Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2024, 12:43 AM   #41
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames can't suck for 10 years...there will be no fanbase left. Many of us are 89 or 04 ers, teams need a run to get a generation of fans into it
Old 04-17-2024, 12:53 AM   #42
alnigi
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Flames can't suck for 10 years...there will be no fanbase left. Many of us are 89 ….
couldn’t resist, haha
alnigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 01:16 AM   #43
ReinhartonD
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Some of us still remember the Rico Fata years... There's more hope in this roster going forward when you consider the abundance of draft picks, the fact that they can speed up the improvement (not too fast though) by packaging some picks and/or taking cap with sweeteners included, and guys like Brstqeysgszs or whoever the dman is we got from Vancouver.

The Toffoli trade and the Lindholm trade give me hope in Conroy's abilities and that we're not going to languish in some sort of Young Guns II purgatory for long. (Also, I forgot the goalie chaos that 98-99 year--Brathwaite played 28 games, the most of any of the 6 goalkeepers who suited up for the flames that season. Wolf will be provide better goaltending than that haphazard collection.)
ReinhartonD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ReinhartonD For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2024, 05:34 AM   #44
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Seattle gets a point Thurs before our game a lot of our players better get 'food poisoning' before the game
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 06:20 AM   #45
All In Good Time
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
Because then it would give a certain kind of fans a lifetime of things to complain about?

Just think of it. For 10 years they can complain because the team sucks (or because it doesn't suck enough, or both), and for 10 years after that they can complain that the team is never going to win anything because it didn't do what they told it to do back when it sucked. And then they can hang themselves, because the human frame is not built to take that kind of abuse for longer than 20 years.
Nothing to do with wanting to complain. It’s not unrealistic to think we will be drafting top ten for 2 or 3 more seasons, then top fifteen for another 2 or 3. That considered, it’s not much of a stretch to see that we won’t be relevant for 7 to ten years.
That’s much more likely than being relevant in 3 or 4 when the new building opens.
All In Good Time is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 07:00 AM   #46
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

My god the pity party some fans are throwing themselves haha.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 07:09 AM   #47
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
I’m pretty realistic about their chances. Frankly, my decision not to renew was more to do with price - tickets had gone up too much and with the state of the team, I didn’t want to drop that much money to see losses all the time, even though it’s a necessary move. I will likely still go to some games. Just not as many, and in the same level of seats.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2024, 07:14 AM   #48
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sad that the Nucks basically just gave us Kuzy because he was redundant with all their other scoring threats.
Old 04-17-2024, 07:17 AM   #49
All In Good Time
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
Ha ha
Yeah
Getting all upset when someone proposes another realistic timeline that doesn’t agree with theirs.
All In Good Time is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 07:18 AM   #50
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Anyone who was complaining that they were trying too hard to win the last few games should have enjoyed this one.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 07:19 AM   #51
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I’m pretty realistic about their chances. Frankly, my decision not to renew was more to do with price - tickets had gone up too much and with the state of the team, I didn’t want to drop that much money to see losses all the time, even though it’s a necessary move. I will likely still go to some games. Just not as many, and in the same level of seats.
bUt EdUcAteD hOcKeY mArKeT.
Not a dig at you, I have always hated the educated hockey market arguement that people would willingly spend thousands to guarantee watching crappy hockey.
A rebuild is needed and the Flames will need to significantly cheapen up seats to get the Dome full. I don’t think they will though.
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 07:20 AM   #52
tony-soprano
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by combustiblefuel View Post
Good thing tickets cost me 600 bucks, made sure I was in the Canucks end for 2 periods for that stinker. Least it wasn't a shut out on my Birthday.
Happy belated! I was sitting on that end as well, I figured if I endured this pain the hockey gods will side with us later.
tony-soprano is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tony-soprano For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2024, 07:23 AM   #53
Southside
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I have kept my seats, but, these increases need to stop. Every year it's a fight with the wife to renew. It's getting harder and harder to justify or rationalize. I too support overhauling the roster, it's neccesary renewal. If my decision becomes not to retain my seats it will be more financial than anything else. I think the Flames have a good scouting staff and with enough picks they will get some great players and be competitive again within a few years.
Southside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 07:24 AM   #54
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
I've been trying to not post on losing days... But judging by the game tonight, this roster really sucks ass and will continue to suck ass for quite a while. Yes, a few extra picks upcoming... But no core. No succession. No generational talent... Pretty bleak future for being a Flames' fan...
Well it wasn't going to be rosy in a sell off season!

I think most fans see more hope with a closet full of futures and not walking 5-7 UFAs to the market.

Glass half full man, not empty and chipped!
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 07:27 AM   #55
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Anyone who was complaining that they were trying too hard to win the last few games should have enjoyed this one.
Yeah. I was fine with it haha
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 07:49 AM   #56
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
bUt EdUcAteD hOcKeY mArKeT.
Not a dig at you, I have always hated the educated hockey market arguement that people would willingly spend thousands to guarantee watching crappy hockey.
A rebuild is needed and the Flames will need to significantly cheapen up seats to get the Dome full. I don’t think they will though.
One guy doesn't renew his season tickets and the bottom is dropping off.
Old 04-17-2024, 07:50 AM   #57
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Flames aren't going to be magically gifted a new era of franchise players. Those players have to be earned the hard way. Every fanbase has to go through the down cycles. Today's pain will hopefully lead to prosperity in the future and looking at today's roster and prospect base, it could be rough for a while. I've accepted it which is why I don't post to complain about the losses. Just have to continue supporting the organization however you can whether it's by going to games or watching on TV, etc, as even if the wins aren't always there, watching young players mature and grow into stars can be fun. The good times will return and it's just a matter of time.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2024, 08:06 AM   #58
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
The Flames aren't going to be magically gifted a new era of franchise players. Those players have to be earned the hard way. Every fanbase has to go through the down cycles. Today's pain will hopefully lead to prosperity in the future and looking at today's roster and prospect base, it could be rough for a while. I've accepted it which is why I don't post to complain about the losses. Just have to continue supporting the organization however you can whether it's by going to games or watching on TV, etc, as even if the wins aren't always there, watching young players mature and grow into stars can be fun. The good times will return and it's just a matter of time.
Well said.
Except for Edmonton, they got too many gifts and still managed to F it up until lucking out on McBaby.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 08:13 AM   #59
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by All In Good Time View Post
The serious consideration is, how many will pay that, to watch that over the next 7 to 10 years?
I turned down free tickets to this game.
We are playing for nothing and I'm too busy with important things.
I expect the dome will be pretty empty next year.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 08:13 AM   #60
Captain Otto
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'm actually looking forward to the draft.

Nice to have our 3rd top 10 pick in the past 20 years and should be in a good player.

In contrast, the oilers have had 11 top 10 picks in the same 20 year period.
Captain Otto is offline   Reply With Quote