Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2013, 03:32 PM   #521
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VERVE View Post
I rather have a guy who is passionate about the game and loves to be part of the team by contributing than having a player displaying the polar oppostie. As long as he keeps scoring clutch goals to win games and being a young player of 18, does it really matter if situation sometimes get lost in translation in terms of his celebration(?)

It speaks volume about his character when Krueger has him out there during OT or an Oilers empty net situation-both times he came through and at the end of the day, a win is what counts the most.
Speaks volume about his character to have him out there on a 4-3 PP in OT? My god man - his game is perfectly suited to that situation. He's out there because that's what he's good at doing.

Yakupov will be run out of Edmonton in 5 years or less when they realize that he's not a guy you win with. The club will win with guys like Eberle, RNH, and Schultz - those are the guys you build around. Yakupov will prove to be a distraction and eventually when they move him - they will take another step.

All my opinion as a guy who hasn't been a fan of Yak since before the draft.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:38 PM   #522
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post
So why punch Whitney? lol. Punch the ref if you're that upset with the call. Morris is what he is, a thug.
What I'd really like to know is, what is your stance on backup goaltenders having to wear baseball caps?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:43 PM   #523
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
I think that's my favourite thing that Fatty Morris has ever done.
Agreed. I saw it and said

"I WANT MOAR!"
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:49 PM   #524
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Because we're so nice to the Russians normally...

Look, if we're going to boo teenagers relentlessly for the way they play a game, when they come into our building and embarrass our team,
Embarrass?

They won by one goal.
moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:51 PM   #525
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
Embarrass?

They won by one goal.
It wasn't embarrassing to be down 6-1? Because it felt like it was.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:57 PM   #526
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Steam Whistle View Post
I agree this is possible. It's also possible he was taunting. You don't know if he was or wasn't tauting, none of us do. What seems likely is Morris took it as taunting.
What Morris did had nothing to do with Yakupov. Why is this difficult to comprehend? Morris punched WHITNEY because he was battling WHITNEY in front of the net, then when they scored, WHITNEY chirped him, and he lost his temper at WHITNEY.
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stang For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2013, 05:09 PM   #527
HPLovecraft
Took an arrow to the knee

Exp:

I agree, it's no big deal.

*Yakupov taunts the Flames after scoring*

Death to the infidel!
Old 01-31-2013, 05:10 PM   #528
Captain_Obvious
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
What Morris did had nothing to do with Yakupov. Why is this difficult to comprehend? Morris punched WHITNEY because he was battling WHITNEY in front of the net, then when they scored, WHITNEY chirped him, and he lost his temper at WHITNEY.
Even if that's true, Yakupov still stood there ignoring a team mate get pummeled to make a stupid face and egg team mates to hug him.

In either case it's a chump move / fail.
Captain_Obvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:11 PM   #529
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Obvious View Post
Even if that's true, Yakupov still stood there ignoring a team mate get pummeled to make a stupid face and egg team mates to hug him.

In either case it's a chump move / fail.
He actually tried to help by holding Whitney back, and then realized that isn't helping when Whitney is getting fed punches. So then he let him go.

He won the game. He couldn't have failed that much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPLovecraft View Post
I agree, it's no big deal.

*Yakupov taunts the Flames after scoring*

Death to the infidel!
I can't wait for him to taunt the flames. We're not supposed to like the oilers, and a player inciting more bad blood between the two teams can only make for a more interesting product in the ice. Lord knows Eberle wouldn't start anything, Taylor hall is as big a danger to himself as he is to the flames, and RNH understands that the quickest way serial killers get caught is by attracting attention.

Last edited by GreenLantern2814; 01-31-2013 at 05:14 PM.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:17 PM   #530
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

meh, when your team can't score 5 on 5 or win in regulation things are gonna catch up to you
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:20 PM   #531
Captain_Obvious
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
He actually tried to help by holding Whitney back, and then realized that isn't helping when Whitney is getting fed punches. So then he let him go.
Yea letting Whitney go and going back to hot dogging was the perfect play there.

No sense in getting involved and trying to help a team mate out.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:23 PM   #532
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

What were you guys doing at 19...and a half? I'll bet it wasn't competing in a foreign country under high pressure against the best players in the world. Yak is a kid learning his craft. He'll make mistakes and will learn from them. He already has. I don't see why this is such a big deal.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2013, 05:31 PM   #533
TKB
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Yea letting Whitney go and going back to hot dogging was the perfect play there.

No sense in getting involved and trying to help a team mate out.

Please stop making up nonsense in order to make this kid look like a crappy teamate. I guess whatever helps you sleep at night.
TKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:34 PM   #534
Captain_Obvious
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKB View Post
Please stop making up nonsense in order to make this kid look like a crappy teamate. I guess whatever helps you sleep at night.

How am I making anything up?

He stood there hot dogging a foot away from a team mate getting fed his lunch.

I don't even thing it's a big deal in the grand scheme of things. Other than him looking like an ass when he did that big slide I really didn't think much of it.

He's a good player, but he's a d-bag and a lot of people think so.

The only reason some of you seem to be so upset about those who think so is likely because deep down you know it's true.

Last edited by Captain_Obvious; 01-31-2013 at 05:38 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Captain_Obvious For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2013, 05:54 PM   #535
VERVE
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
Speaks volume about his character to have him out there on a 4-3 PP in OT? My god man - his game is perfectly suited to that situation. He's out there because that's what he's good at doing.

Yakupov will be run out of Edmonton in 5 years or less when they realize that he's not a guy you win with. The club will win with guys like Eberle, RNH, and Schultz - those are the guys you build around. Yakupov will prove to be a distraction and eventually when they move him - they will take another step.

All my opinion as a guy who hasn't been a fan of Yak since before the draft.
He was out there for a 4 on 3 pp OT against 'yotes and it was not a pressure cooker as when his team was down a goal with less than a minute to play (against the Kings). The coach puts him out there to score and he did so with authority. He scored clutch goals under pressure and for a rookie, that takes more than just talent alone.

I am not sure why all the hate in your post but could only guess. Pretty extreme prediction of Yak being run out of town. How is he a distraction to his teamates except help them win. I can understand other teams and their fans being frustrated by his scoring prowess at such a young age but they shouldn't mix up his passion for ego. Besides, his passion, skill, talent and creativeness is good for the game. It makes hockey exciting and more emotional-nothing wrong with that... You should relax, loosen your tie, take off your jacket and put your feet up. Stay awhile and enjoy the game over a beer.

—Richard Lewis

VERVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:56 PM   #536
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
It's really not that simple actually. I've watched the video posted in this thread a couple of times. What you are suggesting is possible, but in my estimation not likely based on what I saw.

- Morris doesn't seem to be at all concerned with the battle in front of the net and actually turns away from Whitney after the goal goes in.
- He does so to complain to the ref about a hand pass.
- He then turns around and appears to be drawn to the Edmonton celebration for some reason (I belive Yaks celebration, based on what he does later). Whitney isn't even in the celebration at that time.
- Whitney sees Morris' attention and likely Morris' coments towards the celebration, and chirps him (as you put it) and gets between Morris and the rest of the Oilers.
- Morris throws down and feeds Whitney
- Yak and the rest of the Oil stand aroun watching
- Refs begin to push Morris away, as this is happenning Morris is clearly still looking back at the Oil, yappying, then he immitates the hand jesture Yak was doing.

Nothing is conclusive either way, but based on the above, I'd bet good money Yak's celebration is what set Morris off (right or wrong), and it's certainly not as simple as you claim it is.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:12 PM   #537
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
How am I making anything up?

He stood there hot dogging a foot away from a team mate getting fed his lunch.

I don't even thing it's a big deal in the grand scheme of things. Other than him looking like an ass when he did that big slide I really didn't think much of it.

He's a good player, but he's a d-bag and a lot of people think so.

The only reason some of you seem to be so upset about those who think so is likely because deep down you know it's true.
lol priceless
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:15 PM   #538
itsmagic
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Seriously... we are at 27 frickin' pages? Of course I just added to it.

Gotta come up with a new and creative post idea... and this ain't it.
itsmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:16 PM   #539
sun
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

He and Hall seemed to have a pretty intimate moment there for a bit, whispering sweet nothings in each other's ears.
sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:26 PM   #540
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OILFAN #81 View Post
He wasn't doing a taunting gesture.

After his celebration against LA, some of his teammates (Horcoff/Belanger) felt that he should just stay in one spot rather then have to chase him across the ice so he did. He was using his hands to waive over Hall, Whitney and Hemsky to celebrate as a team. Morris was upset because he thought Whitney hand passed it to Yakupov (which in fact was a legal play anyways).
If true, this is hilarious.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post: