Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-19-2017, 11:36 AM   #6521
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does getting to UFA earlier really matter? The only advantage I see is that another team wouldn't have to deplete itself to trade for him.

Financially, it means he'll only hit one 8 year 'max' deal (max not necessarily being the max allowed under CBA, but whatever amount he wants). If he goes for 8 now, he'll be 29 when that's up - a fine age to sign another 8 year 'max'. 5 + 8 = age 34 after those deals - hard to say what he'd earn at that point.

Not to mention injury risk - would be a shame if he got Lindros'd before signing a full 8.

Hopefully this is just a signal to other teams that he wants to get away, so bring on the offer sheets. I don't think the risk is nearly as significant to wait 1 more year. Edmonton matches, but then the countdown clock is on for them to trade him. Hard to imagine what the trade looks like.

Nylander + Zaitsev + Three 1sts + some more spare picks/parts? I've always thought Toronto was positioned as well as anyone to push their chips in if they wanted.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:41 AM   #6522
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

By signing a 5 year term Connors agent is basically giving all the teams in the NHL advanced notice to start clearing cap space for that year. He would literally be able to create a custom market for his client where teams can trade for him but its no guarantee that they would be able to keep him because he's going to dive into a bidding market with a bunch of teams that have cleared the decks to get a still young generational player.

with an RFA bid there are very few teams that are going to be able to clear that much budget and be willing to give up that many draft picks in a year.

But UFA is a different beast and a 25 or 26 year old Connor hitting the market with really no cost to acquire in team assets outside of the money.

Can you say Yahtzee?

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 05-19-2017, 12:23 PM   #6523
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Before we get our hopes up, Crosby only signed for 5 years after is ELC as well.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:42 PM   #6524
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

If McDavid makes $100 million, it means that I'll probably hear that Treble Charger song more which definitely wouldn't be a negative.

The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2017, 12:46 PM   #6525
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can someone explain to me what "generational player" actually means? It is a very popular term these days. The Oilers drafted a "generational player" in the same year the Sabres did, then the Leafs drafted a "generational player" the very next year.

It seems to me that a "generational player" would be someone that comes along once in a "generation" but that doesn't seem to be what it means at all.

Anyway, since this is a thread about the Oilers, I will say that they are not going to be screwed by the salary demands by their "generational player", but by the crazy contracts they gave to softies and a non-softie named after a town in Italy.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RougeUnderoos For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2017, 12:49 PM   #6526
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

McDavid is what I would call generational. So are Crosby, Lemieux, Gretzky, Orr, and et cetera.

Eichel is not generational. Neither is Matthews.

Old 05-19-2017, 12:55 PM   #6527
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Yep, McDavid isn't proven generational but likely is going to be from what we've seen. There's very few but McDavid should be one of them, the next Crosby so to speak.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:02 PM   #6528
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
McDavid is what I would call generational. So are Crosby, Lemieux, Gretzky, Orr, and et cetera.

Only problem with your theory is everyone you call generational, minus McDavid, has accomplished something.

McDavid, Eichel and Matthews are believed by some to be prospective generational players. So far, none of them are.
The Following User Says Thank You to CalgaryFan1988 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2017, 01:12 PM   #6529
shadowlord
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I completely agree with the above list & comment, but would argue that Eichel & Matthews could become generational if they perform at a generational level over the coming years.

My question though: While there is no doubt that Crosby is generational, is Ovechkin a generational player?
Old 05-19-2017, 01:17 PM   #6530
SofaProfessor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post
Only problem with your theory is everyone you call generational, minus McDavid, has accomplished something.

McDavid, Eichel and Matthews are believed by some to be prospective generational players. So far, none of them are.
Man I am ready jump on the Oilers and nitpick them to pieces as much as anyone else on this forum but to say he hasn't accomplished anything...

First, he has played a season and a half in the NHL due to injury. In his first full season he's a Hart nominee. He may not have won a cup but, again, he's 2 years into his career on a team that still has a ton of holes masked by him and Talbot. Like Crosby he has made 3rd line players look like superstars. When Draisaitl gets his new contract he better have a "McDavid" vanity plate on his lambo and buy his new house on McDavid lane.

