Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-26-2017, 10:36 PM   #921
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I don't shed many tears but watching that TSN feature on Hamonic made me well up a bit. What a true pro, one of the best guys in the game.

Old 06-27-2017, 03:49 AM   #922
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

How do I make any trade offer in nhl17 to land hamonic in this offseason in my be a gm game?? Damn you treliving
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bubbsy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2017, 09:06 AM   #923
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Same price we paid for Dougie but doesn't feel like the steal that trade felt like (and was).

I would say this move gives Calgary the best top 4 in the league. Hamonic' contract is fantastic and fits in well with our cap structure. Great trade
Probably because no one thought we could get Hamilton and the trade just happened out of nowhere. On the other hand Hamonic has been on the trade block forever and we were rumored in the running to get him. Plus I think Hamilton is seen as a younger guy with more potential to grow. Hamonic kind of seems like you know what you're going to get.

Top 4 is extremely solid now though. If Smith can play well and the forward group doesn't let us down the team should have a big year.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:00 AM   #924
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackey View Post
Probably because no one thought we could get Hamilton and the trade just happened out of nowhere. On the other hand Hamonic has been on the trade block forever and we were rumored in the running to get him. Plus I think Hamilton is seen as a younger guy with more potential to grow. Hamonic kind of seems like you know what you're going to get.

Top 4 is extremely solid now though. If Smith can play well and the forward group doesn't let us down the team should have a big year.
The thing with Dougie he was coming off a 41pt season as a 21 year old so the sky was the limit in the trade that we may have got a potential number 1 Dman. Hamonic we know we got a 2/3 D that we expect to be our 3/4 and he has an amazing contract.

I think there is some truth to tr Dougie trade literally coming out of nowhere. The rumor really didn't have legs until draft day and the rest is history.

Hamonic was a good 2-4 days of rumors with the Flames heavily rumored to be in the mix at the start.

A similar conclusion could be made if we traded for Landeskog vs Pasternak. Give up the same price for both I think fans would be more excited about Pasternak due to the age difference and the untapped ceiling. Landeskog would also be great but you know what you are getting.

Lastly I think it is easier to stomach moving futures when you get a player coming off an ELC vs a guy that is over 25 and on a contract that takes him to UFA status
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2017, 10:05 AM   #925
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
The thing with Dougie he was coming off a 41pt season as a 21 year old so the sky was the limit in the trade that we may have got a potential number 1 Dman. Hamonic we know we got a 2/3 D that we expect to be our 3/4 and he has an amazing contract.

I think there is some truth to tr Dougie trade literally coming out of nowhere. The rumor really didn't have legs until draft day and the rest is history.

Hamonic was a good 2-4 days of rumors with the Flames heavily rumored to be in the mix at the start.

A similar conclusion could be made if we traded for Landeskog vs Pasternak. Give up the same price for both I think fans would be more excited about Pasternak due to the age difference and the untapped ceiling. Landeskog would also be great but you know what you are getting.

Lastly I think it is easier to stomach moving futures when you get a player coming off an ELC vs a guy that is over 25 and on a contract that takes him to UFA status
Try a good 6 to 8 months of rumors with Calgary heavily in the mix. This trade has been in the works for a long time
Old 06-27-2017, 10:11 AM   #926
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
Try a good 6 to 8 months of rumors with Calgary heavily in the mix. This trade has been in the works for a long time
Well I haven't heard his name since he reminded the trade request after the 2016 season. The rumors were there in 15/16 but the Flames would have had to trade Brodie or Hamilton which was not something they wanted to do.

I could be wrong but the Hamonic trade train didn't really start chugging again until the season ended then not much until expansion was over
Old 06-27-2017, 10:16 AM   #927
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I love the Oiler fan salt of the past few days. They can't help but go back to the Hamilton trade and compare what we have up for Dougie and Hamonic to what they gave up for Reinhart and Larson. While Larson is at least in the same category as Hamilton or Hamonic, Reinhart is not and was lost in expansion.

Treliving inherited 2 great Dmen from Sutter's time in Calgary and has gone out at added 2 more to complete arguably the best top 4 in the league
They can't? Man they gave up Hall, 1st and 2nd for basically Larsson. If I was them I wouldn't bring it up. It is a total embarrassment.

We gave up more picks for Hamilton and Hamonic but we have 2 legit top D

How can they defend their return over that?
The Following User Says Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2017, 11:05 AM   #928
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Chris Nichols @NicholsOnHockey
Burke: "I think the prices (for D) are very steep. We paid a lot to get Travis Hamonic. We would do it again tomorrow." #Flames 1050

Chris Nichols
@NicholsOnHockey
Burke mentioned importance of overlaying any trade w/ where it puts and propels that team, depending on which stage they're in.

Burke: "All teams go through four stages: they crawl, and then they walk, and then they run, and then they sprint."

Burke: "I overpaid badly for Chris Pronger in Anaheim. But we had a parade, so guess what? No one ever talks about it." #NHLDucks
Old 06-28-2017, 11:19 AM   #929
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Burke won a cup in Anaheim? Learn something new everyday...
Old 06-28-2017, 11:26 AM   #930
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
Burke won a cup in Anaheim? Learn something new everyday...
What?

I'm not sure if you're joking or not.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 06-28-2017, 11:30 AM   #931
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
What?

I'm not sure if you're joking or not.
Just pointing the fact he brings it up in almost every interview/press conference.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Da_Chief For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2017, 11:43 AM   #932
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Just pointing the fact he brings it up in almost every interview/press conference.
Oh. That. Fair enough.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2017, 01:04 PM   #933
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Burke: "I think the prices (for D) are very steep. We paid a lot to get Travis Hamonic. We would do it again tomorrow." #Flames 1050

Chris Nichols
@NicholsOnHockey
Burke mentioned importance of overlaying any trade w/ where it puts and propels that team, depending on which stage they're in.

Burke: "All teams go through four stages: they crawl, and then they walk, and then they run, and then they sprint."

Burke: "I overpaid badly for Chris Pronger in Anaheim. But we had a parade, so guess what? No one ever talks about it." #NHLDucks

It's funny how around draft time, paying a first and two 2nds for a guy like Hamonic is considered a steep price to pay, and at the deadline, teams give up a 1st and a 2nd for 2 months of Martin Hanzal and nobody says too much about it.

I get that Calgary's pick could potentially turn into a lottery pick at this point, but that risk is pretty small.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Oil Stain For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2017, 01:13 PM   #934
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What? Burke tooting his own horn - seems so out of character!
Old 06-28-2017, 08:23 PM   #935
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
I don't think he overpaid. Lupul, a prospect (Smid), 1st rounder, conditional 1st rounder and a 2nd isn't an overpayment for one of the best defensemen in the game who was still in his prime. I would liken it to Doughty or Hedman's value right now. I'd pay that price for one of them in a heartbeat.

Funny fact, that 2nd round pick in the Pronger trade was later traded by the oilers (for a player and a pick you never heard of) to NYI and was used to pick Hamonic.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jacks For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2017, 09:42 PM   #936
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Bringing it up... again? Learn to let go.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:45 PM   #937
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
I don't think he overpaid. Lupul, a prospect (Smid), 1st rounder, conditional 1st rounder and a 2nd isn't an overpayment for one of the best defensemen in the game who was still in his prime. I would liken it to Doughty or Hedman's value right now. I'd pay that price for one of them in a heartbeat.

Funny fact, that 2nd round pick in the Pronger trade was later traded by the oilers (for a player and a pick you never heard of) to NYI and was used to pick Hamonic.
Yeah Pronger was an absolute game changer, carrying that Oilers team on his back. You give up anything for that kind of superstar.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:46 PM   #938
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the2bears View Post
Bringing it up... again? Learn to let go.
Joking?
Old 06-28-2017, 09:50 PM   #939
IrishSpring2013
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Joking?
whats good for the goose.. id imagine was his point..
burke talks about his cup.. his pride doth overfloweth.. annoying yes.. but maybe not as annoying as the ones who always post about it.. like theyve stumbled on a great discovery perhaps? Just a guess.

no, im not joking either.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IrishSpring2013 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2017, 09:51 PM   #940
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Joking?
No, I believe he's brought up Burke before in this regard. Seems odd to repeat himself complaining about someone repeating themselves.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to the2bears For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread