Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2016, 01:57 PM   #2041
Jables16
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Was just thinking that myself, in the books under LSH the Brotherhood certainly become more dark and disreputable but they don't just go around killing innocent people for no reason. Don't know why all his followers were killed but perhaps the Speton's past he mentioned in the wars is what got him hung.
Old 06-06-2016, 06:22 PM   #2042
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I thought it would be weird for the Brotherhood to kill a bunch of innocent people, when they were supposedly created to stand up for the innocent peasants caught between the North and the Lannisters.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 10:41 PM   #2043
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

The TV Thread folks talking about how much patience they've had waiting for some storylines to "pay off"...just made me snicker a bit.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 10:53 PM   #2044
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

TV show years are like 7 book years.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2016, 07:09 AM   #2045
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

So what city were Theon and Yara in? Pentos?
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 07:16 AM   #2046
underGRADFlame
Lives In Fear Of Labelling

Exp:

I think they were in Volantis
underGRADFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to underGRADFlame For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2016, 07:21 AM   #2047
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
Yeah, I thought it would be weird for the Brotherhood to kill a bunch of innocent people, when they were supposedly created to stand up for the innocent peasants caught between the North and the Lannisters.
Interestingly, I'm wondering if they're setting up Lady Stoneheart as a bad guy and if the Hound is going to come after her. This would be a good twist and set up the Jamie redemption story.

I would welcome that. There's not many good bad guys left in the show. Euron is crap. Ramsey is crap. The White Walkers are just boogey men. Baelish is pretty good, but we need some better villains to drive the story home.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 08:44 AM   #2048
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The High Sparrow is a pretty good villain I think. The threat on Olenna's life, coercing Margaery into a baby factory, he's transforming from smiling pious ass to a complete monster.

True Euron so far has acted like a frat bro. But if you read the chapter GRRM read at Balticon on him, he makes Ramsay look like a bunny in comparison. (GRRM's words) If they bring some of that character over into the show, that Greyjoy plot will become way more fun and consequential.
saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 09:05 AM   #2049
Kavvy
Self Imposed Exile

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
Interestingly, I'm wondering if they're setting up Lady Stoneheart as a bad guy and if the Hound is going to come after her. This would be a good twist and set up the Jamie redemption story.

I would welcome that. There's not many good bad guys left in the show. Euron is crap. Ramsey is crap. The White Walkers are just boogey men. Baelish is pretty good, but we need some better villains to drive the story home.
GRRM said StoneHeart will not be in the show.

Could he lie, sure, but I don't think she is going to make an appearance.

The Hound is only going after his bro
Kavvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 01:41 PM   #2050
Hessen
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I can see Cersi calling for a trial by combat with Sir Strong as her champion then seeing Sandor appear as the champion of the Faithful.
Hessen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 02:49 PM   #2051
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hessen View Post
I can see Cersi calling for a trial by combat with Sir Strong as her champion then seeing Sandor appear as the champion of the Faithful.
i think it goes down pretty much the same way the hand of the king tournament went. Loras Vs. the Mountain with The Hound interfering to protect loras after Loras had won. Then something happens with Tommen who is killed and Cersei decides to burn this mother down.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2016, 05:46 PM   #2052
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
So what city were Theon and Yara in? Pentos?
Quote:
Originally Posted by underGRADFlame View Post
I think they were in Volantis
Yes, the long bridge with all the buildings on it was seen when Varys and Tyrion went to Volantis last season.

Later on, the Westerosi captain who Arya bought passage from was saying that the Iron Fleet was spotted in Slavers' Bay. Either his information was bad, or some time had passed between when we saw Yara and Theon and when we saw Arya because Slavers' Bay is quite far from Volantis.
Old 06-08-2016, 12:18 PM   #2053
Jables16
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hessen View Post
I thought they were going to go that way with the Hound's return as well they've been saying Cersei's trial is only a few days away for some time now and Sandor seems to be off on a revenge storyline against the Brotherhood now. Maybe he gets there but I don't see how at this point. Also, it seems like he's not and may never be 100% after breaking his leg, don't know if the Faith would put all their, well... faith in him.
Old 06-09-2016, 11:54 AM   #2054
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

So is it fair to assume that Ian McShane's character was a combination of the Elder Brother and Septon Meribald?
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 01:17 PM   #2055
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
So is it fair to assume that Ian McShane's character was a combination of the Elder Brother and Septon Meribald?
No...maybe...I guess...not sure? The character's name in casting was "Brother Ray", and he certainly had more characteristics of Septon Meribald than Elder Brother, apart from EB being at a kind of monk commune.

IGN has an interesting take on the character and his connection to the books (specifically the Broken Man theme and Septon Meribald's speech to Podrick and Brienne):

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2016/06/0...ken-men-speech

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 04:02 PM   #2056
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also that was Lem Lemoncloak in the last episode, right? Should be pretty much a guarantee that we're getting LSH at some point in the next two episodes (I would wager to close out the season).

Old 06-09-2016, 04:22 PM   #2057
Kavvy
Self Imposed Exile

Exp:

Quote:
Also that was Lem Lemoncloak in the last episode, right? Should be pretty much a guarantee that we're getting LSH at some point in the next two episodes (I would wager to close out the season).

Again GRRM recently said, as of a couple weeks, LSH is not in the show..

He could lie of course, but I don't think he really has, only been aloof.
Kavvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 04:52 PM   #2058
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavvy View Post
Again GRRM recently said, as of a couple weeks, LSH is not in the show..

He could lie of course, but I don't think he really has, only been aloof.
Meh, I don't put much stock in that. One thing that does sort of make sense with her not being in the show is that Lem wasn't really the type to just start murdering innocents for no apparent reason.
Old 06-10-2016, 07:45 AM   #2059
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
Meh, I don't put much stock in that. One thing that does sort of make sense with her not being in the show is that Lem wasn't really the type to just start murdering innocents for no apparent reason.
I thought that brother ray was a Frey soldier at one time and probably left after the red wedding? Now the bwb has tracked him down and that's why he got hung.
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 09:41 AM   #2060
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
I thought that brother ray was a Frey soldier at one time and probably left after the red wedding? Now the bwb has tracked him down and that's why he got hung.
I thought that could be possible as well but it doesn't make sense why they murdered his followers.

Tags
books , it is known , spoilers , winter is coming