Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2016, 10:15 PM   #721
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Wentz is still hurt I believe
Reports seem to be that Wentz is starting.
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 10:15 PM   #722
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
At the moment, Chase Daniel is penciled in as the team's starting quarterback, but ESPN NFL Insider Adam Caplan is reporting the team plans on starting Wentz Week 1 if he's healthy

The NFL's Network's Mike Garafolo confirmed Caplan's report almost instantly, and noted Daniel is not too happy about the idea of Wentz assuming the starting role
Its so Eagley to do this. Why not let your injured rookie QB sit a game or 2 and not throw him to the wolves that are NFL secondaires in name only?
Old 09-03-2016, 11:11 PM   #723
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Its so Eagley to do this. Why not let your injured rookie QB sit a game or 2 and not throw him to the wolves that are NFL secondaires in name only?
Eagles gonna Eagle. To be fair Daniel has been garbage against those same secondaries all preseason so what do they have to lose?
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 12:14 AM   #724
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another team offers you a 1st round pick for Bradford to take it and run. Not a big fan of Wentz being rushed as starter, but it is what is. Hopefully everything works out.
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 08:43 AM   #725
Fozzie_DeBear
Wucka Wocka Wacka

Exp:

Hmm...maybe Ertz will get more attention now.

"It was a debacle of monumental proportions." -MacT
Fozzie_DeBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 09:04 AM   #726
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Eagles gonna Eagle. To be fair Daniel has been garbage against those same secondaries all preseason so what do they have to lose?

I understand that sentiment as well, but so often its happened where teams rush a young guy that isn't ready into the QB position and just destroy any chance of him being successful which often means he will never reach his potential. Then they go and draft another guy and it becomes a rinse and repeat scenario.

I dunno....the team is going to struggle either way, i just think it wold be much more prudent to let Daniel take the bullets early on and let Wentz watch and learn from the sidelines.
Old 09-04-2016, 09:59 AM   #727
Francis's Hairpiece
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Ravens have apparently come to an agreement with Devin Hester. He's 33, and coming off of toe surgery in January. Holding my breath...
Old 09-04-2016, 10:08 AM   #728
DropIt
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis's Hairpiece View Post
Ravens have apparently come to an agreement with Devin Hester. He's 33, and coming off of toe surgery in January. Holding my breath...
Just doesnt have it in him to be an NFL WR.

He was so fast and still see's the return gaps as well as anyone there ever was, but when it came to running routes he just couldn't hack it.
DropIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 10:10 AM   #729
DropIt
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bears and Saints both rumoured to be meeting with recently cut guard Josh Sitton.

If no further established teams come calling, then Chicago might have a real shot at him
Old 09-04-2016, 10:15 AM   #730
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man do we need him, but sadly I don't see him leaving Chicago. Ultimately ended with GB due to contact demands, Bears have over $26M in cap space. Saints have under $2M remaining.

Saints GM Loomis is the king of finding ways to squeeze in big contracts when you're already up against the cap, but I just have a feeling he's going to end up in navy blue here. We'll see what happens..
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 10:19 AM   #731
DropIt
Franchise Player

Exp:

The issue with the Bears is that we would need him ideally to play center, which I have no clue if he'd be on board for doing
Old 09-04-2016, 10:40 AM   #732
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh didn't realize that, maybe there is a chance..C along with LT are the only places on the OL where we're actually set. RT and especially both guard positions are a complete liability and could get Brees murdered. We need someone like Sitton SO bad.

haha don't get my hopes up! It hurts so much more when it doesn't happen then. Need our former boy Ryan Pace to blow it. Everyone on the Saints forum expecting to get "Pace'd"
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 11:12 AM   #733
Francis's Hairpiece
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropIt View Post
Just doesnt have it in him to be an NFL WR.

He was so fast and still see's the return gaps as well as anyone there ever was, but when it came to running routes he just couldn't hack it.
Agreed, and I believe he is their KR and PR as the two guys they had drafted for the job weren't cutting it.

Ravens still only kept 5 WR's, and Steve Smith Sr is coming off an Achilles tear and Perriman has had knee issues from day one, so I'm hoping they hold together and they don't need to utilize Hester as a WR.
Old 09-04-2016, 11:54 AM   #734
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

It's pretty difficult to question Thompson/McCarthy decisions when it comes to personnel, but this Sitton thing is really difficult to understand. He has one year left on his deal which pays him 5.5 or so. What was the hurry to rid yourself of him as there are no salary cap issues at this point with 15 million in space, he is a 3 time pro-bowl player and a close friend of Rodgers.

Football is such a cut-throat business and i understand they have a couple young guys they really like, but why not release a back-up OLine guy, sign him to the practice roster and keep Sitton one more year?

Dont like the move at all and fear it will leave a bad taste in many players mouths.
Old 09-04-2016, 12:14 PM   #735
DropIt
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
It's pretty difficult to question Thompson/McCarthy decisions when it comes to personnel, but this Sitton thing is really difficult to understand. He has one year left on his deal which pays him 5.5 or so. What was the hurry to rid yourself of him as there are no salary cap issues at this point with 15 million in space, he is a 3 time pro-bowl player and a close friend of Rodgers.

Football is such a cut-throat business and i understand they have a couple young guys they really like, but why not release a back-up OLine guy, sign him to the practice roster and keep Sitton one more year?

Dont like the move at all and fear it will leave a bad taste in many players mouths.
Ryan Pace made a similarly questionable decision in cutting Slauson this year after being our most reliable Offensive lineman in 2015/16. A lot of fans scratching their heads on that decision especially with the cap room and the now urgent need for a Center.
Old 09-04-2016, 12:14 PM   #736
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Adam Schefter
ESPN Senior Writer

Former Titans' RB Bishop Sankey, who went unclaimed on waivers, is signing with Patriots' practice squad
Such a Patriot type move. Likely a good one as well.
Old 09-04-2016, 12:20 PM   #737
DropIt
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Oh didn't realize that, maybe there is a chance..C along with LT are the only places on the OL where we're actually set. RT and especially both guard positions are a complete liability and could get Brees murdered. We need someone like Sitton SO bad.

haha don't get my hopes up! It hurts so much more when it doesn't happen then. Need our former boy Ryan Pace to blow it. Everyone on the Saints forum expecting to get "Pace'd"
The connections between the Bears and Saints the past few years seems uncanny. Always seem to be in the news surrounding each other.
I think at this point though, with the cap room and the fact that Cody Whitehair is a rookie and currently starting at LG, maybe they dont feel he is capable of starting quite yet. He had an average camp which is usually pretty good news regarding OL.

Sitton just fits everything about what the Bears have changed their OL to so well and the fit seems ideal:

Money: The Bears have a lot of it and have a need on the line and a rabid fan base that wants to see it resolved.

Proximity: Sitton's lived near GB for his entire professional career, his home and family and community is there. Chicago is the closest NFL city to GB.

Starting Role: Sitton could start at center or guard allowing a rookie to develop and Larsen to be the swing guard

Scheme: He's familiar with the zone-blocking scheme, has talent there and is excellent in pass protection (one of the best PP guards in the NFL)

Revenge: Division Rival Revenge Contract
The Following User Says Thank You to DropIt For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2016, 06:02 PM   #738
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Sam Bradford Eagles-Vikings trade: 10 observations

Quote:
5. But the one thing about Bradford that has always bothered me the most is his touchdown percentage. He just does not throw touchdowns. He’s accurate, he’s smart, he gets the ball down the field (I know you don’t believe this but it’s actually true … the numbers prove it). But he just doesn’t get it in the end zone. Of 38 active quarterbacks who’ve thrown 1,000 or more passes, Bradford ranks third from the bottom — 36th — in TD percentage at one every 29 pass attempts, ahead of only Blaine Gabbert and Chad Henne. Adding all quarterbacks in NFL history who’ve thrown 1,000 passes, Bradford drops to 198th out of 227. If you can’t get the ball in the end zone, none of the other stats matter. And that’s been Bradford’s Achilles’ heel his whole career.
Quote:
8. How will Bradford do in Minnesota? The Vikings ranked No. 5 in the NFL in points allowed last year, and they feel like with that defense, with Adrian Peterson running the ball and with Bradford simply managing the game, distributing the ball, being smart and avoiding mistakes, they are primed for a deep playoff run. It’s a lot to ask a guy to come in eight days before the season and play at a high level. It’s going to take Bradford time to learn what will essentially be a fourth offense in three years. And in a division with the Packers, you certainly aren’t going to have an easy route to the playoffs. Realistically, you better be thinking wild card. Maybe this sounds crazy, but I actually think Bradford will play OK in Minnesota. In Philly, he’d have to be a superstar to get this team to the playoffs. With the Vikings, a lot of that pressure is off. If he can just go out and avoid mistakes, they’re a 10 or 11-win team. And there’s no question what seems like an impossible transition will be easier thanks to Pat Shurmur, who holds the title of Vikings tight ends coach but is now in his third city with Bradford. The two speak the same football language, and he’ll be a huge help for Bradford figuring the offense out.

The thing about Bradford is that he teases you with his ability and accuracy and athleticism. Then he falls just short. He always seems to do just enough to make you think that next year he’ll be really good. And maybe he’s just fated to being a mediocre quarterback his entire career and never getting a team to the playoffs. But I’m going to go the other way. I say Bradford, finally with a team that actually wants him, has a career year and the Vikings get to the playoffs. You can make a compelling case that none of that will happen, but I’m going on some hunches here. Will be fascinating to watch.
http://www.csnphilly.com/philadelphi...s-carson-wentz
Old 09-04-2016, 08:44 PM   #739
DropIt
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bears sign Sitton!
Old 09-04-2016, 09:09 PM   #740
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropIt View Post
Bears sign Sitton!

and release Robbie Gould...dude has been a stud his entire career.

Quote:
Gould, 34, is the Bears' all-time franchise leader in career points (1,207), field goals made (276) and career field goals of 50 yards or more (23).

The longest-tenured player on the Bears' roster, Gould is the ninth-most-accurate kicker in league history. He also owns the NFL's third-best field goal percentage from 50 yards or longer.