Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2017, 09:34 AM   #981
Benched
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Benched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 10:19 AM   #982
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I agree but the NHL is the premier hockey league of the world. Other professional leagues do invest a lot into educating and critiquing their officials. The NFL fires officials almost annually based on their performance. When's the last time the NHL fired officials? It just feels like CFL level officiating where you can alter the outcome of games and never be disciplined for it. The officials handling the playoffs are supposed to be the officials the league has determined as their best. That's pretty scary if you have watched all the series.
The NHL does educate its officials. But it draws from a pool of officials from lower leagues, and that pool isn't anything close to as large as the NFL. Hockey as a sport has a real problem attracting and keeping officials. The fact they have to be quite good athletes themselves immediately makes many of the kinds of educated spectators who ref other sports (like football) ineligible. Add to that the very high burnout rate among young refs in junior and minor hockey because of abuse from fans and coaches, and it's a real problem.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 04-17-2017 at 10:33 AM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2017, 10:20 AM   #983
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

The challenge thing - a lot of it could be fixed by just saying what the call on the ice is before you start talking/reviewing anyone. If his initial call was goalie interference then say it and go from there.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2017, 10:32 AM   #984
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
The NHL does educate its officials. But its draws from a pool of officials from lower leagues, and that pool isn't anything close to as large as the NFL. Hockey as a sport has a real problem attracting and keeping officials. The fact they have to be quite good athletes themselves immediately makes many of the kinds of educated spectators who ref other sports (like football) ineligible. Add to that the very high burnout rate among young refs in junior and minor hockey because of abuse from fans and coaches, and it's a real problem.
The culture of abuse towards officials in the NHL is probably my least favourite aspect of the sport.

Coming from baseball and rugby, the idea that you could somehow tell a ref to #### off and have it not IMMEDIATELY mean consequences for you and your team is crazy to me.

The idea you can actually petition the ref for leniency or fairness is a foundational attack on the legitimacy and integrity of the game itself.

Basically, to be a fan of NHL hockey you have to be accepting that games are not a black and white winner and loser but instead a managed piece of theatre.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 10:37 AM   #985
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
The culture of abuse towards officials in the NHL is probably my least favourite aspect of the sport.

Coming from baseball and rugby, the idea that you could somehow tell a ref to #### off and have it not IMMEDIATELY mean consequences for you and your team is crazy to me.

The idea you can actually petition the ref for leniency or fairness is a foundational attack on the legitimacy and integrity of the game itself.

Basically, to be a fan of NHL hockey you have to be accepting that games are not a black and white winner and loser but instead a managed piece of theatre.
Which is exactly how NHL owners and GM's want it.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2017, 11:31 AM   #986
sixpacked
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post

While I agree with most of your post, when have you seen a ref change their mind/lower/dismiss a penalty call, or another call on the ice due to a player lobbying??? Yes there are corrections to a missed call, say puck over boards that hit boards instead of straight out.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:49 PM   #987
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good article today at TSN documenting the Flames lack of discipline;

http://www.tsn.ca/talent/a-lack-of-d...lgary-1.726445

I thought this comment was interesting;

Quote:
I have seen some interesting theories kicked around as to what kind of detrimental impact the Dennis Wideman incident has had on Calgary – there are pretty compelling arguments that officiating has, to some degree anyway, been more aggressive in whistling the Flames for infractions.
This guy isn't a Flames fan and doesn't have a horse in this race so I don't believe you can fault Flames fans for feeling the Flames have not always received a fair shake. That said I believe this team isn't as disciplined as it could be so maybe (hopefully) if the team can clean up it's act things will start to balance back to pre-wiseman incident days.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2017, 01:07 PM   #988
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Good article today at TSN documenting the Flames lack of discipline;

http://www.tsn.ca/talent/a-lack-of-d...lgary-1.726445

I thought this comment was interesting;

This guy isn't a Flames fan and doesn't have a horse in this race so I don't believe you can fault Flames fans for feeling the Flames have not always received a fair shake. That said I believe this team isn't as disciplined as it could be so maybe (hopefully) if the team can clean up it's act things will start to balance back to pre-wiseman incident days.
That stats by lopez article is pretty interesting too.

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
IliketoPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 09:49 PM   #989
Drak
First Line Centre

Exp:

Wrong thread,
Drak is offline   Reply With Quote