Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-27-2017, 06:33 AM   #261
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I couldn't find the games here. They were running them, delayed, on Bein and this weekend I didn't see them. Maybe I just missed them though.

Seems like the counter to them not coming into the rucks would be just to pick up the ball and keep running though?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 09:16 AM   #262
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Party Elephant View Post
Did you guys see this in the Six Nations?

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/i....post.89831868

Italy decided they weren't going to form rucks when defending in order to move into positions that would otherwise be offside, and it confused the hell out of England. Interesting and technically legal tactic, though they still lost the game 36-15.
Fair play to them. The Chiefs have been doing this for a couple of years, IRRC.

It is a very useful tactic to defend against line out and drive.

What is worse it Eddie Jones sounds like a petulant child. Come on Eddie, give credit where it is due. It was an intelligent use of the laws. I am disappointed, and would have thought he might acknowledge the insight and organization that is required to play the laws so closely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I couldn't find the games here. They were running them, delayed, on Bein and this weekend I didn't see them. Maybe I just missed them though.

Seems like the counter to them not coming into the rucks would be just to pick up the ball and keep running though?
Pick and go is a great deterrent, as was the truck and trailer (which can no longer be used).

Alternatively, you off load prior to contact.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2017, 04:50 PM   #263
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Fair play to them. The Chiefs have been doing this for a couple of years, IRRC.

It is a very useful tactic to defend against line out and drive.

What is worse it Eddie Jones sounds like a petulant child. Come on Eddie, give credit where it is due. It was an intelligent use of the laws. I am disappointed, and would have thought he might acknowledge the insight and organization that is required to play the laws so closely.

Pick and go is a great deterrent, as was the truck and trailer (which can no longer be used).

Alternatively, you off load prior to contact.
Great response. I was going to post something similar.

It is a excellent tactic if done properly and yes the Chiefs have used it before, mainly after kicks to pressure teams deep in their own half. You can stop it by pick and go as well as trying to form a ruck yourself by grabbing onto opposing players who are near the ball.

Yeah, Eddie Jones comes across as a total cry baby who is trying to make excuses for why his team didn't have a flexible game plan. I hope only beating Italy by 21 points ends up costing England the 6 Nations on point differential.
Old 03-03-2017, 11:08 PM   #264
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Hurricanes have scored 154 points in their first two Super Rugby matches! Yes they played the pathetic Sunwolves and Rebels but still pretty impressive.
Old 03-06-2017, 04:19 AM   #265
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rugby Sevens Update:

The series moved to North America with the Las Vegas Sevens this week. South Africa continued their dominance this year beating Fiji in the final, while the hosts took the bronze. Canada had a decent tournament finishing in the top half of their pool after wins versus Wales and France but ended up 7th after playoff losses to Fiji and England. Canada was aided by the return of Nathan Hirayama from injury.

In the Women's tournament New Zealand took gold, Australia silver, and Canada bronze.

Next week is the Canada Sevens at BC Place. Any CPers going?
Old 03-06-2017, 08:17 AM   #266
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ Pretty sure that UCB wouldn't miss it for the world!

I have lots of friends who went last year and I wouldn't mind checking it out. I think it would be fun, but its just not a huge priority for me.
Old 03-06-2017, 09:48 AM   #267
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
Rugby Sevens Update:

The series moved to North America with the Las Vegas Sevens this week. South Africa continued their dominance this year beating Fiji in the final, while the hosts took the bronze. Canada had a decent tournament finishing in the top half of their pool after wins versus Wales and France but ended up 7th after playoff losses to Fiji and England. Canada was aided by the return of Nathan Hirayama from injury.

In the Women's tournament New Zealand took gold, Australia silver, and Canada bronze.

Next week is the Canada Sevens at BC Place. Any CPers going?
Quote:
^ Pretty sure that UCB wouldn't miss it for the world!

I have lots of friends who went last year and I wouldn't mind checking it out. I think it would be fun, but its just not a huge priority for me.
Yuck, 7's is just a track meet with a rugby ball, no thank you. The game really has become about finding the fastest guy sticking him on the end and throwing a couple of misses with dummy runners to freeze the D then letting buddy run around the cover.

I honestly wonder is a fella like Waisale Tikoisolomoni Serevi would have had the same career if he came onto the scene now.

Quote:

Last edited by undercoverbrother; 03-06-2017 at 01:27 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2017, 03:47 PM   #268
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yuck, 7's is just a track meet with a rugby ball, no thank you. The game really has become about finding the fastest guy sticking him on the end and throwing a couple of misses with dummy runners to freeze the D then letting buddy run around the cover.

I honestly wonder is a fella like Waisale Tikoisolomoni Serevi would have had the same career if he came onto the scene now.
Triggered!

There must be something about Sevens though. BC Place is almost sold out over two days while the Canada 15s team didn't even manage a total of 7000 in attendance for their 3 Americans Rugby Championship games home games in Langford and Burnaby.

Speaking of the ARC, did Canada seriously finish 5th after losses to Uruguay and Brazil? Seriously? Seriously? That is pathetic.
Old 03-06-2017, 04:05 PM   #269
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

The program is just in shambles at the moment. I don't know enough about the politics/inner workings, but it's pretty pathetic that we have gone from a solid second tier team to a laughing stock, essentially.
Old 03-06-2017, 04:09 PM   #270
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Triggered!

There must be something about Sevens though. BC Place is almost sold out over two days while the Canada 15s team didn't even manage a total of 7000 in attendance for their 3 Americans Rugby Championship games home games in Langford and Burnaby.

Speaking of the ARC, did Canada seriously finish 5th after losses to Uruguay and Brazil? Seriously? Seriously? That is pathetic.
Quote:
The program is just in shambles at the moment. I don't know enough about the politics/inner workings, but it's pretty pathetic that we have gone from a solid second tier team to a laughing stock, essentially.
I note you haven't disagreed with my assessment of 7's.

I don't know what to say about RC. It is really tough for me, as I have a couple of friends in the senior 15's coaching set up and a couple of friends that work for RC in development positions.

That being said, I can't disagree. We are a mess when it comes to 15's and 7's on the men's side. The women's program is impressive to be honest. It consistently does well internationally in both 15's and 7's. It really is a head amazing that RC can produce a successful women's program and #### the bead on the men's side. Some of the selection decision for ARC were nusts, Barkwell. Really?

It really is sad days.

Quote:
Old 03-06-2017, 05:23 PM   #271
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I note you haven't disagreed with my assessment of 7's.
Well I know better than to try and convince you into liking Sevens.

My thoughts are a good Sevens team has 5 players who are great tacklers and can turn over the ball with 2 sprinters who can get around the outside to score. No it is not real rugby but looking at Sevens on it's own, it is a fast, rough, exciting sport and I can see why it attracts large crowds worldwide.

Quote:
I don't know what to say about RC. It is really tough for me, as I have a couple of friends in the senior 15's coaching set up and a couple of friends that work for RC in development positions.

That being said, I can't disagree. We are a mess when it comes to 15's and 7's on the men's side. The women's program is impressive to be honest. It consistently does well internationally in both 15's and 7's. It really is a head amazing that RC can produce a successful women's program and #### the bead on the men's side. Some of the selection decision for ARC were nusts, Barkwell. Really?

It really is sad days.
I wouldn't call the Canadian Men's Sevens team a mess. They are 12th in the world with a chance to get into the top 10 now that Hirayama is back. Also, although they are not close to South Africa and Fiji they are definitely competitive against the 2nd tier of teams such as New Zealand and England.

The 15s team has me worried however. At this rate they won't even qualify for the 2019 World Cup.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:03 AM   #272
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Old 03-13-2017, 04:10 AM   #273
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

World Rugby Sevens Series Update Brought to you by HSBC and UCB.

This week: The Canada Sevens from BC Place!

This was the biggest ever crowd for rugby in Canadian history with 76k+ fans in attendance over the 2 days.

1st place: England
2nd place: South Africa
3rd place: Fiji

How did Canada do?

Win vs Scotland 28-15
Win vs Russia 26-5
Loss vs NZ 15-14
Loss vs South Africa 36-7
Loss vs Argentina 12-5

Overall: 7th place.

Canada has passed France and Kenya and is now 10th overall in the 2017 series standings.

There was no Women's tournament this weekend. The Canada Women's Sevens takes place in Langford on May 27th and 28th.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:05 AM   #274
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Spoiler!
there was so much good Super Rugby to talk about.......damn you.

Quote:
Old 03-13-2017, 10:28 AM   #275
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

This week: The Canada Sevens from BC Place!

This was the biggest ever crowd for rugby in Canadian history with 76k+ fans in attendance over the 2 days.

1st place: England
2nd place: South Africa
3rd place: Fiji

How did Canada do?

Win vs Scotland 28-15
Win vs Russia 26-5
Loss vs NZ 15-14
Loss vs South Africa 36-7
Loss vs Argentina 12-5

Overall: 7th place.

Canada has passed France and Kenya and is now 10th overall in the 2017 series standings.

There was no Women's tournament this weekend. The Canada Women's Sevens takes place in Langford on May 27th and 28th.
Canada was doing alright against Argentina and was up 5-0, but obviously that wasn't to be. They actually looked reasonable against the Blitzboks, but things fell apart and they blew it open. I think they were "only" down 12-7 before things got out of hand.
Old 03-13-2017, 07:02 PM   #276
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
there was so much good Super Rugby to talk about.......damn you.
Well then why haven't you made a post about Super Rugby...

Yes there were some great games over the weekend and I caught a few of them:

Chiefs defeat the Canes 26-18. The Hurricanes finally came back down to earth after their record setting first two games playing a team that could actually defence. They had to settle for their first penalty goal of the year after 24 straight tries to start the season. This was a sloppy affair with the Chiefs just managing to get more offense going. The Canes almost made a great comeback and had possession late but a turnover and penalty ended up costing them a bonus point.

Brumbies defeat the Force 25-17. This was a sloppy yet exciting game that was back and forth and it seemed like neither team wanted to hold the lead for long. The Force were leading late before a stupid sin binning allowed the Brumbies to get two tries.

Highlanders defeat the Blues: 16-12. Despite the low score this was an excellent well played game in the pouring rain in Auckland. The Blues should have won this at the end as they were up a man and driving for the winning try but they blew their chances with a knock on 1m from the goal line.

Crusaders defeat the Reds 22-20. The good guys in red broke my heart with a loss to rugby's evil empire in another exciting match. The Reds got off to a flying start building a 17-0 lead and were up 20-7 at half time before a lackluster 2nd half and some absolutely horrible ball management at the end gave the Saders a game winning penalty. It was the Crusaders 2nd big comeback win in a row.

In the other South African games, the Stormers, Lions, Sharks and Jaguares were all winners.

Also, there is a very secretive SANZAAR meeting going on at the moment to determine the future format of Super Rugby. The current format has been a failure due to a confusing set up, ridiculous travel and some horrible teams leading to blow outs and lower TV ratings. Rumours are there are two proposals on the table:

1. Reduce the competition to 15 teams by removing 2 from the South African conferences and 1 from Australia.

2. Go to three 6 team conferences by moving Japan into Australia and Argentina into New Zealand.
Old 03-13-2017, 07:19 PM   #277
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

1. Reduce the competition to 15 teams by removing 2 from the South African conferences and 1 from Australia.
Heard this on the radio today. Apparently the Cheetahs, Kings, Force, and Rebels are the choices for contraction.

Personally I'd prefer it if Australia and New Zealand just broke away from Super Rugby altogether. Nobody watches the 3am games and none of the teams care for the travel, it's just such an awkward arrangement. And the new teams are not at all competitive. A 10 team league (although you can't use the word "league") would be so much better for both fans and teams here.
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 02:40 AM   #278
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Heard this on the radio today. Apparently the Cheetahs, Kings, Force, and Rebels are the choices for contraction.

Personally I'd prefer it if Australia and New Zealand just broke away from Super Rugby altogether. Nobody watches the 3am games and none of the teams care for the travel, it's just such an awkward arrangement. And the new teams are not at all competitive. A 10 team league (although you can't use the word "league") would be so much better for both fans and teams here.
Yeah I could see the Force or Rebels leaving as Perth and Melbourne are Aussie Rules cities that don't really support rugby.

I'm not a fan of the South African Timezone games either but don't see Super Rugby breaking up. A schedule where the Aussie and Kiwi teams play regular season games against each other and only meet the Saffas in the playoffs could work though.
Old 03-15-2017, 05:14 PM   #279
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I would be sad if the Cheetahs left, considering they are the evolution of Free State which was an original Super 10 team (IIRC), also they generally play nice running rugby. Finally, they produced my favorite SA player, Heinrich Brüssow.

I wonder if they should be a Dvi 1 and Div 2 option, although the travel costs for the div 2 would be too much of a hurdle.

Quote:
Old 03-15-2017, 06:07 PM   #280
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I would be sad if the Cheetahs left, considering they are the evolution of Free State which was an original Super 10 team (IIRC), also they generally play nice running rugby. Finally, they produced my favorite SA player, Heinrich Brüssow.

I wonder if they should be a Dvi 1 and Div 2 option, although the travel costs for the div 2 would be too much of a hurdle.
It would be said if the Cheetahs left, they are the most exciting of the South Africans teams, even though their running style hasn't achieved much success.

A Div 1 and Div 2 option would be a great idea especially as two 9 team leagues allows a 16 game schedule with 2 games against every team. Don't see this happening though.

The newest rumours out of Australia are that the Brumbies could be the team getting the axe as they are the smallest market and the owners have financial difficulties. Supposedly Super Rugby doesn't want to abandon the large market of Melbourne and Perth has the benefit of less travel and a better time zone for the South African teams. This would be really sad as the Brumbies were an original Super 12 team, are the most successful Australian franchise and have the 2nd most finals appearances after the Crusaders.

It might not be the total death of the franchise however as the rumours state the Brumbies might move to Melbourne to replace or merge with the pathetic Rebels.