Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-27-2017, 03:15 PM   #7001
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
He also said two weeks ago that it would be under $10.

He also said Calgary would protect Brouwer and expose Ferland.

He also said Calgary could never catch Edmonton in the standings (leading to an immediate streak by Calgary and they caught them).

That said, I'd love a $14M 5 year deal.
I have to ask him what kind of drugs hes taking, I appear to be doing this all wrong.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 06-27-2017, 03:16 PM   #7002
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Former HF moderator is losing it on HF Oilers.

Quote:
Yes it is his fault. If he doesn't want to take less, then winning a Cup isn't that big of a priority for him.

So as a fan, if that's the attitude of your captain, why should I care about this product when the players themselves really don't care? I don't watch sports to see who can be paid the most salary.

I got a million other things I could watch, I saw Gretzky win Cups, I don't need to watch some 2nd round exit every year. The Doug Weight Oilers did that for 1/3 the cost.

If they're not interesting in building a special team that has a shot at multiple Cups, then quite frankly I'm not interested in spending any money or high emotion on this team.
Quote:
Nope I'll say straight up. I'd rather watch the NBA. Say what you want about that, but at least I know for sure a LeBron James or Kevin Durant wants to win so bad that they are willing to make large sacrifices to do so.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2017, 03:16 PM   #7003
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I have to ask him what kind of drugs hes taking, I appear to be doing this all wrong.
Well he's pretty much a spokesperson for a guy that runs a retail drug store chain.

The possibilities are endless, and all legal.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 06-27-2017, 03:17 PM   #7004
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by united View Post
Ryan Rishaug‏ @TSNRyanRishaug
McDavid Draisaitl contract watch continues. I'd guess 97 to be in 13m range on an 8 year deal. We'll see.
Make it 14 Connor - 13 is such an unlucky number!
The Following User Says Thank You to Gaudfather For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2017, 03:18 PM   #7005
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2017, 03:29 PM   #7006
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I dont understand. He knows that the 'Doug Weight Oilers' and the NBA effectively have no cost controls right?

I find that the salary cap has made the NHL really interesting, its more nuanced, its harder, the richest team doesnt always win just because they're the richest team.

But at the same time as much as I loathe his existence McDavid is a human being who has to live after hockey, he has to leverage his best years as best he can. Stanley Cup rings arent going to keep him warm at night after his wife leaves him for the local weather girl and his dog runs away and he blows his cash getting stoned on moon rocks while Oiler fans burn his baby's crib.

Just ask Darren McCarty.

Ironically, you know who leaves cash on the table? Support players. The major players tend not to.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 06-27-2017, 03:33 PM   #7007
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

The NHLPA isn't about the middle and lower paid players in the league, its never promoted itself as that.

Its about getting a more then 50% share of the revenue pool, and then basically they don't care about things like pay equity or sharing amongst brothers and all that union label stuff.

The NHLPA has really been about the top paid players and getting them more and more. the NHLPA has been all about maximum rights of movement to the teams that they want to play for.

But the NHLPA doesn't give a crap about Joe 1.25 million, or Bob 2 million, or Jyrki minimumwageo.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2017, 03:33 PM   #7008
Realistic
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I just find it funny that Flames fans clued into the fact that the Coilers were screwed a years before their fans realized that fact!

I think they woke up to that fact when Dreger tweeted that McJesus wanted $14 million and now they are calling Dreger an idiot and now that others are tweeting similar numbers the sky is falling.

I like how their true fans are going to stop watching hockey and McJesus can burn in hell if he wants money rather than win trophies for Edmonton, or the other fans that "know McJesus" and he's more interested in winning and will take one for the team and sign for under $10 million and get the money with his next contract.
Old 06-27-2017, 03:35 PM   #7009
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

If McDavid was truly greedy or about the money, he'd demand a 13 million dollar 2 year deal, and then put the hammer to the Oilers when the cap goes up due to Vegas, then sign a 3 year max dollar deal, and then go UFA.

Old 06-27-2017, 03:41 PM   #7010
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

He's worth every penny of that 14 mil. He needs to stick to his guns and squeen every penny out of them.
Old 06-27-2017, 03:48 PM   #7011
Racki
First Line Centre

Exp:

Is there actual talk of a 5 year deal for McDavid? Oh boy, that would be devastating for the Oilers. It would take him right to UFA status so he could sign with his hometown Maple Leafs or he could win 5 more Hart trophies and demand about $20,000,000 a year. Lose, lose if you're an Oilers fan.
Old 06-27-2017, 03:52 PM   #7012
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:

lol. I love it that he uses the term "special" to describe the Oilers. It's as if he doesn't realize that people have been mocking the Oilers for 10 years for building something "special".

Apparently a lot of their fans didn't quite realize that they were being mocked.
Old 06-27-2017, 04:16 PM   #7013
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

All these fans that keep talking about diving their teams for draft picks. It can work but if you keep grabbing high picks and they're productive this is what you can expect, a short window followed by rebuilding again.

for the Oilers its x10 because they were so horrible at drafting especially after round one that they have no cheap good organizational depth that can step in and allow you to super spend at the top of your lineup.

As well a team that can put together a top line for between 15 and 18 million as opposed to a team that puts together a top line that costs 21 or 22 million is going to have way more options.

Old 06-27-2017, 04:41 PM   #7014
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racki View Post
Is there actual talk of a 5 year deal for McDavid? Oh boy, that would be devastating for the Oilers. It would take him right to UFA status so he could sign with his hometown Maple Leafs or he could win 5 more Hart trophies and demand about $20,000,000 a year. Lose, lose if you're an Oilers fan.
Believe it or not this is the route that most of the "generational" players have done. Crosby, Malkin, Toews, Kane, and Stamkos all signed 5 years deals out of ELC. All of those players signed with the team that drafted them long term
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2017, 04:54 PM   #7015
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Believe it or not this is the route that most of the "generational" players have done. Crosby, Malkin, Toews, Kane, and Stamkos all signed 5 years deals out of ELC. All of those players signed with the team that drafted them long term
You know what all of these guys have in common

Spoiler!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2017, 04:58 PM   #7016
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It's really funny that a shiny new arena and McDavid still can't pry free agents away from seeing more opportunity and promise in Calgary.
Old 06-27-2017, 05:01 PM   #7017
OILFAN #81
Everyone's Favorite Oilfan!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
It's really funny that a shiny new arena and McDavid still can't pry free agents away from seeing more opportunity and promise in Calgary.
What does that mean? Foo? Edmonton told him he wouldn't be guaranteed an NHL spot. Calgary's lack of RW depth naturally made it more attractive for him. Foo will be on the Flames on opening night where that wasn't guaranteed to be the case in Edmonton.

EDIT: Not saying Flames guaranteed him a spot but he is more likely to crack the Flames on the RW. Thanks to timbit on that (the non guarantee).

Last edited by OILFAN #81; 06-27-2017 at 05:03 PM.
Old 06-27-2017, 05:05 PM   #7018
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Right...but each of those teams - Pittsburgh, Tampa and Chicago have had credible chances to win the cup over the past 10 years.

Oilers: Talbot, Leon, McDavid, Lucic (lol), maybe Puljujarvi, RNH (lol)

2009 Penguins: Letang, Crosby, Malkin, Staal, Fleury, Fedotenko, Gonchar, Kunitz

2010 Chicago: Sharp, Toews, Kane, Keith, Hossa, Byfuglien, Hjalmarsson, Seabrook

I dont think anyone would surprise if that after seven years, McDavid bolts to an up and coming team that has all the right pieces in place. Basically, just like Hossa did with the Blackhawks - and here he is, three cups later.
Old 06-27-2017, 05:46 PM   #7019
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
He also said two weeks ago that it would be under $10.

He also said Calgary would protect Brouwer and expose Ferland.

He also said Calgary could never catch Edmonton in the standings (leading to an immediate streak by Calgary and they caught them).

That said, I'd love a $14M 5 year deal.
One look at his Twitter page validates his status as Oiler water carrying propaganda fanboy.

I think Spector is a good person who gets along with others, which is why he's general well liked in media circles. But he has a reputation for this crap. He was a leading pitchfork holder against Bob Goodenow. This was in the pre-cap era, & Goodenow was heinous, but where was the unbiased journalistic integrity? To me it appears as though the end justifies the means in his mind.

He likes to think of himself as a media member full of integrity that holds the team accountable. But the reality is that if the Oilers would have found him too critical they would have drastically limited his access. He had his wrist slapped a few times and figured out how to walk the line.

He admits most of this on a pucktalks podcast of Oiler polit bureau media.

https://audioboom.com/posts/3721941-...on-media-panel
Old 06-27-2017, 06:59 PM   #7020
Realistic
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OILFAN #81 View Post
What does that mean? Foo? Edmonton told him he wouldn't be guaranteed an NHL spot. Calgary's lack of RW depth naturally made it more attractive for him. Foo will be on the Flames on opening night where that wasn't guaranteed to be the case in Edmonton.

EDIT: Not saying Flames guaranteed him a spot but he is more likely to crack the Flames on the RW. Thanks to timbit on that (the non guarantee).
No, Foo went to College and he knows that the Oilers are only headed in one direction, DOWN. You can choose to be a winner in life or you can be a Coiler.
Closed Thread