Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2016, 07:32 AM   #61
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post

Personally, I think it's time to move on from '######ed'. It is almost always used an insult, and I know mentally disabled people despise the word. But mentally disabled people rarely speak up for themselves, so nobody worries about upsetting them.
I think that poster used the word in a way that was meant to be sarcastic. Would you rather the poster used the word "mentally disabled" which would have been more insulting considering he would have been insinuating that an ape is smarter than a "mentally disabled" person. Grow some thicker skin as nobody is picking on the mentally disabled in this thread and this also isn't a thread about mentally disabled awareness.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2016, 07:41 AM   #62
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

There are lots of words out there for unintelligent besides "######ed."

Anyway, I'm off to tell some negroes to grow a thicker skin.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2016, 08:03 AM   #63
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I bet the zoo has a policy that if a human enters a cage with a dangerous animal, the protocol is to shoot to kill the animal as a precaution. There probably isn't much time to decide whether or not the gorilla means harm to the human or not.

Sad story. Pretty incredible a 4 year old was able to sneak in. I sure hope more details come to light as to how he got in.

How old was the gorilla that died of natural causes at the Calgary zoo?
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 08:34 AM   #64
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I bet the zoo has a policy that if a human enters a cage with a dangerous animal, the protocol is to shoot to kill the animal as a precaution. There probably isn't much time to decide whether or not the gorilla means harm to the human or not.

Sad story. Pretty incredible a 4 year old was able to sneak in. I sure hope more details come to light as to how he got in.

37 but that is pretty old. (and longer than most wild Gorilla's)
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 08:45 AM   #65
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post

Listen to the news this morning while I was getting ready for work and a Primatologist mentioned that all zoo's have that policy with all animals, because the sedation method takes 20 minutes and in that time the animal is stressed and confused and angry and defensive and will lash out.

this is a sad situation of a lot of different out of control factors. A mom looking after multiple kids, no surprise a kid that wants to get into the enclosure (And we all know that young kids will find their way into everything) a primate doing primate things.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 09:17 AM   #66
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Unfortunate for the Gorilla, always hate preventable forced hand animal deaths.

Just this passed weekend on hwy 93 up the hill from Radium there's no stopping zones as a mother grizzly and her cubs are frequenting the area. Of course, there's half a dozen cars either stopped or slowly idling along the shoulder, even witnessed a car pull a u-turn on the hwy to get a better look. But worse was the 3 individuals who felt the need to exit their car and walk towards the bears, literally 8-10 feet away and toss some hotdogs their way.

I of course reported it to the parks phone line along with their rental car license plate, however it just goes to show you how little regard some people have and unfortunately its the animal's who get eradicated for human error.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Royle9 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2016, 09:20 AM   #67
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

That's sad to see man, because at some point now because these morons fed the bears they're going to become even more bold about begging for food and either have to be forcibly moved, or probably killed when they attack somebody.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 09:38 AM   #68
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Proper descriptor? So is Negro. Perfectly proper word that was once used by most people with no animus towards blacks. And of course blacks themselves used the word Negro up until the late 60s. And yet you don't hear anyone under the age of about 80 use it today.

###### is a funny word. 15 years ago it was going the way of n*gger. It was used by teenagers, but you never heard it in a movie or anywhere else in public. Then it made a huge comeback, probably on the back of the juvenile comedy trend of Stiller, Sandler, etc. And I think people do realize it's not an especially nice or appropriate word. If you were a coach at Special Olympics, would you say "okay all you ######s, hustle up and over here and do your warm-up?"

Personally, I think it's time to move on from '######ed'. It is almost always used an insult, and I know mentally disabled people despise the word. But mentally disabled people rarely speak up for themselves, so nobody worries about upsetting them.
Most people agree it's time to move on from using the word '######ed' so I don't think you're saying anything all of us don't know already. I've stopped using it 99% of the time I would have five years ago and would never let my kids use it. I think comparing it to the n-word isn't way off base, either, but it's not quite there yet.

I like using language with a punch. Because that word is a bit taboo yet still acceptable enough, for instance, that it isn't filtered out on this forum (give it a year or so and I wouldn't be surprised if it was), I used it. I'm sure Wormius was just having a seniors moment or whatever, but his question was hilariously _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _, so I had to pull out the big guns in my reply to get my point across.

It's fine you busted me, although I think you were a bit dramatic. "Nobody worries about upsetting [mentally challenged people]"? BS. '######' went from being used by everybody and their dog five-10 years ago to being the next n-word within the next five years. The tone of your post implies you practically consider yourself a lone ranger defending mentally challenged people from the masses. I'd say the majority of people are on board with phasing that word out.