I would call him a generational talent as much as it makes me want to throw up. Put him on a more well-rounded team and he's probably still playing hockey this week.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:20 PM   #6531
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Who was the generational player from 1997-2005? Lidstrom maybe? Jagr (despite the mediocre years in Washington)?
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 05-19-2017, 01:25 PM   #6532
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Who was the generational player from 1997-2005? Lidstrom maybe? Jagr (despite the mediocre years in Washington)?
I'd argue Joe Sakic.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:26 PM   #6533
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
And he's not even there if not for McDavid I'm sure. If the Oilers didn't win that final lottery draft, does Chia really leave Boston for Edmonton? I highly doubt it. Even the new, more competent management is a result of the McDavid effect, fluking out in that draft lottery really changed everything for that organization. It's the only reason they're not still in the toilet right now.
My own theory is that the McDavid camp told the oilers that he wasn't going to sign if they didn't clean up the tire fire. I believe that if they didn't win that lottery Lowe/MacT would still be in charge. Hell even with Chiapet in charge you still see those 2 donkeys sitting in the background.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jacks For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2017, 01:30 PM   #6534
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I'd argue Joe Sakic.
Great player, but certainly nowhere near the level of Lemieux or Crosby. There was probably no point at which you could have said he was clearly the best hockey player in the world, and if there was, it was a span of 1-2 years. Lots of guys could say that. Hell, even Peter Forsberg.

If you say Sakic was generational, I think you'd have to say Yzerman for sure, probably Brett Hull, Pavel Bure, Datsyuk, Malkin, Chara, Stamkos... not a ton of guys who were on that level of talent, but definitely more than one in a generation.

I suppose you could make the argument for Hasek? Shorter span, though.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 05-19-2017, 01:30 PM   #6535
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SofaProfessor View Post
Man I am ready jump on the Oilers and nitpick them to pieces as much as anyone else on this forum but to say he hasn't accomplished anything...

First, he has played a season and a half in the NHL due to injury. In his first full season he's a Hart nominee. He may not have won a cup but, again, he's 2 years into his career on a team that still has a ton of holes masked by him and Talbot. Like Crosby he has made 3rd line players look like superstars. When Draisaitl gets his new contract he better have a "McDavid" vanity plate on his lambo and buy his new house on McDavid lane.

I would call him a generational talent as much as it makes me want to throw up. Put him on a more well-rounded team and he's probably still playing hockey this week.
I just think he's close to becoming one. Couple more seasons and he'll be there. I wasn't trying to knock McDavid down, moreso the media for being so free with the word "generational talent".

Eichel and Matthews have a long ways to go.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:54 PM   #6536
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

I wouldn't say Matthews has a long way to go. Kid just put up 40 in a rookie season as an 18 year old, and plays a pretty impressive all around game.
He and McDavid are much different players but I'm not sure that the gap between the two is dramatic.
I see Eichel a bit differently as I don't think he has the same ability to elevate those around him.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2017, 02:05 PM   #6537
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, but there's no guarantee that he won't regress as a sophomore. Lots of good players do. I'm sure he'll be very good, but I'm not ready to say it's reasonable to expect him to score 35+ every year, that's for sure.

I am however ready to assume that barring injury, McDavid will be in the Art Ross race every year.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:12 PM   #6538
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

McDavid is incredible and may have generational talent, but is not yet a generational player and should never be in the same sentence as Bobby Orr unless it is to make the statement I just made.

But I get your point. Matthews is pretty damn good though. The gap may not be huge.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2017, 02:25 PM   #6539
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Lindros was called generational at one time as well.

Let's wait to see how his career plays out prior to putting him in or near that list.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2017, 02:28 PM   #6540
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I'd argue Joe Sakic.
I like Burnaby Joe, but if we are putting his name out there i think we should put Stevie Y's name out there in the same breath, and I an not sure we should do either.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
Closed Thread