Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 05:05 PM   #1301
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Wildrose finance critic Derek Fildebrant utterly takes down Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne as she sits in the leg. Aaaawkward.
Wildrose come off looking pretty bad on this. They should have simply ignored Wynne and scored their points later to the press by comparing Notley and Wynne's fiscal trainwreck. Trying to publically humiliate her in the Leg serves no purpose other than to try and score some cheap points. As much as I dislike Wynne we still have to deal with the other Provinces and it makes no sense to poke a sitting Premier with a stick. She is Ontario's problem and they keep electing her party no matter how inept/corrupt they are.

Edit: Pretty funny that Notley called someone else "not ready to govern" though.

Last edited by Jacks; 05-27-2016 at 05:08 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jacks For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2016, 05:31 PM   #1302
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought it was a fantastic reality check. It's something only an opposition party could do and I'm glad they did. Let the governing party pretend to like her. I think reality should be represented at least a little bit. She really is a horrible witch.
Old 05-27-2016, 06:51 PM   #1303
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
I thought it was a fantastic reality check. It's something only an opposition party could do and I'm glad they did. Let the governing party pretend to like her. I think reality should be represented at least a little bit. She really is a horrible witch.
Its just wrong on so many fronts though. Whether you like her politics or not is irrelevant because she's a guest. The fact that Jean and some of the Wildrose wouldn't stand to receive her and treated her like garbage is just embarrassing.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2016, 08:06 PM   #1304
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Its just wrong on so many fronts though. Whether you like her politics or not is irrelevant because she's a guest. The fact that Jean and some of the Wildrose wouldn't stand to receive her and treated her like garbage is just embarrassing.
Actually only 20% of ontario voters approve of her. She's affecting lives by putting her ideologies ahead of what's best for her residents and needs to be called out on it. We're not in kindergarden here where we have to give an "A" for effort. She has a job to help her residents and isn't making good decisions. I'm glad she got called out.

https://www.thestar.com/news/queensp...mier-poll.html
The Following User Says Thank You to stampsx2 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2016, 08:16 PM   #1305
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
Actually only 20% of ontario voters approve of her. She's affecting lives by putting her ideologies ahead of what's best for her residents and needs to be called out on it. We're not in kindergarden here where we have to give an "A" for effort. She has a job to help her residents and isn't making good decisions. I'm glad she got called out.

It's not our place as Alberta voters and residents to make a political statement because we disagree with something in a different jurisdiction.

I just think that part of the role of a politician is as a figurehead. When you have a visiting dignitary you can set aside political wrangling and act professionally.
Old 05-27-2016, 08:21 PM   #1306
para transit fellow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I am reminded about a fellow in kelowna getting vocally upset with me because I asked him to stop sending me daily faxes about his reconditioned toner cartridges...

He lit in to me with a rant that I was incompetent and I should be watching the bottom line of the charity I work for.... by purchasing his product.

When I told him .h current supplier was lower cost plus they personally dropped off the cartridges... he started yelling at me even louder... telling me i was a piece of ####

I cannot find anyone to suggest I buy his product.
Old 05-27-2016, 08:24 PM   #1307
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

So the leg is in session, and these people are being paid to represent their constituents... I'm not sure that we're getting our money's worth if they're just being decorative figureheads. Whether you agree with the WRP or not, I'm not sure it's wrong for them to use the time to make a statement as to what they think public policy in Alberta should be (e.g., "let's not do what Ontario did").

But it seems like some people are much more upset about this than I was inclined to be so maybe the whole thing is just totally going over my head. Can someone give me some convincing reasons that this was the wrong thing to do? All I hear is "it's not done" and "it's not classy" and the like.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 05-27-2016, 08:25 PM   #1308
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

^I think the only real problem is the timing. It happened at a place where Wynne had no opportunity to offer a rebuttal.

Quote:
It's not our place as Alberta voters and residents to make a political statement because we disagree with something in a different jurisdiction.
I think if it is Notley's place to bring her over as a little showpiece - itself a political statement - then it is also ours to criticize same. The way Fildebrandt handled it needed to be better, but his message was bang on.
Old 05-27-2016, 09:19 PM   #1309
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
So the leg is in session, and these people are being paid to represent their constituents... I'm not sure that we're getting our money's worth if they're just being decorative figureheads. Whether you agree with the WRP or not, I'm not sure it's wrong for them to use the time to make a statement as to what they think public policy in Alberta should be (e.g., "let's not do what Ontario did").

But it seems like some people are much more upset about this than I was inclined to be so maybe the whole thing is just totally going over my head. Can someone give me some convincing reasons that this was the wrong thing to do? All I hear is "it's not done" and "it's not classy" and the like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
^I think the only real problem is the timing. It happened at a place where Wynne had no opportunity to offer a rebuttal.

I think if it is Notley's place to bring her over as a little showpiece - itself a political statement - then it is also ours to criticize same. The way Fildebrandt handled it needed to be better, but his message was bang on.
It is about class and professionalism though. Someone is visiting the legislature and they're not there to get into a debate with you at all. So you just acknowledge them politely and move along with your day. Acting ignorant and purposefully snubbing Wynne doesn't accomplish anything.

And its not just that she didn't have a chance to rebut. It would be just as distasteful if she stood up in the leg and started railing against the opposition (or government, obviously). She's from another jurisdiction and an elected official there. None of these guys are running against her any time soon.
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2016, 09:45 PM   #1310
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

We shouldn't even deal with Wynne period. In business, whenever you hold your nose and deal with a snake because you think you need to, you wind up getting burned. She's a write off and will cause more harm than good.
Old 05-27-2016, 09:47 PM   #1311
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

I'm curious -if Wynn was the premier of PEI instead of Ontario, would she still have been invited?

Part of me thinks her coming here was because of just how important Ontario is to the stability of a functioning Canada; not necessarily because of her politics. The Wildrose need to understand that making political statements like that does is no good - especially when Ontario has to be an ally of ours in supporting energy infrastructure.
Old 05-27-2016, 11:03 PM   #1312
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I tend to hope that Notley isn't taking any advice from Wynne who will live with the legacy of being one of the most dishonest underhanded and incompetent politicians provincially that this province has ever had.
I fear they are cut from the same cloth, I think it is a 99% certainty.
Old 05-28-2016, 01:07 AM   #1313
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

@MichaelRHWood

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."
Old 05-28-2016, 01:13 AM   #1314
lambeburger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Offending FB post:
Old 05-28-2016, 02:03 AM   #1315
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

well that was positively stupid

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 05-28-2016, 02:22 AM   #1316
CampbellsTransgressions
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post

Calling her out accomplishes slightly less than nothing. It was a cheap shot by our genius WR finance critic Derek Fildebrant, who has already shown himself to have only slightly more than 3 functioning brain cells. We apparently are in kindergarten, because we can't have a civilized legislature session without the WR pouting about something they don't like. If you don't think Fildebrant was being a complete #######, then that makes you one as well. End of story.

Don't blame anyone for voting NDP. This is exactly why the WR aren't palatable to the majority of people in this province.

Edit: it's actually almost hilarious how much of a child Fildebrant is if not for the fact that some of you actually want to defend him.

We are truly screwed and the NDP supporters aren't entirely the ones to blame.

Edit: anyway, how to ruin your political career in one day. LOL. Time to get a real job. Oh wait, he's just a stubborn lying politician like the rest of them and has never worked a day in the private sector. Amazing how he ended up the financial critic. LOL again. What happened to the pro-business Wildrose? Oh right, they're full of #### just like the rest of the parties.

Now that I think about it, I can't wait to vote for Notley in 3 years.

Last edited by CampbellsTransgressions; 05-28-2016 at 02:46 AM.
Old 05-28-2016, 06:36 AM   #1317
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Check Fildebrant's twitter, he's basically apologized profusely and explained he didn't read it closely. I mean I just do not care about this crap. I was almost certainly never voting WRP in the first place next go-around, but can we deal with something substantive instead of decorum and social media comments? Always bogged down with meaningless nonsense...
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2016, 07:12 AM   #1318
Kavvy
Self Imposed Exile

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by united View Post
@MichaelRHWood

Love it. I never minded Brian even if I dislike his politics.

also love how people were defending the way the premier was treated in the leg and now their own party leader takes action.
Old 05-28-2016, 07:35 AM   #1319
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavvy View Post
Love it. I never minded Brian even if I dislike his politics.

also love how people were defending the way the premier was treated in the leg and now their own party leader takes action.
Those are two separate issues. He was suspended due to appearing to condone the Facebook post, and as CHL noted above he has already apologized for that numerous times.
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2016, 07:58 AM   #1320
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
It is about class and professionalism though. Someone is visiting the legislature and they're not there to get into a debate with you at all. So you just acknowledge them politely and move along with your day. Acting ignorant and purposefully snubbing Wynne doesn't accomplish anything.

And its not just that she didn't have a chance to rebut. It would be just as distasteful if she stood up in the leg and started railing against the opposition (or government, obviously). She's from another jurisdiction and an elected official there. None of these guys are running against her any time soon.
I agree. There is a time and place for things and this was not it. It just makes Fildebrandt and, by extension, the Wildrose Party look petty and unprofessional.
Closed Thread