Last edited by Sliver; 05-30-2016 at 09:48 AM. Reason: sp
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 11:43 AM   #69
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Proper descriptor? So is Negro. Perfectly proper word that was once used by most people with no animus towards blacks. And of course blacks themselves used the word Negro up until the late 60s. And yet you don't hear anyone under the age of about 80 use it today.

###### is a funny word. 15 years ago it was going the way of n*gger. It was used by teenagers, but you never heard it in a movie or anywhere else in public. Then it made a huge comeback, probably on the back of the juvenile comedy trend of Stiller, Sandler, etc. And I think people do realize it's not an especially nice or appropriate word. If you were a coach at Special Olympics, would you say "okay all you ######s, hustle up and over here and do your warm-up?"

It doesn't matter what word you use because the insult is based on people's perception of the object, not the word itself, therefore what ever term you use will inevitably become the insult eventually. ######ed was actually the 'proper' non insulting term that was supposed to be better than 'touched' or moron.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 11:47 AM   #70
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
It doesn't matter what word you use because the insult is based on people's perception of the object, not the word itself, therefore what ever term you use will inevitably become the insult eventually. ######ed was actually the 'proper' non insulting term that was supposed to be better than 'touched' or moron.
True. Exactly like negro, which was the proper and non-insulting term that was supposed to be better than the alternatives. And yet we stopped using that word because black people said they didn't like it.
Old 05-30-2016, 11:52 AM   #71
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Wow, great. The CP SJW's have taken a thread about a Gorilla that was shot on a very difficult and complicated situation, and made it a debate about the word ######. Way to keep things in perspective. This is the type is stuff that is really making this forum less and less fun. Any slip of the keys, and the "Won't you think of the children??!!" crowd take over yet another thread.

We all know what he meant. And it was funny as hell, if not a little blunt.

Also sitting here curious if when I'm tuning an engine, if I now have to say I'm "Delaying spark to induce better combustion." Heaven forbid I "###### the ignition." Might trigger someone's feelings.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 12:18 PM   #72
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
Wow, great. The CP SJW's have taken a thread about a Gorilla that was shot on a very difficult and complicated situation, and made it a debate about the word ######. Way to keep things in perspective. This is the type is stuff that is really making this forum less and less fun. Any slip of the keys, and the "Won't you think of the children??!!" crowd take over yet another thread.

We all know what he meant. And it was funny as hell, if not a little blunt.

Also sitting here curious if when I'm tuning an engine, if I now have to say I'm "Delaying spark to induce better combustion." Heaven forbid I "###### the ignition." Might trigger someone's feelings.
SJW = Social Justice Warriors?

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
IliketoPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 12:41 PM   #73
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fueling issues can cause knock ######.

Fueling issues can cause knock, ######.

Only thing that makes the second sentence offensive is the comma.

Last edited by TorqueDog; 05-30-2016 at 12:44 PM.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 12:46 PM   #74
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

I honestly don't know what to think as I haven't been happy with the use of ###### in the past on CP and have let people hear about it and yet Sliver's post was just so awesome that I laughed out loud in real life, thanked his post and made another post stating how hilarious it was.

I guess it comes down to my real life feelings on being PC - You should try to be politically correct as much as possible in serious/everyday discussion, but jokes should be off limits from judgement in any way shape or form.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2016, 01:48 PM   #75
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

I'm always amazed at what people will say about a parent with nearly no information when something goes wrong. A gorilla died and that's absolutely tragic, but perhaps attempt to realize that sh*t happens and kids can be incredibly unpredictable. If you don't have a "and then I turned around and he/she was totally gone" story, then I'd be surprised. Hell, it happens so often people without kids have those stories.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2016, 02:04 PM   #76
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
I guess it comes down to my real life feelings on being PC - You should try to be politically correct as much as possible in serious/everyday discussion, but jokes should be off limits from judgement in any way shape or form.

There is nothing that adds more punch to a joke than using bad words in just the right way.

Using any taboo word in a serious/negative way? or a careless way? Should pretty much be unacceptable. But good jokes are off limits.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 02:06 PM   #77
guzzy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

maybe they should have shot the parents as well. very sad all around. Parenting fail any way you look at it.
guzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 02:06 PM   #78
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
I'm always amazed at what people will say about a parent with nearly no information when something goes wrong. A gorilla died and that's absolutely tragic, but perhaps attempt to realize that sh*t happens and kids can be incredibly unpredictable. If you don't have a "and then I turned around and he/she was totally gone" story, then I'd be surprised. Hell, it happens so often people without kids have those stories.
Parents are the worst man. The frickin' worst.
Old 05-30-2016, 02:10 PM   #79
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

CliffFletcher, CP's known Social Justice Warrior.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 02:14 PM   #80
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
CliffFletcher, CP's known Social Justice Warrior.
Hey, I own it. SJW and Proud.