Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-03-2014, 08:25 PM   #121
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

So Videotron's just going to sit on the spectrum then I guess?
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:38 PM   #122
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

I'd imagine they will for the time being to see how things play out.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:56 AM   #123
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

http://mobilesyrup.com/2014/04/17/ro...y-and-toronto/

Rogers has started to roll out 700mhz LTE in parts of Toronto, Vancouver and Calgary.

Anyone with any compatible phones and with Rogers check to see if you're connected. Not sure exactly all the phones that do 700mhz, I know the Nexus 5 does for example.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 12:46 PM   #124
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

It says in the article it's in the area of 10th Ave SW to 11th St SW, Prince’s Island Park to 1st St SW. Oh well, I'll live 1-2 bars of LTE for now.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 03:06 PM   #125
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Ah, the areas where it's been deployed were added after I posted the article. Oops.

Nice to see it rolling out in a timely fashion though. Be interesting to see anyone downtown regularly, or any else when it's deployed further to see if their bars go up.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:15 PM   #126
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

I would also love to know how it is in regards to battery life.

LTE on 2100mhz kills your battery. Supposedly LTE on 700mhz is supposed to be much more friendly to your battery.

Interestingly enough, my S3 will be compatible with 700mhz LTE when my carrier rolls it out. Already does 2100mhz LTE too. Still a great phone after 2 years.
Old 06-13-2017, 10:02 AM   #127
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Shaw/Freedom Mobile acquires all the 700Mhz spectrum outside of Quebec from Videotron/Quebecor that was bought at the last spectrum auction. Expect their LTE to improve significantly within the next year and at a frequency that can penetrate concrete extremely well. LTE Band 13 will be what is used so existing phones should work.

Quote:
Concurrently, Shaw also announced that it has entered into a definitive agreement with Quebecor Media Inc. (“Quebecor”) to acquire 700 MHz and 2500 MHz wireless spectrum licences for $430 million (the “Spectrum Transaction”). The spectrum licences being acquired comprise the 10 MHz licences of 700 MHz spectrum in each of British Columbia, Alberta, and Southern Ontario, as well as the 20 MHz licences of 2500 MHz spectrum in each of Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, and Toronto.

“Considering the acquisition of WIND (now Freedom Mobile) in 2016, we now have more synergistic investment opportunities as a leading enhanced connectivity provider within our Canadian footprint,” Mr. Shaw said. “We believe this incremental investment in our wireless business, particularly with the addition of the 700 MHz spectrum, will materially improve our long-term wireless customer experience, and will further enable our ability to offer converged network solutions to our customers.”

“We are excited about our wireless opportunity, and the additional spectrum and network investment will create a compelling wireless experience for our existing and future customers,” Mr. Shaw said. “We are pleased that we have entered into an agreement with Quebecor, and we are excited about putting this spectrum to use for the benefit of Canadians.”
http://newsroom.shaw.ca/materialDeta...lID=6442451998

Last edited by FlameOn; 06-13-2017 at 10:14 AM.
Old 06-13-2017, 10:21 AM   #128
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

That is a huge deal. The lack of 700mhz spectrum was a big reason Wind was falling behind.

The other big news recently is the CRTC is reviewing whether or not MVNO carriers should be allowed in Canada, and forcing wholesale roaming rates. If they would do that it would allow Wind to be even more competitive nation wide.
Old 06-13-2017, 12:18 PM   #129
Superflyer
Close, but no banana.

Exp:

Will this help their coverage? Right now my biggest thing is that once you leave the city you are roaming.
Superflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 02:34 PM   #130
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superflyer View Post
Will this help their coverage? Right now my biggest thing is that once you leave the city you are roaming.
It will allow them to expand outside the city more easily as they'll need less towers than they would have needed with AWS by virtue of the spectrum itself.

This doesn't mean that Freedom would have any immediate plans to expand outside the city. They'd need to hit critical mass with more customers before that. They are expanding to more communities so it's a matter of time I think.