Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2016, 07:24 AM   #221
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
I'm really not sure what to think of D. Hamilton right now. I thought he was okay in the first, and then in the second stopped moving his feet outright, but then got his stick in the right places in the third.

What the hell man.
He was the most physical of the Flames defensemen last nigh laying multiple big hits on Hawks forwards. This is an element of his game I wish he would use more as he's a big guy but seems to have to be reminded to take liberties on opposing players with his size advantage. Some of his detractors like to compare him to Bouwmeester which is laughable as Hamilton laid more big hits last night than Jay has in his career.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 10-25-2016 at 07:27 AM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2016, 07:25 AM   #222
socalwingfan
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
all the more reason to stand up for the good ones...which are like 99% of them

I hope to see that hat a lot this season

Out of thanks, but thank you for the post of the night (even beat out Moe in the oven)
socalwingfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 07:28 AM   #223
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
Who would you sit for Tkachuk tomorrow?

I'd have a tough time sitting anybody because all the forwards played well tonight with the possible exception of Bouma, so maybe him.
Was pondering this as well. Would like to see Tkachuk but not sure who he would replace, Bouma was the only I guy I could maybe see taking out of the line up.
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 07:30 AM   #224
Travis Munroe
RealtorŪ

Exp:

Can't insert Tkachuk tonight. Sends the wrong message to the guys who played IMO.

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Travis Munroe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Travis Munroe For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2016, 07:31 AM   #225
Sutter_in_law
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I'm really not sure what to think of D. Hamilton right now. I thought he was okay in the first, and then in the second stopped moving his feet outright, but then got his stick in the right places in the third.

What the hell man.
I thought he was absolutely fantastic, apart from trying to lay a hip check on Hossa (I think) where he basically just stood 3' from the boards and hoped that the player would run into him, got burned but Jokkipakka made a great play to break up the pass on the ensuing odd-man rush.

Dougie using his size all night was a breath of fresh air, I hope he continues like that - it had to have felt good for him, I thought he was a dominant force all night.

Wideman also looked good to me, really composed, making the smart plays and being responsible all night.

great team effort all around.
Sutter_in_law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 07:31 AM   #226
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
He was the most physical of the Flames defensemen last nigh laying multiple big hits on Hawks forwards. This is an element of his game I wish he would use more as he's a big guy but seems to have to be reminded to take liberties on opposing players with his size advantage. Some of his detractors like to compare him to Bouwmeester which is laughable as Hamilton laid more big hits last night than Jay has in his career.
It was great to see him lay the body last night, but I honestly felt like I was watching 3 different players throughout the game. I hear people say he's all tools no toolbox but then watch him play a solid 20 where he's putting himself in the correct positions, laying stick and deflecting passes, clearing the crease, etc. not 10 minutes of playtime past getting beat outside 3 times because he stops skating for ?reasons?.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 07:54 AM   #227
-TC-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
I'd try these lines if you were to re-insert Tkachuk tomorrow

Gaudreau-Monahan-Chiasson
Versteeg-Bennett-Brouwer
Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik
Ferland-Stajan-Hamilton
good... but I'd change nothing at this point. consistency, let them figure it out. A roadie is the perfect time to do it, imho.

-TC- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 07:58 AM   #228
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Of course this would be the first game I missed this season. Glad to see the win of course.
Old 10-25-2016, 08:00 AM   #229
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Of course this would be the first game I missed this season. Glad to see the win of course.
You are now required to miss all the games.

Thank you for your contribution to the cause.
IamNotKenKing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to IamNotKenKing For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2016, 08:12 AM   #230
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtor 1 View Post
Can't insert Tkachuk tonight. Sends the wrong message to the guys who played IMO.
This plan could have been communicated days in advance. The coaching staff could have told Hamilton or whoever sits that the plan was to give Tkachuk a couple games upstairs and let him get back out there on his home town rink.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 08:34 AM   #231
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It was great to see him lay the body last night, but I honestly felt like I was watching 3 different players throughout the game. I hear people say he's all tools no toolbox but then watch him play a solid 20 where he's putting himself in the correct positions, laying stick and deflecting passes, clearing the crease, etc. not 10 minutes of playtime past getting beat outside 3 times because he stops skating for ?reasons?.
He is really young, and he is looking for consistency. Long time veterans and all-stars sometimes struggle with consistency. You are right that he has a bunch of tools, but sometimes it doesn't all come together. Last night, I think he had a really good game.

The best thing a player can do when certain tools aren't working (like your passing or shooting) during a particular game, you utilize another one of your tools, i.e.: hitting. Dougie compensated his game by laying the body and making other smart plays, and that's all you can ask of him. No one is going to play their best game 82 straight games.

Even when it seemed like the sky was falling on these boards, I was not worried about Dougie. I'm confident it will all come together.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 08:49 AM   #232
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
Gio and Dougie played great, which errors are you referring to? Brodie and Engelland were the ones who struggled. Both on the ice for both goals against and Brodie almost cost us the game with his weak chip on the boards with 7 seconds left.
Gio and Dougie were terrible against STL. that's what I was referring to.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cleveland Steam Whistle For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2016, 09:03 AM   #233
Vox
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
Gio and Dougie played great, which errors are you referring to? Brodie and Engelland were the ones who struggled. Both on the ice for both goals against and Brodie almost cost us the game with his weak chip on the boards with 7 seconds left.
I believe he was referring to the prior game against St. Louis, saying Gio and Hamilton took a step forward in that game but still made some mistakes, then took another step forward last night against Chicago and made fewer mistakes.

EDIT. Oops, beaten to it.
Vox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 09:16 AM   #234
thefoss1957
#1 Goaltender

Location: Chicago Native relocated to the stinking desert of Utah
Exp:

In the GT, before the game, I had posted that the interesting matchup was going to be the cold Flames' PP vs. the abysmal 'Hawk PK...how abysmal, you ask? Well, after getting torched by that Flame PP, the 'Hawks need to kill the next 44 times shorthanded IN A ROW, just to get back to an 80% PK.

A briskly paced game, both goaltenders could be accused of "stealing" points...Crawford kept the 'Hawks in the game early, Elliot bailed your guys late.

Odd and difficult travel schedule for your guys...rematch in Chicago on next Tuesday (sadly, I am working 2nd shifts, and cannot watch (and chat) live)...looking forward to round 2 of the season matchup, between two teams that move the puck, and take their chances.
Old 10-25-2016, 09:43 AM   #235
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Should be mentioned that Wideman had a good game.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 10:02 AM   #236
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

This game felt like the Washington tilt a couple years ago, IIRC that game really turned the season around for the boys.

Hiller made that massive save with less than 5 seconds left and the Flames win in OT.

Flashforward to 2016

Elliott makes a massive save with less than 5 seconds left and the Flames win in a SO.

Hopefully it'll give them some good mojo going forward.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 10:09 AM   #237
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNotKenKing View Post
You are now required to miss all the games.

Thank you for your contribution to the cause.
I've managed to miss both wins too. I'll be doing my part tonight as well.

grumble
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2016, 10:09 AM   #238
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
Who would you sit for Tkachuk tomorrow?

I'd have a tough time sitting anybody because all the forwards played well tonight with the possible exception of Bouma, so maybe him.
We have a winner. I'd sit Bouma in a heartbeat. He's totally irrelevant out there. Does he even have a shot on goal this year? He's not hitting, he's not scoring, he's not blocking shots, he's been useless. Makes nothing happen. Not sure why he's gotten a free ride so far. I'd be more than okay putting him in the press box for a while.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2016, 10:10 AM   #239
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Bouma not hitting? He took Forsling out early in the game. Hawks had to play with 5 d-men most of the night.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2016, 10:15 AM   #240
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

He was credited with 5 hits which really surprised me. Maybe I'm being too hard on him but every time I watch him it seems like he's doing nothing out there.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote