Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2017, 10:14 AM   #41
Ace
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mony View Post
Thanks! Nothing is impossible in sports. Try telling the 2013-14 LA Kings they should've just thrown in the towel after going down 3-0 versus the Sharks. They'll just point to their Cup ring please and thanks.
GG should be showing this video today.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:18 AM   #42
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh I'm still very excited about the future. We jumped from 5th worst in the league last year to a playoff spot with a young roster, better times are coming. Still some holes obviously, but I like our young core. A series full of excruciating games against the Ducks in 2017 doesn't change that, it was just a worst case scenario opponent to get, and a crappy way to end a year full of growth.

Hopefully we can all still recognize the growth and very promising near future after yet another probable excruciating finish against the Ducks still on the horizon this week..
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:20 AM   #43
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'l always be a Flames' fan through think and thin. Even though I've been angry after the last 3 losses, I'll still watch and hope for the best. I wasn't even expecting to make the playoffs this season. So this is still gravy to me somewhat. It's just that losing to the Ducks makes things so much worse given the historical beatings we take from them.

The gap as a whole has closed vs the Ducks. I honestly think playing literally any other team in the NHL would have given better results. But some teams just don't match up well against others, no matter where they are in the standings. Unfortuantely, the Ducks are our kryptonite and probably forever will be.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:21 AM   #44
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I choose to believe:

(one swear word)

NSFW!
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:24 AM   #45
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

The highs and lows of being a sports fan are something else.

Been through enough of the highs to know the lows are worth it, worth waiting for the eventual success and victorious moments that are coming. But it can be a really hard pill to swallow to accept and deal with an outcome like last night's.

There will be some great moments with this team to come that will make this all seem like a bump in the road.

So stick with it.
Jiggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiggy_12 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2017, 10:37 AM   #46
Scary Eloranta
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Sorry I'm not sold on this group. They're a pretty decent regular season team and Johnny is awesome in 4 on 4 OT but they aren't built for the playoffs where you need grit, goaltending and players who can put the team on their backs. This current group just seems to crater when faced with adversity. What's especially depressing is how Edmonton and Toronto have passed us and are waving at the Flames in their rear view mirrors. We're not even close! So, what are the next steps? Suck for ten years and hope you finally get that generational player like McDick, Crosby or Matthews? Do we really stick with what we have now?
Scary Eloranta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:41 AM   #47
Mony
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary Eloranta View Post
Sorry I'm not sold on this group. They're a pretty decent regular season team and Johnny is awesome in 4 on 4 OT but they aren't built for the playoffs where you need grit, goaltending and players who can put the team on their backs. This current group just seems to crater when faced with adversity. What's especially depressing is how Edmonton and Toronto have passed us and are waving at the Flames in their rear view mirrors. We're not even close! So, what are the next steps? Suck for ten years and hope you finally get that generational player like McDick, Crosby or Matthews? Do we really stick with what we have now?
It's okay to have doubts, it's even reasonable and natural to call into question what we may have, but remembering that they are young and have plenty of growth between the ears and in their skill is a good thing to keep in mind. Patience is hard to find but there isn't anything else as a fan that you can do.

Also, I don't think you need a generational talent to win in this league. I think depth reigns above all - we know this group is capable and if they aren't capable yet, they could become capable. Depth will always be important, so keep drafting smart and making the right moves.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:42 AM   #48
robaur
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Shall I get off your lawn now?

Is your horse higher than Nate Thompson's stick was?
you're just a keyboard warrior. i've learnt that pretty quickly.
robaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:43 AM   #49
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBates View Post
Kid literally opens the thread noting that cheering the Flames and belonging to the CP community help him or her battle through suicidal thoughts and provide refuge for others battling through loss of family members etc. and you come back with 'it means nothing.'

Maybe to you, but otherwise you are clearly wrong. And even if you were right, sometimes you can just keep thoughts to yourself.
I think he's saying everyone needs some perspective.

Nothing wrong with that.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:47 AM   #50
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Calgary Flames / Vegas Golden Knights / Calgary Stampeders / Carolina Panthers / Chelsea FC / Aston Villa FC / Toronto Raptors / Orlando Magic / Toronto Blue Jays / Oakland Athletics / Calgary Inferno
You support a lot of teams.
Can you rank them all in order please.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:48 AM   #51
Nammer403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ill be there at the end of the day win or lose.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:52 AM   #52
Scary Eloranta
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
It's okay to have doubts, it's even reasonable and natural to call into question what we may have, but remembering that they are young and have plenty of growth between the ears and in their skill is a good thing to keep in mind. Patience is hard to find but there isn't anything else as a fan that you can do.

Also, I don't think you need a generational talent to win in this league. I think depth reigns above all - we know this group is capable and if they aren't capable yet, they could become capable. Depth will always be important, so keep drafting smart and making the right moves.
I don't think anyone could argue that depth is key - but in today's NHL it's really tough to maintain and replenish that depth. If you have a generational player, it seems like it's easier to refresh like Pittsburgh has done.
Scary Eloranta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 11:02 AM   #53
Mony
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
You support a lot of teams.
Can you rank them all in order please.
bahaha

Flames
Stamps
Panthers
Chelsea
Inferno - women's hockey is underrated.
Knights will be up there sometime soon. They'll be easy points for a couple years but a Vegas expansion is very interesting to me.

Only just getting into basketball, but I've decided Toronto and Orlando because I like sadness.
Also just getting into baseball, Toronto and Oakland in that order. A's are pretty sad but I love a good underdog. I live a pretty sad sports life because when my teams are dominant they also typically falter for whatever reason (2015 Panthers were favorites in the big game, Stamps last year were crazy, Inferno were top team in the CWHL this season and they couldn't close out) - but I won't be giving up on any of them.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:58 AM   #54
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanda View Post
Really because last nights home game started at 8 pm, add in the video, entrance and anthems and it was like a 8:15 start on a Monday night. Thats not a time zone thing.
It started at about 11:45 here in Newfoundland, and ended about 2:45am. The 5am alarm (particularly considering it took a long time to settle down after that mess) was definitely a time zone thing.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2017, 04:20 PM   #55
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe that's my problem. I have only one team that I follow. Blindly. To the edge of the abyss. And over. Death take me now. Make it end.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Manhattanboy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2017, 04:20 PM   #56
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robaur View Post
It's called 'defending one's self'. I've become pretty good at it, thanks. And for the record, you were the one who told me to 'shut up', so who's the real aggressor here?

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:30 PM   #57
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Old 04-18-2017, 09:14 PM   #58
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Oh papa robaur, your so learned

Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2017, 10:02 PM   #59
ASP#26525
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
It started at about 11:45 here in Newfoundland, and ended about 2:45am. The 5am alarm (particularly considering it took a long time to settle down after that mess) was definitely a time zone thing.
Heyyyyy, I'm in Newfoundland too It was a late start to be sure, and it's no wonder there aren't many Flames fans out here, heh. Luckily I work nightshifts half the time and can watch a large part of the games at work. I have to get up at 5am as well for my dayshifts, so either I am really tired or I watch the games delayed.
ASP#26525 is offline   Reply With Quote