Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-16-2017, 12:37 AM   #1
Bingo
Owner

Exp:
Default Ducks 3 Flames 2 (Ducks lead series 2-0)

http://www.calgarypuck.com/2017/04/g...-3-flames-2-4/

What was Dougie Hamilton thinking?

Two straight very good road games for the Flames but they find a way to lose it.

Team just not looking mentally ready to win a playoff series yet.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2017, 12:42 AM   #2
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Very succinct write up, the Flames may have the skill to play with Anaheim but they don't have the mental fortitude to beat them. I've lost count on how many times I've heard that if the Flames just "play their game" they can beat the Ducks, but they always succumb to the stupid antics that play right into Anaheim's favor
Hemi-Cuda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 12:43 AM   #3
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Flames were far from perfect, but the Ducks weren't really any better.

Just a couple of bounces the other way and we're up 2-0.

So frustrating.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 12:54 AM   #4
josef
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
black cats are just darker than brown ones
and now i can wipe up my coffee - thanx ;-)

and i think tj brodie should get honourable mention as a goat for his stupid penalty
The Following User Says Thank You to josef For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2017, 01:02 AM   #5
Duffalufagus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The Ducks are icing a borderline AHL D right now. It doesn't get any easier. The worst part is the Coil will pound them next round
Duffalufagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Duffalufagus For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2017, 01:07 AM   #6
atb
First Line Centre

Exp:

This has been a really painful series to watch. All that talk about how the Ducks big and heavy game might be too much for the Flames hasn't been seen at all. Instead it's been the Flames who have carried the play, but have thrown away their opportunities for a win through poor discipline and decision making. It would have been easier to watch if the Ducks had been beating us by being more skilled.

Unfortunately top teams just don't make the mistakes the Flames have made. That line change, poor discipline, soft goals (Elliott has been great but those were killer in this game). These mistakes are too hard to overcome in the playoffs where the margin for error is so small. I don't know if it's mental toughness, maturity, or what. I do expect to see a different and more confident team at home. A couple solid wins would be a big reset on the series.
atb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to atb For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2017, 01:09 AM   #7
nieuwy-89
First Line Centre

Exp:

Very balanced and measured Game Takes as always. I just posted similar thoughts in the PGT. There really is something to this Honda Centre "curse". The lack of puck luck in 29 straight games is just extraordinary.

Wondering what your thoughts are for lineup changes in Game 3. Down 0-2 I don't think you can ice the same lineup. Personally I'd swap out Bouma for Hathaway and try to double shift Johnny with some favourable matchup situations on home ice.
nieuwy-89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 01:22 AM   #8
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

If that is the best the Ducks can offer I don't see them going very far in these playoffs.
Old 04-16-2017, 01:30 AM   #9
Duffalufagus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
If that is the best the Ducks can offer I don't see them going very far in these playoffs.
I know. It kills me that the oilers will pound them. I am super nervous the oil could win the west. I think I'd favour them actually given that the hawks are putrid.

And about that. We would have beat the hawks. So I blame the preds for tanking the jets game!!
Duffalufagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Duffalufagus For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2017, 01:40 AM   #10
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

It was in! 2.0
Old 04-16-2017, 07:30 AM   #11
chummer
Franchise Player

Exp:

This series is far from over. Still can't believe all the mental miscues, clean those up and we have a chance.

Still think they can win in Anaheim. I remember in 04 all the talk how the Flames hadn't won a playoff series since winning the Cup, and who can forget the call from Cuthbert about ending the Cup curse.

Hope we hear the same from Ball in game 7.
chummer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chummer For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2017, 07:38 AM   #12
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think the flames finishing and the reffing was more to blame in game 2. That hamilton call was marginal and the refs could have called 10 penalties like that throughout the game. Easily could have been let go or combined with a perry interference call.

Nhl reffing is subjective outside of high sticking and the flames either don't play that game with the refs very well or still have the wideman effect haunting them. They are continually given a couple bad penalty calls every night the last year and in a series of inches I think its making the difference right now.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Matty81 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2017, 07:40 AM   #13
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's WWE style officiating
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 07:55 AM   #14
St. Pats
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

All third period long I was waiting for the inevitable. The usual gaffe by one of the dmen or the PP against or another gift from the goalie. They didn't look like they were going to win it. They had the momentum in the 2nd but the third period I thought they played too cautious. They are playing a veteran team that finds ways to win close games.

They need to take it to them from the opening whistle and not give them a chance to pull out the late victories.
St. Pats is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to St. Pats For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2017, 08:29 AM   #15
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah this series has been excruciating to watch, as expected going in..god I hate the Ducks. The most frustrating part lately is, unlike '15, we can clearly hang with them now and deserved a split at the least, but something weird or dumb always, always, always happens, and did again.

Game 1 I shook off pretty good, but this one stung. I find it rather embarrassing we were the only Canadian team who couldn't pull out a W yesterday, especially when it was there for the taking in the 3rd as we carried the play. So frustrating seeing Ottawa & Montreal pulling games out of the fire in the final minute, Toronto getting OT heroics, meanwhile for us it's just the same old frustration choking up a game in Anaheim...just blech. This series just sucks, as expected. Worst draw we could've got.

After all that, now with it switching to the Dome, they could turn this series around quickly. They just need to stop with all the brain farts in a hurry; something I'm not sure this team is mature enough yet to do against the Ducks.

Last edited by Sainters7; 04-16-2017 at 08:45 AM.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2017, 08:53 AM   #16
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

curse or no curse playing against a team missing 2 out of their top 3 d-men should be a clear advantage and opportunity for the Flames.

Hamilton is supposed to be the Flames equivalent to Lindholm.

The Flames that are playing well above their pay grade Ferland 11:19, Bennett 11:08 and Versteeg 12:18 are not getting any extra ice time.

Backlund has been the Flames best forward,

Gaudreau is not causing panic for the Ducks. He invites being slashed and pushed around as he clearly is being impacted by it.

Last edited by ricardodw; 04-16-2017 at 08:57 AM.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 10:04 AM   #17
Bend it like Bourgeois
Franchise Player

Exp:

Harsh on Hamilton IMO

Penalties like that are random, at best. Perry ran into him while he tried to get back in the play, which was surely no accident. There was no puck there, he just wanted to slow Hamilton down. An arm drape here, a stick across Hamilton there, and tada 2 mins.

Hamilton's only options there are engage with Perry or dive and hope for a call. He was screwed either way.
Bend it like Bourgeois is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bend it like Bourgeois For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2017, 10:28 AM   #18
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames are playing the Ducks hard and close to a sawoff. But I agree with other posters, they most certainly have not been the "better team". It is a fine line between winning and losing in playoff hockey and Flames have been on wrong side of that line due to some bad mental breakdowns.

The Ducks have to be happy with the playing of their young D, who haven't really cost them at all.

The Flames have spent alot of $'s on locker room presence and leadership, so I hope we see some poise start to emerge.

Winning game 3 is a must obviously,. Flames should be the more desperate team by far on Monday so I'm hopeful for a win. But they're going to have to win a close game once or twice in this series to have any chance.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 11:35 AM   #19
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bend it like Bourgeois View Post
Harsh on Hamilton IMO

Penalties like that are random, at best. Perry ran into him while he tried to get back in the play, which was surely no accident. There was no puck there, he just wanted to slow Hamilton down. An arm drape here, a stick across Hamilton there, and tada 2 mins.

Hamilton's only options there are engage with Perry or dive and hope for a call. He was screwed either way.
You are saying a lot about Hamilton and how he is regarded around the league. Who can you annoy and cause to lose focus and maybe get to take a bone-head retaliation penalty?

Perry does the same thing 5-6 times a game and someone like Gio just expects it and skates through it. Perry targeted Hamilton.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 11:39 AM   #20
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hey look who's back!
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post: