Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2024, 01:01 PM   #321
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

The second LeBron retires it'll be the media going balls to the wall to get Wemby into LA or New York. MLB and NBA media actively hurting their leagues by always trying to make it about a handful of teams always makes me laugh. NFL is king for a lot of reasons, but you'd never have NFL media trying to get Mahomes to the Rams or Giants every year.
Old 05-01-2024, 02:38 PM   #322
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejays View Post
Good point. I don't think it'll be Victor, because the NBA loves guys with bravado and attitude. Giannis had his cup of tea briefly, but didn't really life himself up as that face of the game. Steph is too "old" to take the reins. So it think it's Shai. Just based on age, numbers and some flash. But he doesn't have that physical presence of Lebron, and he also doesn't have the flash of Kobe. So it's hard to say. Maybe it becomes a focus on particular teams.
Anthony Edwards probably...that narrative is already starting this playoffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
How soft is Anthony Davis?

The Lakers team is probably better off if they kept all those young players today. Typical LeBron getting his way and having young players traded for immediate help, and whining he has no help.
Maybe...but Lakers have a ring to show for it with Anthony Davis which is all that matters. Lakers probably make a move like that whether Lebron is there or not. They made or tried to make those same moves when Kobe was there too.

It's the Lakers way.

Brandon Ingram
Lonzo Ball
Josh Hart
Jaxson Hayes
Nickeil Alexander-Walker
Didi Louzada
Herb Jones
Dyson Daniels

I'm still taking Anthony Davis over that mismash of players that the Pelicans ended up with out of the deal.

Now if New Orleans actually turned the 4th overall pick into something in 2019 (Garland?) and if the 2022 and 2025 picks become something then maybe it would be better. But overall I'm taking Anthony Davis and that championship right now.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 05-01-2024 at 02:46 PM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2024, 03:24 PM   #323
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Who would be face of the league post LeBron??

That Anthony Edwards (AKA one of MJs illegitimate children lmao) kid is making a statement. But the Alien that is Webanyama should be. It's freakish how good he is for a
wet spaghetti noodle.
Old 05-01-2024, 04:49 PM   #324
flamingreen
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Does Darvin Ham even know how to coach basketball?

https://twitter.com/user/status/1785290354058727566
flamingreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 05:31 PM   #325
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Giannis out, Kawai out, Lillard missed most of the series. What's the point of bringing in these big names when they never play?
trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 06:01 PM   #326
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gotta say hearing these stories about Sixers management calling fans to beg them to show up and be loud tonight, about how they bought 2000 tickets to give away to Philly first responders...pretty embarrassing stuff. And whats the stop those first responders from taking the free tickets and just selling them to Knicks fans anyway? If they were smart that's what they'd do. But yeah a pretty sad look, although why this game is tipping off at 9PM EDT is insane.
Old 05-02-2024, 06:44 PM   #327
Kasi
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Lakers won a title and got to a conference championship. You take that trade any day. The issue is with trading for players who don’t move the needle. But even trading for guys like Durant is not working these days. But Lillard and Beal were just dumb moves to make.
Kasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 07:25 PM   #328
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Gotta say hearing these stories about Sixers management calling fans to beg them to show up and be loud tonight, about how they bought 2000 tickets to give away to Philly first responders...pretty embarrassing stuff. And whats the stop those first responders from taking the free tickets and just selling them to Knicks fans anyway? If they were smart that's what they'd do. But yeah a pretty sad look, although why this game is tipping off at 9PM EDT is insane.

For an Eastern Standard Time game 9pm is very odd. I've thought years ago though, as a novelty game on a Friday or Saturday it would be fun to have a 10pm start game here or there (or somewhere thereof).
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 07:57 PM   #329
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Knicks trying to blow a 22 point lead in a half, impressive choke that offers the Sixers the chance to blow a 20 point lead in the second half. But yeah this years East might be the worst conference I can ever remember, Celtics should be -5000 favorites to win it.
Old 05-02-2024, 09:46 PM   #330
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

Bye bye Sixers. Huge game by Brunson. Hart really came up big in key moments in the series
Old 05-02-2024, 09:47 PM   #331
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

That was a fun, and chaotic, series. Sixers have a ton of cap space and are finally free of the Harris disaster, so it'll be interesting to see what they do this offseason.
Old 05-02-2024, 10:29 PM   #332
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wish there was a way to eliminate the intentional fouls near the end of games at times.

Feel like that game would have been more fun of an ending if once the Knicks got up by 3 they couldn't just foul to send the Sixers to the line to shoot 2.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2024, 07:01 AM   #333
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

It was hilarious seeing the Knicks go from getting that all wrong in Game 5 to fouling way too quickly in Game 6, at least for the first one. But I can't get behind eliminating fouling up three as a strategy, it's such a three point centric league now that you'd be giving a big advantage to the trailing team. But since it is such a three point centric league teams should just start practicing taking half court shots. Call a timeout and run a set to get a catch and shoot 47 footer. I believe Maxey's make in Game 5 was a 37 footer.
Old 05-03-2024, 12:29 PM   #334
Kasi
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Ham predictability got fired. Pretty bad coach that forced them into a bad playoff seed and matchup. They should have been in the 4-6 range.
Old 05-03-2024, 01:15 PM   #335
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasi View Post
Ham predictability got fired. Pretty bad coach that forced them into a bad playoff seed and matchup. They should have been in the 4-6 range.
He is not a great coach, but as Barkley said the roster is poor and LeBron is a terrible leader. He quit on a lot of plays all season. They have been in the same range his whole time as a Laker.

LeBron is a coach killer.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 01:54 PM   #336
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

LeCoachKiller is on to his 10th coach now. A new coach every other year.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 02:05 PM   #337
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
I wish there was a way to eliminate the intentional fouls near the end of games at times.

Feel like that game would have been more fun of an ending if once the Knicks got up by 3 they couldn't just foul to send the Sixers to the line to shoot 2.
Elam ending solves this (with a certain amount of time into the fourth quarter (10 minutes, probably), the game clock is turned off and a target score of leading team + 8 points is introduced). I normally hate the idea of different rules in a certain part of the game, but this so nicely fixes something that is extremely broken in the current NBA game. Fouling (except when fouling a bad freethrow shooter) is never the right strategy under the elam ending, and no matter what the deficit is, there's always a chance a trailing team goes on an insane run to come from behind and win the game.

I doubt think the NBA ever actually adopts it because they don't deeply care that the end of a close game slows down to a crawl, because the stoppages are better for advertising. However, they have tested it in the g-league for two straight years (as well as the all-star game, which sucks as a test environment because the elam ending assumes that teams are highly motivated to win). So there's at least *some* chance it gets implemented.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 02:06 PM   #338
Kasi
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

He’s almost forty. Most offensive skill players when they hit 30 stop playing defence. It’s not a James thing it’s a conserving your energy thing. I agree the roster is bad and James have some blame for pushing for Westbrook but he wasn’t the one pulling the deals. Lakers management (Pelinka) needs to accept responsibility for making bad personal decisions.
Old 05-03-2024, 03:20 PM   #339
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by octothorp View Post
Elam ending solves this (with a certain amount of time into the fourth quarter (10 minutes, probably), the game clock is turned off and a target score of leading team + 8 points is introduced). I normally hate the idea of different rules in a certain part of the game, but this so nicely fixes something that is extremely broken in the current NBA game. Fouling (except when fouling a bad freethrow shooter) is never the right strategy under the elam ending, and no matter what the deficit is, there's always a chance a trailing team goes on an insane run to come from behind and win the game.

I doubt think the NBA ever actually adopts it because they don't deeply care that the end of a close game slows down to a crawl, because the stoppages are better for advertising. However, they have tested it in the g-league for two straight years (as well as the all-star game, which sucks as a test environment because the elam ending assumes that teams are highly motivated to win). So there's at least *some* chance it gets implemented.
But then why even play the first three quarters if the goal is essentially to try and manufacture endings? It works in the All-Star game cause no one cares until the fourth, when the games always tended to get more competitive. Every system is going to be flawed, helping the losing team seems very backwards. And as best I can tell this isn't even really an issue? I don't see a media outcry or anything, or the fans demanding it. Ironically, the only media outcry related to this recently was the Knicks not fouling Maxey and making that strategic error. Honestly seems like much ado about nothing.
Old 05-04-2024, 09:30 AM   #340
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

This Minny-Denver series is going to be awesome.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post: