Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2014, 09:56 AM   #1041
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
I'm trying to remember the passage with the fight, but didn't Oberyn pull a classic WWF/WWE move and turn his back while gloating thinking he won?

I seem to recall it like that, and being upset about it going down like that at the time.
He didn't turn his back but he hesitated, allowing Gregor to grab his knee and pull him down.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ped For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2014, 10:02 AM   #1042
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ah so that is what is was. Been a few years since I read it.

The hesitation is an interesting thing, especially in light of Bronn's comment in his talk with Tyrion about "one mis-step" and he would be done. Maybe I'm reading into it too much but perhaps the show put that in as foreshadowing for the ultimate end of the fight?
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2014, 10:03 AM   #1043
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Yea IIRC he assumed Gregor was about to make his confession about killing/raping Elia and so Oberyn sort of paused/leaned in slightly to hear it through his gurgles from the painful poison ripping through his veins. Gregor seized the opportunity to smash in his face and kill him while he yelled out his sisters name.

edit: Yup that is a pretty safe bet and it will probably have people yelling NO DON'T STOP!!! right before it happens.

Great effect.
Old 05-20-2014, 11:32 PM   #1044
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

I thought the oberyn/Tyrion exchange was pretty powerful.

When does stonehart make her appearance?
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 08:55 AM   #1045
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
When does stonehart make her appearance?
Season end cliffhanger would be my guess.
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 08:02 PM   #1046
The Coppernian One
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Yes, Oberyn wanted Gregor to make his confession. He got that but died getting it. That fight/scene has potential to be amazing. Not only the fight itself, but also the up and downs of both Cersei and Tyrion during it.

My only dissapointment is that I actually really like the Oberyn character and his portrayal.
The Coppernian One is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Coppernian One For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2014, 11:00 PM   #1047
Yasa
First Line Centre

Exp:

If I were to guess, Stoneheart will show up at the very end. Brienne and Pod will meet her and then the fate of them will be unknown.
Yasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:11 PM   #1048
19Yzerman19
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasa View Post
If I were to guess, Stoneheart will show up at the very end. Brienne and Pod will meet her and then the fate of them will be unknown.
This doesn't happen until late book 4, does it? I would think they'd do a general reveal of the Brotherhood ####ing some Lannisters or Freys up, and then going to their commander to ask what to do with the prisoners. Season ends with a reveal of Cat's face, and her rasping "Hang them."

's how I'd do it anyway.
19Yzerman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 12:11 AM   #1049
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Lena Headey posted a picture of a heart made out of rocks to her instagram (or whatever) so people were thinking that it was a reference to Stoneheart.

http://web.stagram.com/p/703820290286423499_352398842
Old 05-22-2014, 08:30 AM   #1050
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Yzerman19 View Post
This doesn't happen until late book 4, does it? I would think they'd do a general reveal of the Brotherhood ####ing some Lannisters or Freys up, and then going to their commander to ask what to do with the prisoners. Season ends with a reveal of Cat's face, and her rasping "Hang them."

's how I'd do it anyway.
Stoneheart appears at the very end of book 3
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 09:10 AM   #1051
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
I think he was referring to Brienne and Pod meeting lady Stoneheart. That does not happen until the end of 4.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 09:13 AM   #1052
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Yeah but she doesn't encounter Brienne until late book 4. There is a bunch of Brienne/Pod to go before she meets Lady Stoneheart.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 09:17 AM   #1053
Hessen
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

It's been too long since I read the books. I'm having troubles distinguishing between events within. I'm going to reread 4 and 5 back to back in the coming weeks...
Hessen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 09:17 AM   #1054
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead View Post
Yeah but she doesn't encounter Brienne until late book 4. There is a bunch of Brienne/Pod to go before she meets Lady Stoneheart.
I can't recall one significant thing they do though, from memory they just wander aimlessly for a while and talk. Unless I'm forgetting something significant, they could just cut all of that.
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 09:29 AM   #1055
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Coppernian One View Post
Yes, Oberyn wanted Gregor to make his confession. He got that but died getting it. That fight/scene has potential to be amazing. Not only the fight itself, but also the up and downs of both Cersei and Tyrion during it.

My only dissapointment is that I actually really like the Oberyn character and his portrayal.

I hope Benioff and Weiss aren't over-hyping it....
Quote:
It’s not just people hacking at each other with spears and swords. It’s the culmination of 20 years of anger and hatred and thirst for vengeance coming to a head in this amazing set piece that [stunt coordinator Paul Herbert and swordmaster C.C. Smiff] have put together. The fight delivers beyond our expectations.
http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/05/20/ga...-the-mountain/
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Old 05-22-2014, 09:39 AM   #1056
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icon View Post
I can't recall one significant thing they do though, from memory they just wander aimlessly for a while and talk. Unless I'm forgetting something significant, they could just cut all of that.
It depends how they want to play the Hound. I suppose the whole Quiet Isle scene could be dropped, although the whole "is the Hound dead or not" happening in the books could be rendered moot.

That's kind of the problem - the TV show really seems to be accelerating some of the plot lines, and things that are still in question at the end of book 5 are being dealt with on the show that has major book 3 plot points coming.

It just feels like the timing on these things is being skewed.
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Old 05-22-2014, 10:25 AM   #1057
Flames89
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead View Post
That's kind of the problem - the TV show really seems to be accelerating some of the plot lines, and things that are still in question at the end of book 5 are being dealt with on the show that has major book 3 plot points coming.
Please elaborate...
Flames89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 11:46 AM   #1058
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

All I am referring to is in the books there is some ambiguity with whether the Hound is dead or not. As of the end of book 5, we aren't sure.

The show appears to be about to introduce this (with Arya wanting to use fire to cleanse the wound and the Hound won't let her). Is the show going to keep his status as ambiguous?
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Old 05-22-2014, 01:26 PM   #1059
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think they will - Arya will just leave him be when she goes on her separate way. They won't show a death scene for him - you'll likely see him at peace digging graves in a later season.
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 05:37 PM   #1060
Yasa
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Yzerman19 View Post

's how I'd do it anyway.
You're right, but I think they'll condense that whole thing into one single moment. I liked Pod and Brienne's adventure in the book, but it won't add much to the show. Plus with Stoneheart only having two appearances, they might try to cut it down to one for suspense. Although that leaves them nothing to continue with next season, so I'm really not sure.
Yasa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
books , it is known , spoilers , winter is coming