Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2016, 07:29 AM   #61
Methanolic
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Amazing lap by Ricciardo to secure the pole. You could feel the speed, no need to look at the stop watch, just watching him fly through the turns after the tunnel was fantastic!! happy for Daniel and tomorrows start should be super exciting.
Methanolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 09:26 PM   #62
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I'm watching qualifying. Pre qualifying show actually. Few thoughts. Schumacher was always such a scumbag. Stopping intentionally on track to secure pole. Dbag. Kimi might be my favourite personality. Reminds me of Kippers laid back attitude. Both Finns of course.

Unfortunately I couldn't keep myself from finding out so the awesomeness of Ricciardo getting pole has been spoiled.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 09:59 PM   #63
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Not sure if it was Kvyat driving by Max right after he crashed into the wall but I'm pretty sure Kvyat was laughing if it was him.
Old 05-29-2016, 09:01 AM   #64
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

10% of the race gone under safety car start. Hopefully the variable conditions produce some fun.

Oh and Ser Davos!
Old 05-29-2016, 09:49 AM   #65
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Lap 38. Hamilton better get a penalty or have to give up that spot. Ricciardo clearly had position and Hamilton cut the corner.

And I wanna see a force India on the podium. Oh and lol oh Max.
Old 05-29-2016, 10:43 AM   #66
Methanolic
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Wow! Great race that had absolutely everything!! five tire types, Starting under caution, team orders, team orders being ignored, blue flags being ignored and stupidity, (Kimi) I love the guy but man was that dumb. Maybe he was not aware his front wing was under the car but get the hell of the racing line, he sure as hell knew he didn't have speed once he entered the tunnel. Those Sauber drivers were behaving like little brats.

Cringe worthy seeing Beiber right there on the track for the podium ceremony.

I think the stewards made the right call re Ricciardo/Hamilton at the chicane. Absolute heartbreak though what happened to Daniel in his pit box, I don't recall ever seeing a pit crew so confused and disorganized. Ricciardo didn't mince words after the race either. I heard he refused to even speak with team Redbull after the race.

I don't know what Ricciardo's contract situation is but for sure he must be wide open to discussion with other teams after what happened in Barcelona and then today's disaster.

Congrats to force India and good to see Alonso with a respectable result.

Looking forward to Montreal and possible wet weather racing.
The Following User Says Thank You to Methanolic For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2016, 10:53 AM   #67
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Yeah Biebs loser. I also hate royalty. So stupid.

The race though, very fun. So much drama. I don't really like either Merc driver but I do hope Lewis makes a fight of it. And yeah I guess Hamilton couldn't be forced to give it up but would have had to be given a penalty and he raced well so I don't blame the stewards for not penalizing him.

Yeah Montreal forecast has some rain looks like. It rained heavy last year on Friday afternoon but changeable conditions all weekend could create some excitement. Hopefully it isn't too ugly though! It's less fun making the long walk around the track when you're soaked and getting on the metro all damp and gross.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 05-29-2016 at 10:56 AM.
Old 05-29-2016, 11:56 AM   #68
Methanolic
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I Agree with you regarding the fight for the championship.

Also, Apparently the radio communication between the team and Kimi were enough for the stewards to give Kimi a pass on his incident. Kimi is such a cheeky bugger, You can never take him at his word.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report...onaco-incident

And!! Sounds like (^) you're going to the race in Quebec, I'm jealous beyond belief. Here's hoping for a dry weekend.....Have fun!!
Old 05-29-2016, 01:13 PM   #69
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Haha yes I am going to Montreal in 10 days. Sorry for the subtle brag in my last post lol! But I'm so jacked. This will be the second straight year. I'd like to make it an annual tradition. It's actually relatively cheap, all things considered since there is no currency worries.

I'm sitting in the Senna package this time, sat main straight last year all three days. So I'm at hairpin fri, main straight sat and senna corner Sunday. Staying Airbnb for $40 a night near downtown. Hopefully my seats don't suck. I bought them late.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2016, 05:26 PM   #70
GreenHardHat
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I'm heading to the race as well this year. It will be my first time. We get to Montreal on the Thursday before the race.

Any tips or pointers?
GreenHardHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 06:05 PM   #71
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Hmmm.

Ok so a few things, there is food at the track and some of it isn't ridiculous, last year I bought a smokie for like $5 or whatever but it can add up if you're always spending. You are allowed to bring in food and drink(including booze).I bring sandwiches and go eat in the beautiful park area between sessions. It's like princes island park in the middle of the island. It's awesome. And you can hear the Ferrari challenge cars scream by while you eat. There's another really good hang out area where they have a stage and tons of tables. It's kind of in the middle. You can't miss it.

Take the metro it's by far the best way to get there. Once you are there you have to cross one of two bridges. You can go left, which is closer to the hairpin, or go right which is closer to the senna corner. It is a long ass walk, like a km or more to your seats depending on where your sit. I found the bridge on the left was way busier. That'd be the cosmos bridge when I say left. And iles bridge when I say right.

Whatever time you plan on being in your seats, plan your trip accordingly because the metro can get busy and like I said the walk can be quite a hike. Last year I missed the first 15 or 20 minutes of practice one session because I underestimated the amount of time it would take me to get to my seats which were on the opposite end of the island from the train. If you're at the hairpin it'll be a much shorter walk.

While food is pricey but not insane, merch is ####ing insane. There should be a main sales area kind of in the middle of the island with official booths for each team. There will also be unofficial vendor booths throughout. They all basically have the same stuff. Expect to pay $60 for a tshirt and $150 for a polo. $70 for a hat. The circuit Gilles villeneuve stuff isn't as bad. More normal $40 tshirt and $60 polo prices. If you want official team gear maybe go to their official booths to be safe. One lady tried to pass off red bull gear that was two years old as the new stuff to me last year.

It is quiet Friday, kinda busy Saturday and insane busy Sunday so again plan your time accordingly.

They check your tickets everywhere so no moving to prime sections on Friday even though it'll be quite empty. I think there are even some parts of the island you aren't even allowed to go if your section isn't in that area.

They give away free McDonald's coffee last year. It was great. i was wired for four straight days.

I don't have a ton else to say. Get a metro pass. Check event listings if you want to go see stuff. Can't go wrong with Peel st, st catherines and maybe one or two others. They literally block off those entire streets downtown and it is crazy fun day and night. There are a ton of event guides online. The Montreal newspapers also have articles on stuff going on each year they are a good resource too. There are galas and constant car shows and concerts going on downtown day and night.

Old Montreal is cool. Notre dame church. This year I'm gonna see the art museum on Thursday after the open house at the track, which i figure you'll miss unless you arrive super early Thursday as it only goes 9-noon.

Sunscreen, hat, etc etc. Kinda goes without saying.

If you have General Admission tickets, well sorry but Montreal is known for having crappy GA areas. Scope out your preferred spot Friday and show up before dawn on Sunday lol.

There was a festival in little Italy last year on Saturday. I went here after qualifying and watched the champions league final on the street and ate a delicious porchetta sandwich. This year it'll be euro to watch!

I don't know. Not much else. Most people speak English so my minimal French wasn't a big deal. I don't club/party or eat fancy so no advice there.

If I think of anything else I'll let you know. I have advice on tickets and where to sit but it's too late for that.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 05-29-2016 at 06:13 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2016, 06:17 PM   #72
GreenHardHat
Backup Goalie

Exp:

That's awesome. Thanks for all the information.

The girlfriend really wanted to see the pits, so we had to get the expensive tickets. We found a relatively cheap airbnb place in the old port to balance it out.

I've heard it's comparable to stampede time in Calgary, but on a larger city scale. Now that it's a few weeks away I'm getting super excited.
GreenHardHat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenHardHat For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2016, 06:25 PM   #73
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

I sat across from the pits last year. There are videos screens for when the cars aren't in front of you and commentary guys give you updates which is nice. We take for granted watching in tv how hard it can be to follow when you can only see like 10% of the track and have no one telling you why there's a red flag.

They are the only sections with seat backs which is nice. I believe you won't be limited in where you go then. Last year there was one checkpoint you could only get by if you sat in the main grandstand. Keep the riffraff out I think lol.

Only downside is you are on a straight so the cars go by in like 2s. It's still amazing though.

There are a few places where you can get pretty close to the track, like right up to the fence. Basically any area that isn't a section with seats is considered GA so you're free to just walk up as close as you can get. During P1 I walked around a bit and it was cool to see them from angles other than just my seats. Most areas are double fenced though so you don't get closer than about 15 feet from track at ground level.

your seats will be worth it just for the pre race grid, including celebrity sitings on track like Al Pacino last year, and of course the race start which is phenomenal. Oh and main grandstand is also good for post race because you can easily see the podium.

Good luck, have fun!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2016, 08:42 PM   #74
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Way behind because I've been doing concrete sidewalk and stairs all weekend. Kept falling asleep in the evening watchnig qualifying and the race!

Ricardo was magic in qualifying, that Red Bull just looked so fast and planted. What a change form last year. Kinda to bad we didn't get to see his unique tire strategy play out.

I was happy the rain stopped so they could really go race. Mercedes should have let Hamilton go way earlier. Championship leader or not, Lewis deserved a chance to go.

Poor poor Ricardo. He almost made it out of the pit in front of Lewis, so close. Really feel bad for him. I think he'll have a good chance in Montreal if he can post a good qualifying lap.

A lot of weird stuff with everyone else. The Sauber's...geez guys. I know you buy your spots but you still are part of a team. I'm not sure why Kimi didn't initially back up to get off the wing. He had a moment before he tried to go.

Really like that Rosberg did some poorly, really opens up the championship, especially if Ricardo or either of the Ferrari's get some points...Maybe if the Mercs take themselves out together again...

Super jealous of you guys going to Montreal...one day. Enjoy!
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2016, 09:09 PM   #75
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh, good Job Sergio and Alonso! Honda finally looking a little competitive, though their engine sounds like it is munching on bolts.
Old 05-31-2016, 06:30 AM   #76
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just wondering if anyone else noticed, but Hamilton seams to have found God....I don't remember him ever talking like this before but he said he prayed, he was blessed and thanked God a few times to Martin Brundel in the podium interview. Has he always said stuff like this, or am I just noticing?

Also, Ugh. Bieber. That'd be about the last person I'd want to celebrate with.
Old 05-31-2016, 12:21 PM   #77
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Didn't notice the religious thing with Lewis, but I have noticed that he's hilariously emotional.

When he's winning he's constantly being boisterous and partying. And when he's not winning...wow he gets crabby. I know the media just pump it up and when pressed about it he claims he's focused, but it sure does seem like he's pouting.
Old 05-31-2016, 12:29 PM   #78
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

40 seconds... Thank God
58 Prayed for a day like this. Truly blessed.
1:30 Thank God

Whatever, I just don't remember him saying it so often after a race.
http://hollowverse.com/lewis-hamilton/

He does really seam to be an image guy, and win or lose he always thanks the fans and says how great a job the race organizers have done.
Old 05-31-2016, 08:21 PM   #79
Methanolic
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I also noticed the "Thank you to God" and the "I prayed for this" but I can't honestly say if it's a "new" thing or not. Perhaps it is though because after Monaco it really stood out in his post race interviews.

On the other item, I think Lewis has always been one of those guys that makes sure he pays special attention to the fans and thanks them for coming out to the track.

Edit;

You could almost say he's (Lewis) the opposite of Niki Lauda because from all the documentaries etc. I've seen about him, He didn't give a crap what anybody thought!

Last edited by Methanolic; 05-31-2016 at 08:25 PM. Reason: after thought
Old 05-31-2016, 10:36 PM   #80
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post

Poor poor Ricardo. . . I think he'll have a good chance in Montreal if he can post a good qualifying lap.
No chance the Renault engine can keep up with the Mercedes. Montreal has always been a horsepower track. RBR had better hope for a wet race if then hope to be on the podium.
DoubleK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fast , formula , nascar sucks , racing