Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2016, 02:30 PM   #681
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...epernick-socks

The only thing Kaepernick is bringing awareness to is that he's an idiot. Sure there are bad apples but the majority of officers put their lives on the line daily to protect citizens. This level of disrespect is simply in poor taste.
Yeah, that's dumb.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 03:01 PM   #682
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah that shows how clueless he is - not helping the problem by making a childish statement like that.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 03:14 PM   #683
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not saying he's a genius or anything, but it's pretty obvious he's trying to get himself cut here. Whether he truly believes any of this I'm not sure, but I do think he's trying to make himself such a distraction they just dump him.
Old 09-01-2016, 05:01 PM   #684
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropIt View Post
Has anything come out explaining what happened? I know there is always a few walkthrough injuries every year but this one sounds horrid. From what ive hear ld the visual of it had players vomitting.
If you have the stomach for it you can google tibiofemoral dislocation, it's not a pretty thing. Must have just planted his leg at an odd angle and away it went. Seems to be just ligament damage so he was incredibly lucky as well.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 05:33 PM   #685
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
I'm not saying he's a genius or anything, but it's pretty obvious he's trying to get himself cut here. Whether he truly believes any of this I'm not sure, but I do think he's trying to make himself such a distraction they just dump him.
He was getting cut whether any of this happened or not.
Old 09-01-2016, 05:42 PM   #686
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
If you have the stomach for it you can google tibiofemoral dislocation, it's not a pretty thing. Must have just planted his leg at an odd angle and away it went. Seems to be just ligament damage so he was incredibly lucky as well.
Apparently he is lucky to still have his leg. There are reports that if he didn't get medical attention as quickly as he did that his leg would be done for. His knee basically exploded. Pretty gruesome stuff.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 12:00 AM   #687
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Apparently he is lucky to still have his leg. There are reports that if he didn't get medical attention as quickly as he did that his leg would be done for. His knee basically exploded. Pretty gruesome stuff.
My goodness how does that happen on such an innocent act? A player could take hundreds of hits over their career and never suffer such a catastrophic injury. Man that's going to take a lot of rehab.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 09:37 AM   #688
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I remember after his sophomore season everyone talked about Christian Hackenberg as a guy who'd probably go in the top 5 and maybe even #1 when he went into the NFL. Here was his stat line last night:

11/31, 54 yards, INT (pick 6). He did run for 15 yards I guess.

Just shows what a crapshoot the NFL draft really is. In two years he went from likely top 5 to likely career 3rd stringer (in an era most teams carry only 2 QBs).
Old 09-02-2016, 09:47 AM   #689
wpgflamesfan
3 Wolves Short of 2 Millionth Post

Exp:

Quote:
I remember after his sophomore season everyone talked about Christian Hackenberg as a guy who'd probably go in the top 5 and maybe even #1 when he went into the NFL. Here was his stat line last night:

11/31, 54 yards, INT (pick 6). He did run for 15 yards I guess.

Just shows what a crapshoot the NFL draft really is. In two years he went from likely top 5 to likely career 3rd stringer (in an era most teams carry only 2 QBs).
At least they didn't trade two first rounders, two second rounders, and two third rounders to move up to number 1 and select Jared Goff who couldn't even beat out second year UDFA Sean Mannion for the backup role in Los Angeles.
wpgflamesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 09:53 AM   #690
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

It was always a very poor QB class, that the Rams and Eagles deluded themselves into thinking Goff and Wentz were worthy of top 2 selections just shows the desperation level teams have for QBs. Both are textbook 2nd round QBs who you take 2-3 years to develop, but desperate times mean they go #1 and 2 overall instead.
Old 09-02-2016, 10:07 AM   #691
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It was always a very poor QB class, that the Rams and Eagles deluded themselves into thinking Goff and Wentz were worthy of top 2 selections just shows the desperation level teams have for QBs. Both are textbook 2nd round QBs who you take 2-3 years to develop, but desperate times mean they go #1 and 2 overall instead.
There hasn't been a good QB class in the draft since 2012. Bridgewater and maybe Carr are the only QBs that have had moderate success in the NFL. It is a little too early to tell if Mariota and Winston will be successful long term.
Old 09-02-2016, 02:20 PM   #692
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
There hasn't been a good QB class in the draft since 2012. Bridgewater and maybe Carr are the only QBs that have had moderate success in the NFL. It is a little too early to tell if Mariota and Winston will be successful long term.
I would argue that Bridgewater, Carr, Mariota, Winston, and Bortles all started immediately and none of them looked terrible. I don't know if any of them will be the next Rogers or Brady but I expect that at least three of them will be long time starters which is pretty good for back to back drafts.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 04:08 PM   #693
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think with the Eagles it was more #### or get off the pot. They're likely somewhere between a 6-10 and 8-8 team with Bradford, which isn't ever going to next you a #1 pick. I guess they could've cut Bradford loose, gone with Chase Daniel and hoped the defense fell on its face for a 2-14 season, but I just don't think they're that bad, and I'm not entirely sold on Deshaun Watson anyways.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 04:14 PM   #694
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

As I said more than anything it's the current QB desperation teams have. Goff and Wentz being 2nd round talents didn't change the fact starting QBs are the most in demand quantity in the NFL. If the Eagles didn't trade up, someone else would have. Goff and Wentz will both sit probably all of this year and unless the Eagles and Rams are both dreadful this year forcing them into the lineup, I could see both of them sitting all of next year too. They're both projects who need time, and I actually think both fan bases recognize that. Goff is much more likely to be forced in seeing as Case Keenum is a career backup. Bradford is a mediocre starter but that should still be good enough to keep Wentz on the bench for an extended period.
Old 09-03-2016, 01:26 AM   #695
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They're both projects who need time, and I actually think both fan bases recognize that.
You'd think so but there are whole bunch of Eagles fans clamouring for them to trade Bradford to the Vikings. You know, because going 3-13 in the year you don't have a first round pick is a bulletproof strategy.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 08:40 AM   #696
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter

Minnesota Vikings are trading for Eagles' QB Sam Bradford, league sources tell ESPN.
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 08:41 AM   #697
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well their clamoring appears to have worked: Bradford has been traded to the Vikings. Amazing trade for the Eagles, staggering really, and absolute disaster for the Vikings. 1st and 4th round picks for Bradford, a guy who likely will get hurt within the first 8 weeks of the season. Even if Wentz megabusts, you're in the Watson race next year. Great for the Eagles, Vikings fans have to be crushed.
Old 09-03-2016, 08:43 AM   #698
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Philly is going for the tank job this year. A first round pick seems like a pretty high price for Bradford. The NFC East is going to be an interesting division to watch now.

Last edited by calgarygeologist; 09-03-2016 at 08:46 AM.
Old 09-03-2016, 08:48 AM   #699
Hockey
Franchise Player

Exp:

It doesn't make sense for the Vikings to give up that much for one year of Bradford, unless they think the Bridgewater injury is worse and he won't even be ready for the following season. Even then it's still too much. Can't wait to see what my friend has to say about this trade.
Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 08:51 AM   #700
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is easily the most desperate trade since the RGIII trade. And it has the same potential to spectacularly backfire. If Bradford gets hurt immediately (more likely than it should be), good chance the Vikes are in the bottom 10 and maybe even bottom 5 in the league. I know they have a new stadium, but wow this is desperate. For a QB who's never even been over .500!