Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2017, 03:47 PM   #841
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
Ya I get that... but I think what the original persons point was that... Croatia has a lot of fantastic players who are key role players on the best clubs around the world, but disappoint at the national level. Croatia is under performing as a nation. Croatia would be dismantled by Real Madrid , of course.
I think you concluded your own confusion on that one. Role players.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 07:40 PM   #842
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Modric isn't a role player, he's a key starter and probably the 3rd best player on RM. He isn't a role player like the term is used in hockey. I can see how my post may have been confusing, but I didn't mean it in the traditional hockey sense

Last edited by White Out 403; 06-08-2017 at 07:44 PM.
White Out 403 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 10:29 PM   #843
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Modric and Rakitic are world class, and Mandzukic, Perisic, and Pjaca are good pieces but it's not like they are stacked at every position.

Personally I wouldn't call winning a tough group in Euro 2016 and then losing to eventual champion Portugal in extra time underperforming.

They are undefeated in the current World Cup qualifying campaign, lead their group, and have qualified for the last 3 major tournaments so it's not like they are failing to qualify and losing to lesser teams.

It's just really tough to win a major international tournament.

Since 1994 only 7 teams have won a World Cup or Euro Cup: Germany, Brazil, France, Italy, Spain, Greece, and Portugal. Only three other countries have been in a finals (Czech Republic, Netherlands, Argentina).

So in 12 different tournaments you've only had 10 different finalists fill the 24 available spots.

The only one of those teams that I would say Croatia is clearly better than is the Cinderella Greece team that lucked their way to Euro 2004.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 06-08-2017 at 10:40 PM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2017, 07:45 AM   #844
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

I get all that.I just really want to see Croatia win a tourney for my Dad. Id take a Croatian world cup or euro over a Stanley Cup for the Jets no contest.
Old 06-09-2017, 08:34 AM   #845
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Modric isn't a role player, he's a key starter and probably the 3rd best player on RM. He isn't a role player like the term is used in hockey. I can see how my post may have been confusing, but I didn't mean it in the traditional hockey sense
I'd actually say Modric is the second best player on RM, but arguably the most important.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2017, 08:39 AM   #846
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Modric and Rakitic are world class, and Mandzukic, Perisic, and Pjaca are good pieces but it's not like they are stacked at every position.

Personally I wouldn't call winning a tough group in Euro 2016 and then losing to eventual champion Portugal in extra time underperforming.

They are undefeated in the current World Cup qualifying campaign, lead their group, and have qualified for the last 3 major tournaments so it's not like they are failing to qualify and losing to lesser teams.

It's just really tough to win a major international tournament.

Since 1994 only 7 teams have won a World Cup or Euro Cup: Germany, Brazil, France, Italy, Spain, Greece, and Portugal. Only three other countries have been in a finals (Czech Republic, Netherlands, Argentina).

So in 12 different tournaments you've only had 10 different finalists fill the 24 available spots.

The only one of those teams that I would say Croatia is clearly better than is the Cinderella Greece team that lucked their way to Euro 2004.
+ Kovacic too. I'd love him at United.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 09:05 AM   #847
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

2012 was bad luck drawing both Spain and Italy in the group.

2014 was a disaster though. Croatia should beat Mexico 10 times out of 10.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 02:56 PM   #848
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ugh Hugo
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 03:04 PM   #849
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sorry, you missed my point but I may have obfuscated it a little bit as well and thats my fault.

What I more or less meant to say was that when you've got a team like RM and a Croatian is a key cog in the Engine Room thats fantastic, but they dont have 10-20 players just like him.

Modric is the key to a well-oiled machine. But hes not someone that you can really build around.

He'll win the ball, and move the ball and even score occasionally, but hes part of a machine and unfortunately the other parts of that machine (Croatian NT) arent nearly as good as he is.

Lets put it this way: Ronaldo is amazing. Portugal is largely garbage. But if they can just keep the ball out of their own net he'll usually haul them along.

Thats not Modric. His supporting cast at RM is amazing, not so much with Croatia.

Thats pretty much the difference.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 06-09-2017, 03:06 PM   #850
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
Ugh Hugo
It's just to make sure he stays at Spurs next year!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 04:00 PM   #851
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Someone other than Hart needs a chance as number 1

Those were savable free kicks
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to d_phaneuf For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2017, 04:02 PM   #852
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Forster is better anyway, I can't believe he still hasn't been made number 1.

Forster for a couple of years, then Pickford when he's ready.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 11:15 PM   #853
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Scotland gonna be Scotland. In disguise or otherwise.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 07:20 AM   #854
Imported_Aussie
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
Forster is better anyway, I can't believe he still hasn't been made number 1.

Forster for a couple of years, then Pickford when he's ready.
I hope for their sakes they don't rush Pickford, anointing him the "next one" too soon. The English media has a great track record of building guys up to publicly tear them down.
Imported_Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 03:01 PM   #855
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Typical Croatian choke job. They can go back to their club teams now and earn their millions.
Old 06-15-2017, 01:33 PM   #856
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

AC Milan have announced that Gianluigi Donnarumma will definitely not sign a new contract (current one runs another year).

Raiola strikes again.
Old 06-15-2017, 01:34 PM   #857
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
AC Milan have announced that Gianluigi Donnarumma will definitely not sign a new contract (current one runs another year).

Raiola strikes again.
That man should just be the head of FIFA, if you're any good he owns you.

Old 06-16-2017, 08:06 AM   #858
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

So Cristiano Ronaldo has been accused of tax evasion, and this has apparently "outraged" him so much that he's told Real that he wants to leave.

Quote:
Real Madrid forward Cristiano Ronaldo is "sad" and "upset" after being accused of tax fraud and wants to leave the club, a source close to the player has told the BBC. Spanish prosecutors have accused Ronaldo, 32, of defrauding the authorities of millions of euros in tax. "He feels he's honest, has good character and did everything OK, so he doesn't understand," added the source. "He's very sad and really upset."

Real Madrid later released a statement saying they had "full confidence" in their player, and that they were convinced he would prove his innocence. The source added: "He doesn't want to stay in Spain. At this moment he wants to leave."
http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/40302296

This is hilarious. "I think it's time to leave Spain. This has nothing to do with my tax evasion case. By the way I'm totally innocent."
Old 06-16-2017, 08:38 AM   #859
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So Cristiano Ronaldo has been accused of tax evasion, and this has apparently "outraged" him so much that he's told Real that he wants to leave.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/40302296

This is hilarious. "I think it's time to leave Spain. This has nothing to do with my tax evasion case. By the way I'm totally innocent."
Its funny because its intensely childish.

"If I leave Spain they cant touch me! It'll be like I was never here!"

They're going to charge him with tax fraud and, if its just like what Messi did then hes probably guilty. It'll cost him some money. I understand that money is something that he has.

Old 06-16-2017, 08:43 AM   #860
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Its funny because its intensely childish.

"If I leave Spain they cant touch me! It'll be like I was never here!"

They're going to charge him with tax fraud and, if its just like what Messi did then hes probably guilty. It'll cost him some money. I understand that money is something that he has.
at the end of the day, this will be nothing more than an attempt to get a better contract from Real to cover at least part of the tax bill that he'll have to face. He'll get a slap on the wrist from the authorities and then that's that. But the dramatic reaction is just so Ronaldo.