Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-27-2017, 11:44 AM   #101
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
This is the one that's tough IMO.

Could these teams really have done all the things they said they were going to do to be able to protect everyone?

Anaheim sure - it's feasible they buyout Bieksa and trade Vatanen.

Minnesota - Seems pretty unlikely that they are able to trade at least 3 of Brodin, Staal, Scandella, Dumba, or Haula.

Islanders - Same deal. Unlikely they find takers for at least a couple of Hamonic, De Haan, Hickey, Strome, Nelson, Pelech etc before the draft.

IMO they let Minnesota and the Islanders off the hook by accepting the trades that they did. Especially since they took a bad contract from the Islanders to do so anyways.
You are probably right that VGK could have done better, but then this needs to be balanced against the reality that McPhee must deal with the same 30 people on a regular basis. We are now starting to hear reports that GMs are playing hardball in their negotiations with him because they do not like the fact that he cornered the market on defensemen. How much more difficult would things be for McPhee had he wrought everything he could from his contemporaries in the expansion draft?

I still think that he is probably playing this smartly: 13 draft picks in 2017; six in the top-65. Two late picks in 2018 were spent for Alex Tuch and Reilly Smith. Eleven picks in 2019; five in the top-60. Nine picks in 2020; four in the top-60.

That is 38-draft picks in four years with 15 in the top 65, and two solid, young players. This looks like a pretty good blueprint for a team that will be drafting high in the next two or three years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2017, 02:42 PM   #102
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I still think that he is probably playing this smartly: 13 draft picks in 2017; six in the top-65. Two late picks in 2018 were spent for Alex Tuch and Reilly Smith. Eleven picks in 2019; five in the top-60. Nine picks in 2020; four in the top-60.

That is 38-draft picks in four years with 15 in the top 65, and two solid, young players. This looks like a pretty good blueprint for a team that will be drafting high in the next two or three years.
Agreed, that's how you build a winner in a cap era.

Vegas had a one time chance to receive a ton of draft picks, and they jumped at it.

The NHL gave him the means to accomplish that. I doubt anyone thought he would simply take the best current team he could without regard to the age of the player or his contract. He's properly parlayed better players being available (than in previous expansion drafts) to build for the future.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 04:44 PM   #103
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think the plan was fine (looking to future at the expense of the present), but I still say the execution was poor. There was no guarantee that multiple trades could have happened for these exposed player, as the protection lists would hamper most teams. If it wasn't Dumba, it might have been Scandella or perhaps Zucker would have been the guy left out. Further, they didn't need to take 14 dmen, which would have created its own glut of assets that needed to be moved. I think a couple of more goalies would have been prudent. Finally, this team is going to suck. They might be able to turn it around quickly, or they might be the oilers or panthers before them, sucking for another 10 years. We shall see how it turns out.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 06:28 PM   #104
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

George McPhee: "We wanted to make a deal instead of taking the second or third best player."
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 06:37 PM   #105
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think McPhee and Dorion (sp?) both miscalculated. Lebrun said LV wanted a 1st not to draft Methot, and Ottawa wouldn't pay. In retrospect, there was clearly a deal to be made there that would have netted LV more than a late 2nd that Ottawa should have found palatable... McPhee clearly believed he would be able to flip Methot for a 1st (reasonably I would have thought) and Dorion let ego get in the way and lost a guy who is probably more valuable to the Senators than to any other team...

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 06:41 PM   #106
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
I think McPhee and Dorion (sp?) both miscalculated. Lebrun said LV wanted a 1st not to draft Methot, and Ottawa wouldn't pay. In retrospect, there was clearly a deal to be made there that would have netted LV more than a late 2nd that Ottawa should have found palatable... McPhee clearly believed he would be able to flip Methot for a 1st (reasonably I would have thought) and Dorion let ego get in the way and lost a guy who is probably more valuable to the Senators than to any other team...
Same could be said for all the other D vets he picked.
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:11 PM   #107
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon7 View Post
Same could be said for all the other D vets he picked.
We shall see...

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:12 PM   #108
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder what MTL was ready to pay for Methot.

Seems like Vegas may have gotten boned by a No trade clause.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2017, 10:54 PM   #109
schooner
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
I wonder what MTL was ready to pay for Methot.

Seems like Vegas may have gotten boned by a No trade clause.
Who knows how it plays out, but I am wondering if Dion would have been better off waiving his NMC. Vegas would have probably passed on him and Methot gets protected. Dion salvages his relationship with Ott, where by all reports he wants to be, and they keep the player they really wanted.
schooner is offline   Reply With Quote