Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2017, 04:00 PM   #101
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Honestly, Iggy. I can't tell if you are asking that question because you are legitimately confused or if you are just trolling and trying to stir up crap by bringing Ken King into the topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaGuy View Post
The government is a plaintiff - they want the cost of Henderson's medical back.
I know, and that's horsecrap. Unless, of course, the AB government names itself a plaintiff in every single such lawsuit. I can't think of any legitimate reason why the government has any part of this.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 04:01 PM   #102
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaGuy View Post
I agree with you: that's what they will and should do. The Flames had nothing to do with what he did to Henderson.

But it would've been a nightmare to publicly denounce Wideman when he was still playing games for the team. (Or could've been)
fair enough... i just didn't think it ought to be characterized quite like that...

Last edited by oldschoolcalgary; 04-20-2017 at 04:03 PM.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 04:01 PM   #103
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
NHL linesmen make between $110,000 and $235,000.

So unless he was planning to work for between 44 and 100 more years the figure of 10,500,000. is just stupid.

The Flames opening salvo should be an offer of a million bucks and Wideman effect be dammed.
http://www.calgarysun.com/2016/02/18...ssion-symptoms

There is a good chance he wasn't coming back after last season anyway:

Quote:
Several sources told the Sun that Henderson had been feeling pressure from the NHL Officials Association long before the hit to retire as the association has been trying to get some of its older members to exit the game like 53-year-olds Mike Cvik and Rob Martell did earlier this year. Henderson’s concussion could potentially expedite that process, meaning there’s a chance he’s officiated his last game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
The Flames/Wideman will see any preexisting conditions from Henderson's medical records when they're subpoenaed. Complications like this is probably why they'll settle.
According to the article above, he does have history of back problems and even had surgery. Looking at all the clips of him getting belted, I wonder if he even had the physical ability to be a proper linesman in such a fast league.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 04-20-2017 at 04:05 PM.
FlamesAddiction is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 04:02 PM   #104
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
yeah, no offense, but things like that don't happen in hockey. Linesman and referees aren't part of the game...

While one can argue about the amount of money being sued for and whether the organization ought to be a defendant, at the end of the day, Wideman's actions outside of the rules of the game caused it to happen.

so i get suing Wideman... i don't get 10 million (stemming from the medical issues cited) nor naming the flames organization as a defendant...
I dunno. I still maintain that it appeared he was out of it, or mildly concussed when he was skating off. It was wrong, outside the rules, and compensation should be given. Maybe the medical staff shouldn't have let him stay on the bench. But 10 mil and suing the Flames specifically feels like he held a grudge on the team as a whole for appealing the suspension at the time.

I do think Henderson should get something out of it, but I feel like he's trying to take advantage of a situation that puts the Flames against a wall because if they fight it, their PR/image will take a huge hit with the officiating community. That seems slimy in itself to try to pry such a hefty sum for injuries that didn't hamper him from finishing the game. He doesn't need that much compensation and I think he needs to get over the fact that the team defended their own player. They're not the only team that would do so in that situation.

Last edited by djsFlames; 04-20-2017 at 04:04 PM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 04:02 PM   #105
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
or why even play the games at all?

just run a simulation right?

Linesman and refs have been part of the game since their inception.

Crosschecking or otherwise assaulting officials gets you suspended or banned in every single professional sports league in the world...

Here's a better idea: Maybe Wideman shouldn't have assaulted a guy for absolutely no reason at all
So what? Employers can argue welder's have been getting lung disease since the beginning of the trade, doesn't mean they're not responsible for controlling the hazards in the workplace.

Henderson is a worker who is making a living in the conditions the NHL have dictated.
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 04:02 PM   #106
mikeecho
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
The Flames/Wideman will see any preexisting conditions from Henderson's medical records when they're subpoenaed. Complications like this is probably why they'll settle.
I'm also 99% certain that a private investigator of some sort has been keeping tabs on Henderson in his back yard dating back to last summer likely in preparation of a future lawsuit.
mikeecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 04:03 PM   #107
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Based on the required concussion protocol, is the suit stronger, weaker or unchanged by whether Wideman suffered brain trauma that resulted in the hit on Henderson?
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 04:04 PM   #108
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Honestly, Iggy. I can't tell if you are asking that question because you are legitimately confused or if you are just trolling and trying to stir up crap by bringing Ken King into the topic.

I know, and that's horsecrap. Unless, of course, the AB government names itself a plaintiff in every single such lawsuit. I can't think of any legitimate reason why the government has any part of this.
Omg, this happens all the time, lol. You just don't read about it because almost all workers get WCB. It's not horsecrap. It's to be expected
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkGio For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 04:06 PM   #109
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
its pretty amazing that he was able to get up and drop the puck 30 seconds later and finish the game with all those injuries

what a trooper
Sort of like how Wideman was able to finish the game despite being so concussed he couldn't even remember the hit when asked by his "doctors"?

The only difference is that Henderson actually had surgery to repair the ruptured disks and is by all accounts still reeling from the incident. While Wideman was so deliberated by his concussion he was out golfing and hiking the day after.

The guy was attacked, had to have surgery to repair multiple ruptured disks in his neck and is by all accounts still reeling from the hit. As a result his career was ended and his quality of life is lowered. The person who did it is a millionaire, employed by a bunch of billionaires. I don't see the need to insult him even if he's aiming high on the compensation (as is the norm).

Just like everyone is hoping Dao get's a nice payday from United Airlines, I'm sure you'll find a lot of people cheering for Henderson here. I sure am.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 04:07 PM   #110
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
Based on the required concussion protocol, is the suit stronger, weaker or unchanged by whether Wideman suffered brain trauma that resulted in the hit on Henderson?
I think that the lawsuit, if it ever gets to trial, will basically be a public rehash of the hearings Bettman and Oldham held where everyone tries to guess Wideman's state of mind. But I have absolutely no idea what that does to the legitimacy of the suit. It would be far easier to make a guess if Wideman was concussed, went to the bench, the Flames left him in the game and then the hit happened. But in this case, there was literally no time or ability for any concussion protocol to be enacted, no matter what it would have been.
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 04:08 PM   #111
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Omg, this happens all the time, lol. You just don't read about it because almost all workers get WCB. It's not horsecrap. It's to be expected
Thank you, that is what I was wondering. If it is standard practice, then yes, that changes my view.
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 04:08 PM   #112
smiggy77
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
It actually seems pretty abnormal in the game, when has that ever happened? It's not like he took a puck to the face here.
Normal for a player I mean, definitely not a ref.
Old 04-20-2017, 04:09 PM   #113
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Good luck getting $10m. Jesus Christ. I think this confirms the Wideman effect. Can the Flames sue the reffing union for damages too?
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 04:10 PM   #114
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
I dunno. I still maintain that it appeared he was out of it, or mildly concussed when he was skating off. It was wrong, outside the rules, and compensation should be given. Maybe the medical staff shouldn't have let him stay on the bench. But 10 mil and suing the Flames specifically feels like he held a grudge on the team as a whole for appealing the suspension at the time.

I do think Henderson should get something out of it, but I feel like he's trying to take advantage of a situation that puts the Flames against a wall because if they fight it, their PR/image will take a huge hit with the officiating community. That seems slimy in itself to try to pry such a hefty sum for injuries that didn't hamper him from finishing the game. He doesn't need that much compensation and I think he needs to get over the fact that the team defended their own player. They're not the only team that would do so in that situation.
oh, i agree... he's definitely pushing the limits... but as someone previously mentioned, there limits to punitive damages, which seems to be blown out of the water here...

i don't recall whether Wideman even missed any time however following the incident...

As for 'being out of it', that something the medical professionals will have to testify on, as i am not an expert...

As an opponent, you accept that as part of the risk... as an official, would you ever think you'd get cross checked in the back? Do they even have the equipment to protect themselves from that?
Old 04-20-2017, 04:13 PM   #115
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Sort of like how Wideman was able to finish the game despite being so concussed he couldn't even remember the hit when asked by his "doctors"?

The only difference is that Henderson actually had surgery to repair the ruptured disks and is by all accounts still reeling from the incident. While Wideman was so deliberated by his concussion he was out golfing and hiking the day after.

The guy was attacked, had to have surgery to repair multiple ruptured disks in his neck and is by all accounts still reeling from the hit. As a result his career was ended and his quality of life is lowered. The person who did it is a millionaire, employed by a bunch of billionaires. I don't see the need to insult him even if he's aiming high on the compensation (as is the norm).

Just like everyone is hoping Dao get's a nice payday from United Airlines, I'm sure you'll find a lot of people cheering for Henderson here. I sure am.
His career was already over "by all accounts"

if that is the kinda evidence we are going for

asking for 10M has me questioning his motives...replace these guys with a camera and a chip in the puck
Old 04-20-2017, 04:14 PM   #116
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Wideman missed 19 games...

But the hit also came right before the All-Star Break, so even if he was put on IR, it would have only been a game or two, absent suspension.
Old 04-20-2017, 04:15 PM   #117
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So what? Employers can argue welder's have been getting lung disease since the beginning of the trade, doesn't mean they're not responsible for controlling the hazards in the workplace.

Henderson is a worker who is making a living in the conditions the NHL have dictated.

my point: Maybe Wideman shouldn't have assaulted a guy for absolutely no reason at all

your point: NHL should get rid of linesmen

ummmm ok
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to oldschoolcalgary For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 04:15 PM   #118
Zoller
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcrunk View Post
Good luck getting $10m. Jesus Christ. I think this confirms the Wideman effect. Can the Flames sue the reffing union for damages too?
I think this has to be one of the best ideas I've ever heard. Whoever is in charge should get on this asap.
Zoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 04:15 PM   #119
Burner_29
Draft Pick

Between NHL/NFL concussions, other general sports injuries and now this I wonder how many years "contact" sports have left?

This is just pathetic... so many things wrong with this picture and I'll blame it squarely on lawyers. $10M, loss of future earnings, laundry list of injuries... it all wreaks of blood sucking lawyers.

LAWYERS = NG
Burner_29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 04:21 PM   #120
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
oh, i agree... he's definitely pushing the limits... but as someone previously mentioned, there limits to punitive damages, which seems to be blown out of the water here...

i don't recall whether Wideman even missed any time however following the incident...

As for 'being out of it', that something the medical professionals will have to testify on, as i am not an expert...

As an opponent, you accept that as part of the risk... as an official, would you ever think you'd get cross checked in the back? Do they even have the equipment to protect themselves from that?
Officials have been laid out, hit by pucks, tripped, fallen over, and even punched throughout the course of the game, many times over. They're even given helmets to "protect them" from the hazard of the job. I think there's enough evidence that there's a knowing risk you can get bulldozed by a player.

I mean it's kind of intuitive. There's 8 players skating around in an enclosed area on a slippery surface trying to hit each other and shoot a flying projectile around and you're stuck in the middle. Like no #### you're eventually going to get hit. They even have rules to keep people off the ice for their own safety.
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkGio For This Useful Post: