Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

View Poll Results: Should the Flames bring back Treliving
Yes 259 38.89%
No 17 2.55%
This is so obviously yes it shouldn't be a poll question 390 58.56%
Voters: 666. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 03:00 PM   #321
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I should re-itterate that the rumour comes from a source OUTSIDE the Flames organisation—someone who circulates in high levels of hockey, but there is no certain connection between him/her and the information provided by daredevil.

Also, you are delusional if you believe that anything you or I or other nameless faceless schmucks say on the internet has any effect whatsoever on Treliving's reputation or his ability to do his job. Nobody who matters cares what we think or believe.
I would hope that rumours on Internet boards would not influence things, but it wouldn't be the first or last time that a blogger or media type has taken information from a fan site and gave it legs
Old 04-22-2017, 09:41 AM   #322
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukkudo View Post
Would we be okay with Burke taking Kings spot, Tre taking Burkes spot, and Mahoney taking Tre spot? Im not a fan of Conroy being GM, or you bring Lombardi on board.
Nope. I like Tre as GM and want to see what he can build but really he has done nothing to warrant a promotion. That structure seems entirely excessive and duplicative IMO.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:06 AM   #323
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

on 960 Friedman says that a guy very close to Treliving told Friedman that as long as the Flames offer to Treliving is market value, Treliving will be back in Calgary.

In other words the only way Treliving isn't back if if the Flames lowball him.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2017, 08:07 AM   #324
BigT112
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
on 960 Friedman says that a guy very close to Treliving told Friedman that as long as the Flames offer to Treliving is market value, Treliving will be back in Calgary.

So this should be easy. Emphasis on should.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:52 AM   #325
Five-hole
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can say with some degree of certainty that if Tre is let go, it may be the last straw for me.

It's real tough to be a Flames fan right now. We've won 4 playoff rounds in 27 years. The league and/or the refs appear to hate us, and we never get the benefit of the doubt, ever. EVER. We've never won a draft lottery (and hopefully won't have the chance to for a long time). The bozos up north have the best hockey player in a generation fall into their laps and a new building. We may never get a new building because of the ridiculous small-minded NIMBY Calgary mindset.

Quite frankly the NHL's approach to video review and discipline/suspension are farcical. I love hockey, but the NHL is a joke. It's unlikely the slashing epidemic gets dealt with and our best player appears to not want to try to play through that very much.

So my fandom is hanging by a thread.

If this organization goes through another tumultuous change in management and coaching, I'm pretty sure I'm done.

/end rant
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Five-hole For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2017, 08:58 AM   #326
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Treliving negotiating in public for that cheddar.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:03 AM   #327
RichKlit
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I don't know if it's just me getting older and finding other things to invest my time in but like some have said I'm hanging in by a thread as a fan of the flames and the NHL in general. Whether it be how historically bad we have been as an orginization or the precieved hate from the refs and the league or the supposed awful management ownership group meddling or the general bad luck that seems to follow the team I just don't care anymore. I had season tickets which I cancelled a few years back, I used to watch every game I don't anymore and I didn't even really get upset this year when the ducks beat us, I felt like I knew that's what would happen. Maybe just sour grapes I don't know but everything has just been building up. This final KK story may be the last straw. It's becoming embarrassing to the team and IMO to the fans or at least to me. Anyways sorry for the rant.
The Following User Says Thank You to RichKlit For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2017, 09:08 AM   #328
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Treliving negotiating in public for that cheddar.
Flames have no one to blame but themselves for looking like a 2nd rate organization. Should have locked him up last summer like any other rational team. It's always something with these guys.
The Following User Says Thank You to CaramonLS For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2017, 09:14 AM   #329
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rumors of King meddling in hockey ops have been circulating for very many years, so it isn't a surprise that re-surface as potentially a factor holding up the new contract.

This, along with the botched job with the new arena, shows that it might be time for Ken King to be relieved of his duties.
The Following User Says Thank You to agulati For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2017, 09:26 AM   #330
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I guess it's going to depend on how high of an opinion Treliving has of himself. If he thinks he is a top GM, then I would be tempted to see what Lombardi wants to come to Calgary.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:31 AM   #331
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Treliving is a much better GM than Lombardi.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:35 AM   #332
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaramonLS View Post
Flames have no one to blame but themselves for looking like a 2nd rate organization. Should have locked him up last summer like any other rational team. It's always something with these guys.
No one to blame at all because this is BS. The flames don't look second rate, never have.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2017, 09:38 AM   #333
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Treliving is a much better GM than Lombardi.
That is debatable.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:44 AM   #334
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I guess it's going to depend on how high of an opinion Treliving has of himself. If he thinks he is a top GM, then I would be tempted to see what Lombardi wants to come to Calgary.
Lombardi could potentially be in charge of escaping bad contracts through ridiculous termination attempts.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:01 AM   #335
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
Does it piss you off because it's not true?

Bishop was traded a few days before the deadline. It isn't like it was the Lightning only had 20 left to fax the trade in. So the deadline threat is BS

Yzerman also came out and said there were no other offers on the table, or not better offers.

I have no doubt the Flames kicked tires, but this is utter bullshi-

Based on how Treliving negotiates, I can't see this rumour coming from him. It isn't his style to negotiate publically, and letting rumous like this spread are inconsistent with his approach. Further, a rumour like this makes his job more difficult anyways as it affects the reputation of the team.

So while I think you should be pissed off, I don't think it should be at King, it should instead be because of a rumour that has a lot of questionable details.
On top of this, Brian Burke spoke just after the trade deadline about goalies. He stated that the Flames did in fact kick tires on a few goalies, but with Elliott doing so well, they basically stopped doing so.

I won't say that Daredevil is making anything up - in fact, I bet that is exactly what he heard from his legitimate source. It is just a fact that sources are often wrong as well. Given how little Bishop went for, and Yzerman stating that it was the best offer and that Bishop didn't generate much interest, I would believe Burke on this one this time.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:06 AM   #336
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
No one to blame at all because this is BS. The flames don't look second rate, never have.
Eric D was on the fan last week reminiscing about how the Flames were the laughing stock of the league with Feaster as their GM and how Treliving has brought them back to respectability.

This organization has historically had some problems - it is revisionist to think otherwise.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:22 AM   #337
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaramonLS View Post
Eric D was on the fan last week reminiscing about how the Flames were the laughing stock of the league with Feaster as their GM and how Treliving has brought them back to respectability.

This organization has historically had some problems - it is revisionist to think otherwise.
Even in Sutter's late years the Flames were kind of a laughing stock. The common denominator is an ownership group (or specific owner) and King. King got moved upstairs and hockey men came in to run things from the President down and things have moved back to respectability, until now that is when ownership and King get involved again deciding the fate of the GM.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:27 AM   #338
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm not over the moon with him as some others are here, but I do think he's done a decent enough job, so I said yes. I just get this feeling that we'll never be Stanley Cup contenders with him building the team. I sure hope I'm proven wrong, though.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:37 AM   #339
Five-hole
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post
I'm not over the moon with him as some others are here, but I do think he's done a decent enough job, so I said yes. I just get this feeling that we'll never be Stanley Cup contenders with him building the team. I sure hope I'm proven wrong, though.
Any particular reason, or just because?
Old 04-24-2017, 11:15 AM   #340
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-hole View Post
Any particular reason, or just because?
He hasn't been perfect by any means. I like that he's a tireless worker and all but this team still isn't amongst the top drafting teams in the NHL and he's been hit and miss in free agency. I feel he hasn't done anything crippling and have been willing to give him the benefit of the doubt in that he's still a first time NHL GM and will learn from mistakes. Still though I would say his work has been just good not great but acknowledge he can grow into being a better GM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread