Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2010, 01:50 PM   #81
Agamemnon
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames0910 View Post
also, one of the reasons why i think alcohol is more accepted is because its social. people say weed is social too, but if you're lighting up and playing videogames or staring at the tv for hours it isn't social anymore. in general people go to bars to spend time with friends and share their stories from the week.
While that might be true, I think the real reason one is accepted over the other is the legality of each. People who choose not to think for themselves and obey the LAW without question are usually quite critical of weed.
Agamemnon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 01:51 PM   #82
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
It think this comes down to the potheads we know. These are the potheads we know we know, these are the pothead we know.

Some of us know non-lame ones.
This is true. I get mad at my one buddy's girlfriend because she gets on his case about drinking a bottle of whiskey to himself, meanwhile she gets bitchy if she's not high for more than 5 minutes.

I have another friend who will be celebrating 420 today and gets after me for drinking, and tells me I should smoke pot instead because it's "better for me."
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 01:52 PM   #83
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
I think the difference between the two, is that a lot of people celebrate things like Oktoberfest by drinking. They're not celebrating the fact that they're drinkers.

Us drinkers have it rough. We get told to go to meetings if we want to celebrate the fact that we drink.
BS. The hundreds of people I saw absolutely annihalated at noon on St. Patrick's day weren't celebrating a thing beyond how wasted they could get.
valo403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 01:53 PM   #84
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by valo403 View Post
BS. The hundreds of people I saw absolutely annihalated at noon on St. Patrick's day weren't celebrating a thing beyond how wasted they could get.
Jesus, and I thought going to the pub at 4 was pushing it.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 01:54 PM   #85
Agamemnon
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I think the difference between the two, is that a lot of people celebrate things like Oktoberfest by drinking. They're not celebrating the fact that they're drinkers.
I suppose I beg to differ, Oktoberfest & St. Patty's Day especially. Those are celebrations of booze, not celebrated with booze, imo.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:01 PM   #86
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by valo403 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
I suppose I beg to differ, Oktoberfest & St. Patty's Day especially. Those are celebrations of booze, not celebrated with booze, imo.
Yeah, I suppose it depends on the person. I'm not trying to lash out at the people in this thread, more people I know personally that celebrate just so they can have the stigma of being a stoner associated with them.

I don't know, I kind of have the feeling that if I were into blow and celebrated an International Yayo day by letting everyone know I was doing an 8-ball off a hooker's tits, that people would look down on it.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:02 PM   #87
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
While that might be true, I think the real reason one is accepted over the other is the legality of each. People who choose not to think for themselves and obey the LAW without question are usually quite critical of weed.
i think it is some of both. i don't think you can nail it down to one reason why pot is not as accepted as drinking. it's not that black and white.

i know many people who could care less about the legality of it, but still think pot is stupid or, more likely, have grown out of it.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 02:06 PM   #88
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
i think it is some of both. i don't think you can nail it down to one reason why pot is not as accepted as drinking. it's not that black and white.

i know many people who could care less about the legality of it, but still think pot is stupid or, more likely, have grown out of it.
Yeah, that's basically where I'm at. I used to be a huge pothead. Used to make my own oil and everything, too. Now it doesn't do anything for me so I don't touch it.

I think it's fine that other people do it, I just don't really see why they need to advertise it. I get annoyed with people who make a big deal about drinking, too.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:06 PM   #89
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 02:11 PM   #90
HOOT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's cool. I just woke up this morning and saw a bunch of "OMG!!! HAPPY 420!!!!" things on Facebook. I find that obnoxious. I don't care about the people who want to hang out and smoke pot with their friends.
Oh my man. Seriously I think of anyone you need to hit a joint right now and relax. Delete these people from facebook if they are so annoying. I wonder if people say the same when you say "OMG!!! St Patty's DAY!!!!" and think you are a loser for wanting to get drunk for no reason.

On average I drink once every two months and you don't see me slamming these people at the bar for having to be drunk to have fun, whether it is St Pattys Day, New Years or just a Saturday night. To each their own and if your only purpose is to bitch about people posting on facebook and other internetz sites you should step back from the computer for the day.

Quote:
It's the broadcasting that annoys me.
It's the bitching and whining that annoys me. If you don't like it stay away from this thread, facebook or any circles of people you see around town today. It's like you take it personally that people enjoy smoking weed and have a day to celebrate doing so, but doing the same for getting drunk is A-OK!
HOOT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HOOT For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2010, 02:24 PM   #91
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOT View Post
Oh my man. Seriously I think of anyone you need to hit a joint right now and relax. Delete these people from facebook if they are so annoying. I wonder if people say the same when you say "OMG!!! St Patty's DAY!!!!" and think you are a loser for wanting to get drunk for no reason.
I'm sure it would be annoying if I did that.

Quote:
On average I drink once every two months and you don't see me slamming these people at the bar for having to be drunk to have fun, whether it is St Pattys Day, New Years or just a Saturday night.
I don't give a rat's ass about people smoking pot. If it makes them happy, then go for it.

Quote:
To each their own and if your only purpose is to bitch about people posting on facebook and other internetz sites you should step back from the computer for the day.
Really? Because people don't use this site to bitch about other trivial things?

Quote:
It's the bitching and whining that annoys me. If you don't like it stay away from this thread, facebook or any circles of people you see around town today. It's like you take it personally that people enjoy smoking weed and have a day to celebrate doing so, but doing the same for getting drunk is A-OK!
Come on, I don't take it that seriously. The only reason I bring it up is because I don't understand why you need an excuse to smoke pot when you were likely going to do it anyways. I've never understood that about drinking either. If you like to drink, then drink. You don't need a special occasion to do it.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:29 PM   #92
Leon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Most people who have a personal vendetta against marijuana don't really have a good reason for it.

When I say 'good', I mean logical and meaningful.

The commercial advertising linked to '420 day' is no different then any other event, including St. Patty's day.

''The Phaneuf - Regehr pairing reminds me a lot of when I'm having sex with a new partner'' -malcomk14
''Not only is he a good player, but I enjoy his company'' -Pierre Mcguire on Phaneuf

"I'm only watching now for the chance to see brief close-ups of White's moustache." - rockstar
</br>

Last edited by Leon; 04-20-2010 at 02:35 PM.
Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 02:34 PM   #93
Leon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I don't understand why you need an excuse to smoke pot
Well there's still legislation against it's use and possession. So yes, you really do need an excuse to smoke it.

Also, a day like today doesn't exclusively serve the purpose of providing an excuse to smoke it - it's likely an awareness thing and the perpetual efforts of the cannabis community to promote a relatively harmless substance.

Only through twisted logic and bureaucratic means has it become illegal. It's fine though, things are changing slowly and I'd give it another generation before most people are enlightened.

''The Phaneuf - Regehr pairing reminds me a lot of when I'm having sex with a new partner'' -malcomk14
''Not only is he a good player, but I enjoy his company'' -Pierre Mcguire on Phaneuf

"I'm only watching now for the chance to see brief close-ups of White's moustache." - rockstar
</br>
Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Leon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2010, 02:37 PM   #94
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah_Baby View Post
Jesus, and I thought going to the pub at 4 was pushing it.
Well this was New Jersey
Old 04-20-2010, 02:39 PM   #95
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by noel View Post
Well there's still legislation against it's use and possession. So yes, you really do need an excuse to smoke it.

Also, a day like today doesn't exclusively serve the purpose of providing an excuse to smoke it - it's likely an awareness thing and the perpetual efforts of the cannabis community to promote a relatively harmless substance.

Only through twisted logic and bureaucratic means has it become illegal. It's fine though, things are changing slowly and I'd give it another generation before most people are enlightened.
LOL. You're really going to make me believe that people are getting blitzed today because they're trying to promote legalization? I agree it should be legalized, but that would be like me trying to legalize prostitution by sodomizing six hookers in front of city hall.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:46 PM   #96
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
LOL. You're really going to make me believe that people are getting blitzed today because they're trying to promote legalization? I agree it should be legalized, but that would be like me trying to legalize prostitution by sodomizing six hookers in front of city hall.
You'd get my vote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to valo403 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2010, 02:52 PM   #97
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm going to celebrate 420 by drinking myself into a coma.
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2010, 02:55 PM   #98
Agamemnon
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I don't know, I kind of have the feeling that if I were into blow and celebrated an International Yayo day by letting everyone know I was doing an 8-ball off a hooker's tits, that people would look down on it.
If smoking marijuana was morally/socially similar to snorting cocaine and obtaining prositutes, you'd be right to point out the hypocracy.

But I don't think the person who smokes weed is in the same place socially as the person picking up hookers... maybe that's just me though. And the health/addiction consequences of cocaine make it uncomparable to weed, imo. Weed does not = Cocaine/Hookers.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:56 PM   #99
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Fathers Day in Germany - men go to the pub to get wasted with their buddies.

The dudes that I went to High School and University with that smoked a lot of pot, are not exactly tremendous achievers today.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 02:57 PM   #100
Agamemnon
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

I definitely think the legal aspect is a huge factor. Most older people I know (like my Mom) don't know what's wrong with marijuana, but they DO know it's illegal, and BECAUSE it's illegal, it's evil and wrong. Case closed.

If it were legal to smoke I think the 'acceptability' would sky-rocket.