Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2017, 02:00 AM   #21
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

I learned back in 2004 that this is only sports and there is no point getting too high or too low based on how the Flames do. Although I'm feeling all sorts of negative emotions right now after a good nights sleep I'll be over it. I still love the team and although I think the season is pretty much done I will still be cheering hard in game 4 and hoping for a historic comeback.
Old 04-18-2017, 02:13 AM   #22
fire_starter
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thanks for the positive vibes Mony.

Still love this team no matter what and I know they will come out stronger and hungrier next year. There will be a lot of unfinished business with the ducks that's for sure.

As always, Go Flames.
Old 04-18-2017, 02:14 AM   #23
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robaur View Post
holy ####. shut up.
Shall I get off your lawn now?

Is your horse higher than Nate Thompson's stick was?

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 04:04 AM   #24
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

We went up against a team that was one of the NHLs best in the final 15 games, riding a hot streak, AND a team that has had our number forever. In my heart I hoped for a 7 game series and somehow to manage to beat them, but always felt we'd be lucky to take them to 5 games.

This team has a lot of positives to take from this season, just so frustrating we had to get Anaheim in the first round, it would have been so much more fun going up against Edmonton, San Jose or Chicago.
Old 04-18-2017, 05:02 AM   #25
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robaur View Post
why dont u spend 10 grand a season on the team and then get treated to that garbage.

so FFS....let ppl be pissed. please. its not wrong.

i like how teenagers who have no real dollars spent have a right to speak from such a high horse. please save it for the offseason. not tonight.
There is already a dozen threads dumping on the Flames, and not unjustified.
It's OK to have one positive thread, friend.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2017, 06:13 AM   #26
SkunkyJosh
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm so annoyed by these type of threasd every year about "be patient" and "be positive". Looks like for some of you, just making the playoff is "good enough". Not for me.
SkunkyJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SkunkyJosh For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2017, 06:37 AM   #27
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

The reality is the Flames have been the better team. They deserve a better fate. There is an old adage that says you have to learn to lose before you learn to win. This team is going through that right now. This is for the long term good. The young core needed to go through this. Frankly, this team was not built to win this season. Still too many dead weight players who don't bring much to the table. This team won't win until they rid themselves of Wideman, Stajan, Engelland, and Bouma. They need to make some tough decisions on players they consider character guys. Are those guys Veersteg, Brouwer, Chaisson, and Bartkowski? I don't know.

I see some interesting options going forward. I think they have found a good 4th defenseman in Stone. I think they have some good flexibility in the roster over the next two season. Maybe they will be able to take advantage of the expansion draft and shake a couple players loose from other teams that will make a difference. They have some intriguing players coming up. I hope the Flames follow the trend around the league and go with their youth. I look forward to watching the moves made between now and training camp. I'm hoping that whoever the GM is comes in and goes with youthful enthusiasm over grizzled veterans.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 07:28 AM   #28
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Flames mean a lot to many people for different reasons.

I'm thankful to have all of you all year round (to suffer together)

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2017, 08:06 AM   #29
Yanda
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I for one am going to be less invested in the Flames next year because the Playoff game times literally ruined the experience for me. Why be financially and emotionally invested in the team for them to get scheduled at 8 pm on a weekday. I see no reason to follow the team all season long so I can watch the 1st period of the playoffs. The scheduling is an absolute joke, and im not going to spend my money on something all year long to miss the playoff games.
Yanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:43 AM   #30
SofaProfessor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanda View Post
I for one am going to be less invested in the Flames next year because the Playoff game times literally ruined the experience for me. Why be financially and emotionally invested in the team for them to get scheduled at 8 pm on a weekday. I see no reason to follow the team all season long so I can watch the 1st period of the playoffs. The scheduling is an absolute joke, and im not going to spend my money on something all year long to miss the playoff games.
I think your issue is with time zones rather than the Flames.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:48 AM   #31
Backlunds_socks
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Since I'm in it for fun I think I'll try to change allegiances. Might as well back a winner?
Backlunds_socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:58 AM   #32
Yanda
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SofaProfessor View Post
I think your issue is with time zones rather than the Flames.
Really because last nights home game started at 8 pm, add in the video, entrance and anthems and it was like a 8:15 start on a Monday night. Thats not a time zone thing.
Yanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:59 AM   #33
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backlunds_socks View Post
Since I'm in it for fun I think I'll try to change allegiances. Might as well back a winner?
sure but when the Flames become winners you can't switch back.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2017, 08:59 AM   #34
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Yep, not really all that mad right now. Frustrated and disappointed, sure. But not mad. This team is young and this is likely just one of a number of post season appearances coming our way. I'm excited to see what adjustments are made in the off season.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:00 AM   #35
Backlunds_socks
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
sure but when the Flames become winners you can't switch back.
Sure I can, I just gotta give them money somehow right?
Old 04-18-2017, 09:09 AM   #36
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great post Mony, it's good to keep things in perspective. As far as I know, no one died directly as a result of the game, or lost their house or family.

