Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2017, 11:46 AM   #21
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

FA scoring forwards who were past their prime, and didn't produce for the Flames:
Amonte
Friesen
Jokinen
Kotalik
Morrison
Setoguchi

FA scoring forwards who were past their prime, and produced for the Flames:
Bertuzzi
Nolan

Not 100% sure what my specific point is, but I think the general gist is one worth making.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 12:02 PM   #22
Insane_Flame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
FA scoring forwards who were past their prime, and didn't produce for the Flames:
Amonte
Friesen
Jokinen
Kotalik
Morrison
Setoguchi

Bertuzzi
Nolan

Not 100% sure what my specific point is, but I think the general gist is one worth making.
I do not think you are taking everything into account. We have a much younger motivated and energetic team now. All those guys were joining an already aging unmotivated group. I believe that the culture in the locker room has a lot to do with how each individual performs, i.e. Edmonton. I see a team like the Pens who are always switching up their roll players with cheap veterans and they seem to always have a nice balanced team. I will also disagree with you on Morrison as far as his effectiveness. He may not have put up the points but I specifically remember him being a big help in the way of acting like the glue of the team. He had a very calm cool and collective presence that seemed to make a big difference whenever he was on the ice.
Insane_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 12:03 PM   #23
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Meh, Vrbata is a better scorer on a worse team, and I think he's more likely to be brought in anyway due to his connection with Treliving.
That is because he is the go to guy in Phoenix, seems odd that one would select him due to production when it is marginally better than option B but has never proven he can win or help win in the playoffs. I think Justin Williams would bring so much more to a team than Radim Vrbata.

Yet it makes sense that Treliving would bring him on due to familiarity and more likely cost savings.

Either way both are good choices, I just see Justin Williams as a better option due to his solid playoff performances and knowledge of winning championships.

Last edited by Since1984; 06-27-2017 at 12:05 PM.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 12:08 PM   #24
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Quite surprised to see that both guys had productive years last year. Very productive all things considered.Maybe a little less surprised with Williams given his teammates but still.
The guy just knows how to play with high skill forwards and knows how to win...two things we desperately need on that top line.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 12:08 PM   #25
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
Amonte
Friesen
Jokinen
Kotalik
Morrison
Setoguchi

Bertuzzi
Nolan

Tony Amonte hit a lot of posts, but he produced decently enough for the Flames. 42 points as a 35-year-old and 30 as a 36-year-old... that's fine middle-six production.

Olli Jokinen was scored 54 and 61 points in the two seasons he played here after coming in as a free agent. Not sure how that "isn't producing".

Ales Kotalik wasn't a free agent signing. He was acquired with Higgins for Jokinen and Prust, and was later traded with Regehr for Byron and Butler.

Brendan Morrison also produced quite well for the Flames. He put up 43 points in 66 games as a 36-year-old.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2017, 12:10 PM   #26
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

No to Vrbata. The Flames get torn apart in the playoffs as they don't play rough enough and seem to lose their drive. That will naturally change as they get older.

Williams on the other hand could be a solid veteran presence. Could be great if we brought him as a support player on a short term contract. The issue is that other teams may be willing to offer him 3 years, which I think would be a mistake.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 12:24 PM   #27
nickk382
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Vrbata only plays well on the Coyotes.
nickk382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 12:38 PM   #28
FlamesFanFromBC
First Line Centre

Exp:

Looking at the UFA list I thought about these two. Vrbata can be a good complimentary player with the right pairing but I think I would pass. Williams I wouldn't mind but I'm guessing he will likely go back to Washington or a cup contender.

Also thought would it be working taking a shot at a guy like Vanek?

My question to this thread is would prefer: Vrbata or Williams or Versteeg (at roughly the same price tag)?
FlamesFanFromBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 04:56 PM   #29
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Williams at the trade deadline because after that there's no roster cap. Put him in every 5 games and hose him off come playoffs.
Old 06-27-2017, 05:24 PM   #30
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
Williams at the trade deadline because after that there's no roster cap. Put him in every 5 games and hose him off come playoffs.
Makes more sense to get Williams now, if they actually want him, instead of giving up a good asset to get him at the deadline assuming he's even available.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 06:05 PM   #31
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickk382 View Post
Vrbata only plays well on the Coyotes.
Ya, that 31 goals he scored for the Canucks is terrible.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 06:44 PM   #32
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
Makes more sense to get Williams now, if they actually want him, instead of giving up a good asset to get him at the deadline assuming he's even available.
I don't think he will sign for a team that isn't a contender, so I would agree that it's now or never for Williams.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote