Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2015, 02:57 PM   #261
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Subway can be healthy if you pick what goes on correctly, but most subs that are served there aren't. I find their food/sauces very saltie.
I never put sauces on subs or burgers. For me there are enough ingredients to satisfy my taste buds. Sauces just drown out whatever ingredients you use. Considering this I like Subway and my choice for burgers is A&W.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2015, 03:34 PM   #262
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
I never put sauces on subs or burgers. For me there are enough ingredients to satisfy my taste buds. Sauces just drown out whatever ingredients you use. Considering this I like Subway and my choice for burgers is A&W.
On a burger sure, but I can't even fathom eating a sub with no sauce. Like you mean not even mayo or anything, like just a completely dry sub?

I'm trying to picture eating one like that, and it just seems like it would be a huge chore.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 05:01 PM   #263
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post

It's like the people that try and tell me I only like the CFL because TSN tells me too.
That would be me.

And it's true.

There is no possible other explanation for anyone to knowingly choose to watch Chris Schultz.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2015, 05:12 PM   #264
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameswin View Post
On a burger sure, but I can't even fathom eating a sub with no sauce. Like you mean not even mayo or anything, like just a completely dry sub?

I'm trying to picture eating one like that, and it just seems like it would be a huge chore.
I put lettuce, tomatoes, black olives, onions, and cheese besides whatever meat on my sub and it's fine. Maybe salt and pepper but no sauce. I like to taste the ingredients.

sometimes they'll have a pork rib choice and than I'll get the barbecue sauce but otherwise no sauce.

Last edited by Vulcan; 05-24-2015 at 05:15 PM.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 05:26 PM   #265
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
I put lettuce, tomatoes, black olives, onions, and cheese besides whatever meat on my sub and it's fine. Maybe salt and pepper but no sauce. I like to taste the ingredients.

sometimes they'll have a pork rib choice and than I'll get the barbecue sauce but otherwise no sauce.
You're from another planet.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2015, 05:39 PM   #266
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm the same at subway: no sauce for me. The main reason I opt out of sauce/Mayo is because no matter what Subway you're in, in any part of the world, they don't take you seriously when you ask for 'just a little' sauce.

The taste of the ingredients ends up being drowned out and what should be a healthy option becomes a flotilla of fat.

It took a while, but over the years, I think my tastebuds have become better for it.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Barnet Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2015, 05:59 PM   #267
burnin_vernon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I would be reluctant to call Subway healthy. It can be low in calories, but nothing about that rubberized piece of "chicken", for instance, is what I would call healthy.
burnin_vernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 06:17 PM   #268
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

The key is to put mustard on your sub. It is far less bad for you than things like mayo or their sub sauce, but gives you a bit of that creaminess and additional flavor.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 06:38 PM   #269
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

the problem with mustard at Subway is that they have no concept of "a little mustard" or "light on the mustard". They just blast the thing with it and it overpowers everything else.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2015, 06:40 PM   #270
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
the problem with mustard at Subway is that they have no concept of "a little mustard" or "light on the mustard". They just blast the thing with it and it overpowers everything else.
Yeah that's true, the concept of "a little" is something they can't grasp.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 06:51 PM   #271
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
Yeah that's true, the concept of "a little" is something they can't grasp.
Shake, shake, shake......BLAAAAPPPP, and there's mustard f$$$ing everywhere. I now either get them to scape it off or make me a new one (that induces the second blank stare) I know it sounds dickish, and I like mustard, but most of the employees just don't get it. Same goes for the lettuce, "a little bit of lettuce", which I always say, apparently means two heaping handfuls. "Now take half of that lettuce off and add tomatoes, green peppers, cucumbers and onions", that gets me the second blank stare. And people confuse "freshly made" with "fresh". The Subway ingredients are far from fresh; processed meats, cheese and vegetables that have been sitting in those stainless steel tubs for days. I know the busier locations turn over their ingredients regularly, but other locations that aren't so busy will keep tose sliced tomatoes untill customers refuse them, which I havs also done and this resulted in a very prolonged blank stare.

As for Tim Hortons food, the fact that they are constantly introducing new items, and abandoning others speaks for itself. Im not a coffee drinker so I can't speak on that, but the breakfasts stink compared to A and W, which I like the best, and to McDonalds. I also don't care for their donuts but I do like Timbits. I also like the fact that Tim Hortons is very supportive within the community, Timbits hockey/ soccer, local and national curling sponsorships, Campday, heck they even donated coffee, muffins and doughnuts for our family reunion. For those reasons I still buys stuff there eventhough it is not my favorite.

Last edited by Derek Sutton; 05-24-2015 at 07:26 PM.
Derek Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek Sutton For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2015, 08:10 AM   #272
WilsonFourTwo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
She would literally drive by (or have me drive by) completely legitimate options so that we could sit in a line-up, sometimes right out onto the road, so she could get a coffee and muffin. Coffee Time was right across the street and sold the same stuff. I swear it is indoctrination for most people.
I've mentioned this example before, but there was a Coffee Time right next to my condo several years ago. I used to go in pretty regularly on my walk to work. Decent food and terrific coffee provided by a very, very friendly family that lived in the neighborhood.

They went broke. The place was a ghost town for the ~18 months of operation.

6 months and a quick renovation later, Tim Hortons opened in the exact same location. People line up out the door and cars line up out onto the street. And I would argue that it was (is?) one of the worst locations I've ever been to.

Brand recognition is, apparently, everything.

WilsonFourTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 09:17 AM   #273
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
How is this argument still trotted out again and again and again? At what Starbucks do you spend $4 on a coffee?

You want some specialty drink sure, you can spend upwards of $4. You want just a coffee? The same size that runs me $1.90 at Tims is about $2.15 at Starbucks.

You also missed the number one reason: marketing.
The biggest size is 2.89. I get it all the time, it's a gigantic cup of coffee, I don't feel ripped off at all. Love starbucks, timmy's is trash by comparison IMO.
Fire of the Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 10:29 AM   #274
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Yes. More sauce for the rest of us.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 10:34 AM   #275
Igster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm with you Vulcan. Both my wife and I always ask for no sauce. Anything they put on just kills the taste of anything else and as pointed out, they just don't get "light" or "a little". I simply can't understand why someone would want so much mayo on something that it pours out the side of the burger/sub/whatever when you bite down and it's all you can taste. Disgusting.
Igster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Igster For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2015, 08:08 PM   #276
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
A little mustard goes a long way on a sub and when it's busy at lunch they just squirt the sauces out of the bottle with little regard for accuracy. I don't even get mustard on subs anymore because of this and usually just opt for sweet onion and sub sauce.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 09:53 PM   #277
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

Subway connoisseurs. Now I've seen it all.
Old 05-25-2015, 10:51 PM   #278
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammies View Post
Subway connoisseurs. Now I've seen it all.
There's a reason they let you pick your toppings. So you can make it to your taste.

Radical thinking, I know.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 11:33 PM   #279
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, even when you say 'just a little sauce' they bomb it on there often.

Personally I like getting a thin strip of whatever sauce goes with the sandwich (sweet onion, chipotle, whatever) and then a thin strip of the 'sub sauce' on the veggies. I always get a veggie heavy sub though I figure it evens out. Often everything but hot peppers.
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 11:51 PM   #280
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

I could never go sans sauce, but fully agree Subway goes way too hard with theirs. Mayo or ranch 'splosions mid-bite are the worst.

The first mistake is not going to Mr. Sub
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote