Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2022, 09:56 AM   #1
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Joe Rogan cancellation watch

So the left has been salivating to get this guy cancelled for some time now because of his anti-vax sentiment and misinformation on his podcast. The right, for their credit, has glorified this guy in a stupid way.

The latest in the last couple days has been video of Rogan using the n-word a bunch of times, but the real problem is him comparing black people to Apes from the Planet of the Apes, and saying that black people have different brains and are physically Superior to white people.

I think he's done for with Spotify. Thoughts?
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2022, 09:57 AM   #2
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope spotify ditches him so his old episodes will be on youtube again
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2022, 10:03 AM   #3
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not sure Spotify is interesting in ditching Rogan but if there is enough public or corporate sentiment they will obviously cut ties.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 10:20 AM   #4
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Cancelled? Spotify paid Rogan $100 million to host his podcasts. If they dump him, that would be their choice. If they keep him and lose other content/advertisers, that is their choice. Not much to see here.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fighting Banana Slug For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2022, 10:26 AM   #5
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought Rogan's "apologies" were pretty well articulated, but ultimately the cancel mob has smelled blood and will continue at it. Will be interesting to see how it shakes out since, like Aaron Rodgers and Chappelle, he's too much of a cash cow to cancel.

Either way, thought this was funny

https://twitter.com/user/status/1490130249291644929
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 10:29 AM   #6
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't have a horse in this race since it doesn't matter to me if Rogan is de-platformed or not. However, the recent saga with Dwayne Johnson is a perfect encapsulation of how we're entirely unserious as a society.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 10:31 AM   #7
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
I hope spotify ditches him so his old episodes will be on youtube again
117 episodes removed as of this morning, so perhaps your wish has been granted, at least for those 117.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 10:33 AM   #8
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

I want Spotify to ditch him, because artists I want to listen to keep leaving the platform because of him.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Amethyst For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2022, 10:39 AM   #9
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
I thought Rogan's "apologies" were pretty well articulated, but ultimately the cancel mob has smelled blood and will continue at it. Will be interesting to see how it shakes out since, like Aaron Rodgers and Chappelle, he's too much of a cash cow to cancel.

Either way, thought this was funny

https://twitter.com/user/status/1490130249291644929
Always the interesting part. It's got very little to do with him saying the N word, it's just that people want him gone so picked out new ammo.

Bill Burr said the N-word probably 500 times on stage in the early to mid 2000's but nobody cares because he's not a target
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2022, 10:48 AM   #10
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Always the interesting part. It's got very little to do with him saying the N word, it's just that people want him gone so picked out new ammo.

Bill Burr said the N-word probably 500 times on stage in the early to mid 2000's but nobody cares because he's not a target
Also, most of these folks don't grasp comedy. Specifically stand-up comedy.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Old 02-06-2022, 10:50 AM   #11
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
Neither does Joe Rogan, though.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2022, 10:54 AM   #12
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Remember, it's only comedy until you don't agree with it. Then it's statements
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2022, 10:57 AM   #13
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Remember, it's only comedy until you don't agree with it. Then it's statements
I think Rogan is hilarious. I don't think making "jokes" about black people reminding him of apes is funny or acceptable.
Old 02-06-2022, 11:04 AM   #14
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Not that I want to defend him but I don’t think he compared anyone to an ape. If you listen to his version of events it seems like just a situation that was maybe a bad choice of words that someone is finding a way to exploit.

Something about feeing like he was in planet of the apes cause they were completely out of place in the neighborhood? Maybe it’s just grasping at straws to explain it on his part but it sounds like a nothing burger to me.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 11:04 AM   #15
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
I think Rogan is hilarious. I don't think making "jokes" about black people reminding him of apes is funny or acceptable.
I don't either and I sure don't find it funny. I'm not much of a fan of his standup in general and rarely listen to the podcast, in the last 10 years I've seen maybe 10 episodes. I just don't buy the cancel culture angle on this, that bit has been known about and public for over a decade and it's only being used against him now that people are up in arms about other stuff that he's said.

I don't even care if he gets booted from Spotify, like I said. Then I can watch the old episodes with Neil deGrasse Tyson again that I used to love to re-listen to every once and a while

Last edited by btimbit; 02-06-2022 at 11:08 AM.
Old 02-06-2022, 11:09 AM   #16
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes, there's definitely a "line" in comedy. It's all in how you construct the joke and how you address the subject. Jim Jefferies has done a pretty good job, albeit lower key, of transitioning his comedy and showcasing how the line moves.

This is one of my favorite Burr pieces, but it certainly wouldn't pass muster today simply because he used the F-word. Forget that the subject is toxic masculinity and engrained homophobia.

NSFW!

As for Rogan, I believe he should be more responsible with his discourse and how he handles his guests given his reach and influence, but ultimately it is up to the consumer to digest his content critically.

-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Old 02-06-2022, 11:09 AM   #17
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
Not that I want to defend him but I don’t think he compared anyone to an ape. If you listen to his version of events it seems like just a situation that was maybe a bad choice of words that someone is finding a way to exploit.

Something about feeing like he was in planet of the apes cause they were completely out of place in the neighborhood? Maybe it’s just grasping at straws to explain it on his part but it sounds like a nothing burger to me.

I don't know, there's another podcast where he clearly says that black people are physically Superior to white people but have different brains.

I wasn't aware of any of this ####. I'm glad it's out now.
Old 02-06-2022, 11:09 AM   #18
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

This guy distributed misinformation on Covid resulting in lower vaccination rates which has resulted in increased deaths from Covid. Now should people believe Rogan as a source, obviously not, but his actions have consequences.

So if artists decide to take a stand and pull their music because they don’t want to be associated with him that is a reasonable position and if Spotify decides that these artists offer more value then Rogan does that is a business decision.

This isn’t about a random comedy special 15 years ago. This guy is actively disseminating misinformation. Why shouldn’t there be consequences for that. This isn’t the “Angry woke mob” coming for him, he is not a victim.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2022, 11:10 AM   #19
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
As for Rogan, I believe he should be more responsible with his discourse and how he handles his guests given his reach and influence, but ultimately it is up to the consumer to digest his content critically.
Exactly this.

I don't like him much, so I don't watch him much. It's literally that simple.

I also, in the words of Jim Jefferies, don't take health advice from comedians. It's just one of my things.
If Tom Segura told me cutting my toe off will make me immune to aids, I'm not getting a knife out
Old 02-06-2022, 11:13 AM   #20
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't necessarily think he should be banished from the airwaves. But, he sure is a major influence on that 20-50 yo male audience. I think his show has done more widespread damage to vaccine confidence than any other single source.

I admire Neil Young's stance on this, and will probably cancel our subscription if my wife lets me. I really don't feel like contributing money that goes to Rogan. We already pay for YouTube Premium family and get YouTube music with that, so I wouldn't mind ditching it anyway, it's just all those playlists etc that need to be re-done.

Spotify has a big problem trying to sort this out.

Last edited by nfotiu; 02-06-2022 at 11:28 AM.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote