Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Old 06-27-2017, 11:48 AM   #121
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Seems strange to be upset with Wotherspoon about his slow development at one of the hardest positions in the league to break into. Why would it offend anyone?
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 11:53 AM   #122
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Seems strange to be upset with Wotherspoon about his slow development at one of the hardest positions in the league to break into. Why would it offend anyone?
I'm not upset with Wotherspoon, if anything I'm upset with management and even then thats not true. I just think that everyone has had enough opportunities to determine Wotherspoon's uses and hes been found wanting.

No harm, no foul, just time to move along.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2017, 12:19 PM   #123
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Even if Wotherspoon doesn't progress, he's the 8th or 9th dman on the depth chart. Flames didn't have many injuries to deal with last season but it's good to be prepared. It's likely he will sign his QO, so he will be cheap. He's an unspectacular player but he is responsible defensively. The blueline in Stockton might be very young, so it could be good to have an AHL vet down there.

Last edited by Geeoff; 06-27-2017 at 12:22 PM.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 12:45 PM   #124
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I'm not upset with Wotherspoon, if anything I'm upset with management and even then thats not true. I just think that everyone has had enough opportunities to determine Wotherspoon's uses and hes been found wanting.

No harm, no foul, just time to move along.
He's played 14 games in two years and is statistically one of the best defenders in the AHL.

He was never going to make the team with Engellend still on the team. There's a decent chance he make's the team over Andersson or Kulak imo.
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DJones For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2017, 01:31 PM   #125
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSpring2013 View Post
there is no crux.. if u bury them it means they passed thru waivers and have no value...
stajan is still a positive on this team.. his cap hit is just too high
if brouwer excels he can still displace any right wing on the team sans frolik.. lazar isnt somekind of 3rd line lock...

maybe tkachuk plays his off wing on the 1st line and bennett or jankowski slides in LW with backlund and the other plays center..
You can only bury a certain amount. I agree that Stajan is a positive palyer on the team. Further, cap hit only matters if you are at the cap.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 01:34 PM   #126
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

I could see Wotherspoon getting qualified as an insurance policy if free agency doesn't go well for Calgary.

Most likely doesn't make the Flames opening roster and a team like Vegas claims him off of waivers and starts the season there.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 01:39 PM   #127
CsInMyBlood
Franchise Player

Location: F*** me. We're so f***ing good, you check the f***ing standings? Lets f***ing go! F***ing practice!
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
Chiasson is like Colborne last season. People were disappointed the Flames didn't qualify and re-sign him, especially after he signed a reasonable deal with the Avalanche. In the end the Flames didn't miss him at all and Colborne was garbage.
Chaisson is a better player than Colborne. Especially without the puck.

Many of us were very happy to get Joe "Powerplay" Colborne off of this team.

Backlund for Selke 2017 2018
Oilers suck.
CsInMyBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 02:52 PM   #128
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CsInMyBlood View Post
Chaisson is a better player than Colborne. Especially without the puck.

Many of us were very happy to get Joe "Powerplay" Colborne off of this team.
I doubt many people would have called Chiasson better than Colborne last off-season. The Flames were able to get Chiasson for a C-level prospect (Sieloff).

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 07:43 AM   #129
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

The deadline for players to accept qualifying offers is tomorrow July 15, 5pm ET. If a player accepts their QO, that is their contract for the upcoming season.

Bennett - won't accept his. Will get much more from the Flames.
Ferland - just signed a new contract yesterday so QO is moot.
Vey - signed in the KHL so can't accept his QO.

Lazar - missed out on getting a one-way QO per the CBA rules by ~20 games played last season. likely holds out for a one-way contract.

The rest: Gillies, Hathaway, Kulak, Rittich, and Wotherspoon, don't have strong cases to get one way deals and/or get much more than their QO NHL salaries. Will be interesting to see if any accept their QO. Some might be willing to sign deals where they get less NHL salary than their QO in exchange for getting more AHL salary (i.e. more guaranteed salary next year regardless of where they play).
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2017, 08:01 AM   #130
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

When do we find out who accepted QO's?
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 10:04 AM   #131
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

What happen to the RFA players who do not accept their QO? Do hey become UFA or stay as RFA contract holdouts?
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 10:13 AM   #132
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
When do we find out who accepted QO's?
Would have likely heard something by now. Safe to say none have accepted their QO. All are probably looking for more AHL money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
What happen to the RFA players who do not accept their QO? Do hey become UFA or stay as RFA contract holdouts?
If a player does not accept his QO, he continues to be an RFA. There is no change in status
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2017, 12:18 AM   #133
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just thought I would bump this.

I keep forgetting neither Kulak or Wotherspoon are signed yet. Good chance 1 if not both of these guys will stick into the season if they have a good preseason so probably not the best idea to play a game of chicken on their part.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 07:52 AM   #134
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
Just thought I would bump this.

I keep forgetting neither Kulak or Wotherspoon are signed yet. Good chance 1 if not both of these guys will stick into the season if they have a good preseason so probably not the best idea to play a game of chicken on their part.
My guess would be that both are looking for one-way deals and the Flames want a two way deal. I don't think either one has earned the one-way deal yet. Maybe Kulak, but he still need to prove he can be a consistent NHL player.

Old 08-16-2017, 07:58 AM   #135
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

I think Kulak would be able to get a one-way somewhere in the league; no idea how that translates into any kind of leverage though.

Isn't it most likely that everyone's just waiting for Bennett to sign first, so they can see what's left over?
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 08:02 AM   #136
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
I think Kulak would be able to get a one-way somewhere in the league; no idea how that translates into any kind of leverage though.

Isn't it most likely that everyone's just waiting for Bennett to sign first, so they can see what's left over?

I doubt it. Money is unlikely the issue. Both would make around $900k at the NHL level.

Old 08-16-2017, 08:13 AM   #137
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just as a refresher but a one way deal has nothing to do with eligibility of being sent down to the farm, it's simply that they get paid the same wage in the NHL and AHL.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 12:49 PM   #138
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
My guess would be that both are looking for one-way deals and the Flames want a two way deal. I don't think either one has earned the one-way deal yet. Maybe Kulak, but he still need to prove he can be a consistent NHL player.
Think more likely they are looking at Bartowski's 2-way deal (the one where he will get paid $400k in the AHL) and asking for something similar.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2017, 02:13 PM   #139
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Think more likely they are looking at Bartowski's 2-way deal (the one where he will get paid $400k in the AHL) and asking for something similar.
Which would be a horrible give from the Flames side with Wotherspoon. He'll likely end up being a tweener in his career, and this season will likely end up playing most of his games in the AHL.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote