Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-15-2017, 11:27 AM   #1
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default CRTC rules all carriers must provide cell phones unlocked

Seems like the CRTC is doing great job these days and way better than the FCC. The ruling just came down that all new cell phones sold by carriers after December 1st, 2017 must be sold unlocked and carriers must provide customers with unlock codes free of charge upon request from that point forward.

Excellent news if you ask me. Though knowing Robellus, they will find some way to screw this up like putting huge logos on cell phones they carry.

Quote:
The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) today announced that as of December 1, 2017, all individual and small business wireless service customers will have the right to have their cellphones and other mobile devices unlocked free of charge upon request. In addition, all newly purchased devices must be provided unlocked from that day forward.

As well, updates to the trial period will allow customers who are unhappy with their service to cancel their contract within 15 days and return their device in near-new condition at no costs, as long as they have used less than half their monthly usage limits.
https://www.canada.ca/en/radio-telev...ckingfees.html
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2017, 11:31 AM   #2
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nice. Now if they could get them to stop gouging us
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 11:33 AM   #3
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Nice. Now if they could get them to stop gouging us
Incidentally Freedom Mobile will likely be deploying their new 700Mhz spectrum by around then. I wonder how many will switch with their unlocked cell phones, similar coverage and lower plan costs by then.

T-Mobile North?
Old 06-15-2017, 11:36 AM   #4
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
Incidentally Freedom Mobile will likely be deploying their new 700Mhz spectrum by around then. I wonder how many will switch with their unlocked cell phones, similar coverage and lower plan costs by then.

T-Mobile North?
I'd switch to Freedom now, but sadly I spend maybe 2 days a month inside their 'home coverage' zone
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2017, 11:42 AM   #5
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

As long as you fulfill the terms of your contract that you signed to get the phone, I wonder what that argument will be against this decision? Other than that this will cost the carriers a source of revenue.

Once it is easier for people to hop between carriers perhaps there will be a bit more pressure to lower rates or offer incentives to stay.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 11:46 AM   #6
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'd switch to Freedom now, but sadly I spend maybe 2 days a month inside their 'home coverage' zone
Given rate of expansion on their coverage map, I'd suspect it's probably a late 2017 or early 2018 for Airdrie coverage. Though it really looks like they are pushing harder in Ontario than in Alberta.
Old 06-15-2017, 11:48 AM   #7
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've been buying my phones unlocked for a few years now, and truth be told outside of international travel there just isn't that much advantage to having an unlocked phone in Canada.

The fantasy of "taking advantage of competitive offers in the marketplace." doesn't really net out when Robellus keeps their prices within $5 of each other in any given region.

I still have high hopes for Freedom mobile, but it doesn't seem like they have the infrastructure to compete with the national carriers just yet. Yes they are cheaper per month, but it comes at the cost of service/coverage areas.

Last edited by Regular_John; 06-15-2017 at 11:52 AM.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 12:49 PM   #8
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
Given rate of expansion on their coverage map, I'd suspect it's probably a late 2017 or early 2018 for Airdrie coverage. Though it really looks like they are pushing harder in Ontario than in Alberta.
They have some coverage in Airdire apparantely, but I'm only home maybe 7-10 days a month so even that wouldn't help me
Old 06-15-2017, 12:54 PM   #9
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydorn View Post
I've been buying my phones unlocked for a few years now, and truth be told outside of international travel there just isn't that much advantage to having an unlocked phone in Canada.

The fantasy of "taking advantage of competitive offers in the marketplace." doesn't really net out when Robellus keeps their prices within $5 of each other in any given region.

I still have high hopes for Freedom mobile, but it doesn't seem like they have the infrastructure to compete with the national carriers just yet. Yes they are cheaper per month, but it comes at the cost of service/coverage areas.
As soon as Shaw as the ability to gouge they will join in the price fixing.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 01:03 PM   #10
Stud_McCool
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

All this will do is make the websites and mall kiosks that can unlock phones go out of business, while the big 3 will just tack this unlocking fee onto your new phone purchase anyway. Just my opinion.
Stud_McCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 01:05 PM   #11
alan21
Don't click that link!

Exp:

Quote:
I asked last month and they told me in July they expect Airdrie to be included in the home zone.
alan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 01:21 PM   #12
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stud_McCool View Post
All this will do is make the websites and mall kiosks that can unlock phones go out of business, while the big 3 will just tack this unlocking fee onto your new phone purchase anyway. Just my opinion.
You forget the part of the law that requires unlocking be provided for free, no charges.

The carriers can also not exceed the cost of phones sold unlocked from manufacturer else what incentives will people have to buy from carriers?

I see more likely a gradual reduction of carriers from the phone hardware business and more or an incentives based program for signing contracts. Sign contract, get first X months $10 off your contract or a phone. Or something like that.

CRTC is pushing for a European model, if we will get it depends on how many MVNOs and how many new entrants they can get here.
Old 07-04-2017, 06:31 PM   #13
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Nope, we will still be screwed by the contract cancellation fees if we switch providers even our phones are unlocked. Providers are selling contract plans so that we pay less for the phone (e.g. A $1000 iPhone is now just $500 if you sign a 2-yr plan). So if you cancel and switch provider the next day (you are welcome to do so as phones are now unlocked), the phone companies will charge you the $500 cancellation fee to make back the discount.

This CRTC ruling will help people who wants to use SIM cards in other countries while not being gouged on those stupid roaming charges. But then no one can call your Canadian phone number as you switch SIM cards, which will be another wrinkle.
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 07:31 PM   #14
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
Nope, we will still be screwed by the contract cancellation fees if we switch providers even our phones are unlocked. Providers are selling contract plans so that we pay less for the phone (e.g. A $1000 iPhone is now just $500 if you sign a 2-yr plan). So if you cancel and switch provider the next day (you are welcome to do so as phones are now unlocked), the phone companies will charge you the $500 cancellation fee to make back the discount.

This CRTC ruling will help people who wants to use SIM cards in other countries while not being gouged on those stupid roaming charges. But then no one can call your Canadian phone number as you switch SIM cards, which will be another wrinkle.
Contract cancelation charges aren't really screwing you though. They are you buying out the lease on your phone.

What the CRTC needs to do is ban bundling of phone leasing services and cellular services. A plan should be one price whether or not you enter into a phone contract. Then a separate charge for financing a new phone should be established and the phone needs to be available for purchase at the same price as a financed phone.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 12:44 PM   #15
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Amortization 101
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cell phone , crtc , freedom , gouging , robellus