To me, this is just a game. I went through the nights of not being able to sleep because I was frustrated at the direction the Flames were going. It wasn't good for me. I also went through the best highs this game can bring back in the 2004 run.

Remember, things could be worse this year, especially given how poor the club started the year. Also remember that the West leading Blackhawks are down 3-0 as well.

Wednesday is another game. In October there will be another season. Enjoy the ride.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2017, 09:10 AM   #37
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

It's disappointing that some posters can't use one of the 6 other threads where people are absolutely dumping on the Flames and the NHL right now.

Thanks Mony, and Scorp, for respresenting those of us who are in the early twenties/teens bracket and representing them well. Sport is entertainment, the NHL exists for people to have an option to have fun. It's natural to fall in love with a team and have that fandom mean something special (community like the one here, a way of coping with 'real' life, etc) but as soon as it stops being fun then save yourself the trouble and stop. Really, who needs something intended to be fun and entertaining to be a constant negative force in their lives?

It's natural to be disappointed. I was disappointed last night, but you just move on and hope for something better next time. At the end of the day Game 3 was an incredibly fun hockey game to watch with a lot of drama. Our guys didn't come out with it, but that's how it goes sometimes. Perspective is important, as there are a ton of positives with this team and plenty of reasons to smile after that loss:

- Monahan has been a beast
- Playoff Bennett is so fun to watch
- Bieksa getting smashed (come on, who doesn't love that?)
- Brouwer might not be terrible!?
- Tkachuk, as a teenager, is completely holding his own
- Ferland has a better death stare than Zac "dumbfounded look confused as a death stare" Kassian
- Dougie played way better after having a rough game the night before
- Versteeg has been an awesome veteran, the exact type of guy you need to go deep when we're ready
- The constant cheap shots on Kesler
- Great performance by the power play

And that's just off the top of my head. It was a fun game to watch. The outcome was not fun, but up until that moment in overtime it sure was.

Personally, I still think we have a shot. I don't care what the likelihood says, we have a shot. We outplayed the Ducks in each of the last two games and we WILL win in the Honda Center. It's just a matter of time, so let's do it in Game 5 & 7!

But regardless of the result, there is a lot to be excited about for next season and beyond.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2017, 09:21 AM   #38
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fans are allowed to be pissed, especially STHs. That's a lot of dough to spend year in and year out without playoff wins.

Fans are also allowed to see silver linings and positives during tough times. Sports is entertainment, but it can be so much more. Don't any of you have childhood memories of listening to Bob Cole or even Dick Irving call games while watching with your dad or grandad? FFS, the OP says the Flames and C of Red helped him through suicidal thoughts. Let him be positive.

Maybe you are a fan who has spent thousands on the Flames and you are pissed. Doesn't give you the right to talk down to the kid who sees some positives out of this.

This is coming from a fan who has spent thousands on the Flames.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2017, 10:09 AM   #39
HockeyPuck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Fans are allowed to be pissed, especially STHs. That's a lot of dough to spend year in and year out without playoff wins.

Fans are also allowed to see silver linings and positives during tough times. Sports is entertainment, but it can be so much more. Don't any of you have childhood memories of listening to Bob Cole or even Dick Irving call games while watching with your dad or grandad? FFS, the OP says the Flames and C of Red helped him through suicidal thoughts. Let him be positive.

Maybe you are a fan who has spent thousands on the Flames and you are pissed. Doesn't give you the right to talk down to the kid who sees some positives out of this.

This is coming from a fan who has spent thousands on the Flames.
Don't cha know? There are 2 types of fans....
Old 04-18-2017, 10:10 AM   #40
Backlunds_socks
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Shall I get off your lawn now?

Is your horse higher than Nate Thompson's stick was?

I like your wit.