Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2024, 07:24 AM   #21
Nammer403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by My2Cents View Post
I have a Secret Lab chair. They are pretty amazing, nothing bad to say about it.
Are you using this for long hours? Ive been debating on this or a used steel case for wfh
Old 02-23-2024, 07:26 AM   #22
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

I used to think people were crazy for buying the Aeron for $1500 CAD.

But its a great chair.

Can get bought second hand for a lot cheaper, but still maintains a good resale value which is insane.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 07:52 AM   #23
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
I didn't want to break the bank, so I went with the house brand from Source. I've been using this guy daily for 5 years and it's been surprisingly great. I was limited for options due to height, but this one goes nice and high:

https://www.sourceofficefurniture.ca...r-black-fabric
I think that's the chair I've got too! I got from Source but I wasn't sure the exact model.

Crazy value IMO.

Funny thing is I actually purchased an Embody AND an Aeron. The Embody I resold for what I paid for it and the Aeron my wife liked so she kept it.

I was too fat for both of them.

Now that I've lost a lot of weight I may try the Embody again, I really liked it.

But no rush that Source chair is great, very comfortable, and it's great for really big people too.

EDIT: Oh and there's a headrest available which I got.
Old 02-23-2024, 08:24 AM   #24
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If you are looking for used, check out allsold.ca. They buy up inventory from companies when they downsize or go under. The only catch is with the better quality chairs you have to know what the value is for that particular chair used. There are some deals to be had but also some overpriced chairs.

If you are wanting new, go to one of the major manufacturer dealers in town. (COI, HBI,RGO) They will have good chairs in a variety of price points with full warranties. Something to consider is if you want a fully adjustable chair or a weight adjustment chair. If you are a person that adjusts you chair on a daily basis they get fully adjustable. If not I would suggest looking at weigh control chairs. They use more active ergonomics rather than user defined. There are some really good options for those out there. Look to see if it has a "boost" option. That will allow for users of different weight to get the proper tilt setting. At minimum, look for a chair with a seat slider options.

Another test for a better quality chair is how the synchro-tilt works. When you recline back the arms should not move with the back. That that changes where you arms interact with your worksurface. Most cheaper chairs do this.

Stay away from gaming chairs. Most of them overhyped sh&t chairs and others are usually rebranded chairs from a manufacturers main line.
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 08:59 AM   #25
photon

Exp:

RGO is interesting, you can't just walk in I had to make an appointment to see the Steelcase Think. Which I did, I liked it a lot but went with the Source one.

Because of the fancy store and obvious corporate focus I wasn't even going to get a quote but she sent me one anyway and I was really surprised the price from RGO was quite a bit less than ordering directly from Steelcase.
Old 02-23-2024, 09:03 AM   #26
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had an old boss who gave up the 'Chair Life' and swapped it all out for a Yoga Ball.

You could try that.

Although...while I didnt stay long there I can comment...the 'Yoga Ball Experiment' did not go well.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 09:12 AM   #27
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Locke's last day on the job before becoming his own boss...

Old 02-23-2024, 09:15 AM   #28
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

allsold.ca has a lot of selection but that is because the guy overprices everything. Other used dealers are a lot cheaper.
Example: you can get a Leap v2 for $200 cheaper with these guys.
https://premiereofficefurniture.ca/used-desk-chairs
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jacks For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2024, 09:41 AM   #29
photon

Exp:

I purchased a chair from Premiere (not an office chair), $50 for a chair that was regular like $600 or something.

Also the Steelcase Gesture has the best chair arms I've ever seen.
Old 02-23-2024, 09:46 AM   #30
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Anyone have suggestions for convincing the boss to GET me a new chair?

The chair in my office was so bad I switched it out for another unused one, but now I have a sknny task chair without arms, isn't very soft, and sinks slowly over the course of a day so that I have to raise it again a couple times during the day.
Old 02-23-2024, 09:53 AM   #31
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
Anyone have suggestions for convincing the boss to GET me a new chair?

The chair in my office was so bad I switched it out for another unused one, but now I have a sknny task chair without arms, isn't very soft, and sinks slowly over the course of a day so that I have to raise it again a couple times during the day.
NSFW!

NSFW for language.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg

Last edited by Locke; 02-23-2024 at 10:50 AM.
Old 02-23-2024, 10:08 AM   #32
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

My son bought a secret Labs chair...

Dropped close to a grand on it I think. (His money...didnt ask for details)

It has held up well and he spends a lot of time online.
Old 02-23-2024, 11:30 AM   #33
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
RGO is interesting, you can't just walk in I had to make an appointment to see the Steelcase Think. Which I did, I liked it a lot but went with the Source one.

Because of the fancy store and obvious corporate focus I wasn't even going to get a quote but she sent me one anyway and I was really surprised the price from RGO was quite a bit less than ordering directly from Steelcase.
The doors were initially shut because of Covid. We then kept them shut because of undesirables walking in and trying to steal laptops. It is true that RGO is more corporate in focus than walk in sales but that doesn't mean you can't set up a time to go through a chair demo. Walk ins are welcome with an appointment. You should always get a better price through the dealer than buying direct from the manufacturer. That's how the dealer network is set up. No different for Herman Miller or Haworth.
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rotten42 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2024, 12:10 PM   #34
photon

Exp:

For convincing the boss, could try and frame it in terms of cheap insurance against the cost of work injury, increased job focus and increased job satisfaction.

https://www.btod.com/blog/convince-b...gonomic-chair/
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2024, 02:09 PM   #35
Titan2
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Yeah I've had Staples generic mesh chairs a few times in the past and they were really comfortable.

Chairs are one of the things where I feel like cheaping out will just result in pain, and random chairs from the Internet seems like a great way to get painful chairs that may not even be cheap.

I watched quite a few videos from these guys last time I was chair shopping, they had some of the cheaper options in some of the reviews:

Did not know Pinder did chair reviews. That guy gets around.
Old 02-23-2024, 02:14 PM   #36
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 02-23-2024, 05:10 PM   #37
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
The Aeron has been popular for so long, that I'm sure there's an office furniture liquidator in NS that should have some.

It's what I use, and still love it.
looks like they're on sale for just over 1100 new. I think I'll splurge and do it. I just wish I could sit in one first. The reviews are all around very very high tho
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 05:38 PM   #38
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 09:15 PM   #39
photon

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
looks like they're on sale for just over 1100 new. I think I'll splurge and do it. I just wish I could sit in one first. The reviews are all around very very high tho
I was going to say EQ3 sells them (I went there to try a few HM chairs out) but the nearest one to you is still probably a looong way away

They do have a return policy but I think shipping back would cost $$.

The seat pan is pretty curved and while I found them very comfortable I could understand where some might not like it and would want something more flat.

When I got the HM Embody it was on sale and when I found out I was too fat for it I was easily able to flip it for what I paid for it, I could have pretty easily made a profit after the sale ended.

If you truly hate the Aeron you could probably sell it for what you paid for it.
Old 02-23-2024, 09:54 PM   #40
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

I personally really don't like the Aeron and don't know why they are so popular. If you have any way to test drive it first I would. Too bad you aren't in Calgary, I have a Mirra (similar to Aeron) that I'd probably part with for the right price.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote