Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2014, 04:03 PM   #61
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

There's no way Calgary's population is 1.6 million. Neither Edmonton's. We are not closer to the 2 million side of things, we just passed 1 million 3-4 years ago. City Census showed 1.195 million this past July. This must be taking into account Airdrie, Cochrane and Okotoks or something.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 04:05 PM   #62
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
There's no way Calgary's population is 1.6 million. Neither Edmonton's.
Referring to population contributing to the team. Likely includes all municipalities around that would be considered "Flames territory".

Edit: Clearly labelled "Media Market"
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 04:07 PM   #63
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
Referring to population contributing to the team. Likely includes all municipalities around that would be considered "Flames territory".
You're right, I think 1.6 is within a two or three hour drive.
RM14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 04:08 PM   #64
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Quote:

Edit: Clearly labelled "Media Market"
Not clearly defined what that means in the article.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:08 PM   #65
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not clearly defined in the article.
On the chart it is

Edit: Please note that chart is from a different article, but referred to in this one

Last edited by Street Pharmacist; 10-23-2014 at 04:21 PM.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:17 PM   #66
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
There's no way Calgary's population is 1.6 million. Neither Edmonton's. We are not closer to the 2 million side of things, we just passed 1 million 3-4 years ago. City Census showed 1.195 million this past July. This must be taking into account Airdrie, Cochrane and Okotoks or something.
http://www.tvb.ca/page_files/pdf/Inf...e/TVBasics.pdf

Page 14.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2014, 04:28 PM   #67
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
1. No definition of a "Media Market". Not sure where this is relevant?
2. Where do they get their numbers from? I'm having a hard time finding what the parameters of the Calgary market are in that document. Combination of civic census'?
Old 10-23-2014, 04:34 PM   #68
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
1. No definition of a "Media Market". Not sure where this is relevant?
2. Where do they get their numbers from? I'm having a hard time finding what the parameters of the Calgary market are in that document. Combination of civic census'?
Here's the article that graphic is from:

http://mobile.nytimes.com/blogs/five...e-stanley-cup/
Old 10-23-2014, 04:36 PM   #69
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

However it's defined, the numbers in the fivethrityeight article match the numbers provided by BBM Canda/Numeris, which is the organization that measures audiences in Canada. It's relevant for every radio and television broadcaster, and anyone who buys ads from those broadcasters.

I'd say the number used for audience size in these media markets is legit, even if the definition or methodology to reach that number isn't transparent.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 04:47 PM   #70
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Back to the article though, it pretty clearly sums up the uphill battle many markets have in the states. It's especially nice to have numbers to put something more material to the arguments for/against relocation locations
Old 10-23-2014, 04:53 PM   #71
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Those percentages for Chicago and Minneapolis-St. Paul are probably rather low, I'd say. And the methodology is suspect - basing the number of "avid fans" based on regional Google searches?
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 04:58 PM   #72
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Great article somewhat related to the subject:

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/h...nt-make-sense/

Here's an image from a previous article referred to in this one talking about number of fans:

Considering Ottawa struggles to survive I somehow doubt Kingston can support a team. They'd be stuck in that Ottawa vortex where they have a terrible local TV market so they'd get the shaft on regional TV money.

Although I guess with the Bell/Rogers battle going on it is possible. Ottawa is getting something like $24 million this year from their TV deal since they came up for renewal at the right time (right around the time Rogers got the NHL deal).
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 04:59 PM   #73
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

According to this article - http://www.ottawasun.com/2014/01/29/...e-for-practice

Ottawa went from $125,000/game to $812,000/game on their new deal.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 05:13 PM   #74
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Those percentages for Chicago and Minneapolis-St. Paul are probably rather low, I'd say. And the methodology is suspect - basing the number of "avid fans" based on regional Google searches?
Google search metadata are actually usually quite accurate for many things. It's accuracy with flu season activity is remarkably accurate
Old 10-23-2014, 05:25 PM   #75
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Google search metadata are actually usually quite accurate for many things. It's accuracy with flu season activity is remarkably accurate
Accurate is not the same as applicable. The methodology used to translate from 'people who did hockey-related searches on Google' to 'people who will shell out actual cash for NHL tickets', shall we say, could use some elucidation.
Old 10-23-2014, 05:38 PM   #76
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
Accurate is not the same as applicable. The methodology used to translate from 'people who did hockey-related searches on Google' to 'people who will shell out actual cash for NHL tickets', shall we say, could use some elucidation.
True, but it's not a bad estimate. Certainly a well designed poll or something would be better, I'm simply pointing out that search data is used a lot and often helpful. I'd say it's the best data we likely have
Old 10-23-2014, 08:57 PM   #77
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think this is TV market, so it would include (for Calgary) Lethbridge, Red Deer, Medicine Hat, etc.

Winnipeg is nowhere near 976,000 unless you counted Brandon, Flin Flon, Churchill, etc.
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 09:39 AM   #78
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Oct 30th - Coyotes @ Panthers:

troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 09:50 AM   #79
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yup, I was there and you can't blame fans for staying home when it's the yawn-fest that is the Arizona Coyotes, on a weeknight too. I bet the Dome is only half full for those games. That picture shows that most of the expensive seats are empty, but the other sections were at least half full if not more.

Still, the crowd was loud and into it, lots of chants throughout the night (albeit not necessarily really loud ones), and the fans left happy with a 2-1 win after some atrocious refereeing. The team is starting to win some games playing very solid defense, and as soon as they score some more goals in Gallant's system they'll be around the playoff bubble. Luongo has been better than advertised so far and Pirri has been great. The young talent has yet to break out this year as the veterans are carrying the bulk of the offensive load. This is not a great team, but in the weak East they should be near the playoff bubble.

The farm is doing well, leading their conference so far and scoring the 2nd most goals in the entire AHL. There are signs that the prospects are getting closer to the NHL, which means the veteran placeholders currently on the Panthers team like Kopecky, Fleischman, Upshall etc. will be replaced in a year or two.

The picture doesn't tell the whole story on the state of the franchise. I wish people would stop looking at the attendance numbers in the short term when they aren't going anywhere any time soon (like 10 years).
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 09:54 AM   #80
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Flames Fan View Post
Yup, I was there and you can't blame fans for staying home when it's the yawn-fest that is the Arizona Coyotes, on a weeknight too. I bet the Dome is only half full for those games.
You'd lose that bet.

You might find more Flames fans at an away game in Phoenix, than Panther fans at a home game.

Last edited by troutman; 10-31-2014 at 09:56 AM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote