Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2017, 11:40 PM   #1
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Reinhart dressed, then sat for entire game by Bylsma

Seeing this on the Twitterverse...

@BuffNewsVogl

Sam Reinhart violated team rule today as punishment was to sit whole game, coach Dan Bylsma says

@BuffaloSabres

Sabres Captain Brian Gionta: We're building a culture here. Everybody needs to learn from this. It's about the long-term of this franchise.... & how we grow as a team. He's a good kid. He's going to learn from it, and we'll be better as a group for it.

Nothing yet on what exactly the kid did. Not sure why he didn't just scratch him vs. dressing him and then benching him?
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 11:46 PM   #2
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

They didn't have any healthy forwards to take Reinharts place in the lineup which makes it sound worse.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:50 PM   #3
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sitting on bench dressed is a little more severe than press box. He must have done something bad.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:09 AM   #4
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

At least being scratched means you're a little separated from the situation. Being put on the bench and stapled to it is so much worse of a feeling I'd imagine.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 01:11 AM   #5
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

He's getting the Rob Ray treatment.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 01:40 AM   #6
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustygoon View Post
Sitting on bench dressed is a little more severe than press box. He must have done something bad.
Twitter is saying he was late for a team meeting. Apparently Eichel did it earlier in the season and was benched for a shift but Bylsma warned the players it would be a game if it happens again regardless of who does it.

Reinhart is sitting alone on the right.

I get that the had to dress him because of injurys but to make him sit alone in the corner for 2.5 hours isn't going to sit well with a lot of people. Bylsma will learn the hard way this is professional sports not kindergarten.

The last coach I remember treating a young player like he was in pre school didn't last long and never coached again. His name was Greg Gilbert.
Snuffleupagus is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2017, 01:48 AM   #7
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://buffalonews.com/2017/03/11/mi...ve-say-bylsma/

Seems like Bylsma's been consistent in being harsher with the kids. At the same time the younger part of the team is starting to be grinded down by the coach. Friedman mentioned about this article in his 30 thoughts today. It'll be interesting how much longer Bylsma stays as the coach assuming he gets a little more help from his GM.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 02:25 AM   #8
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
The last coach I remember treating a young player like he was in pre school didn't last long and never coached again. His name was Greg Gilbert.
Hmmm, who thanked this post? Yep, checks out.
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Party Elephant For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2017, 07:46 AM   #9
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It probably still is.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2017, 07:47 AM   #10
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Twitter is saying he was late for a team meeting. Apparently Eichel did it earlier in the season and was benched for a shift but Bylsma warned the players it would be a game if it happens again regardless of who does it.

I get that the had to dress him because of injurys but to make him sit alone in the corner for 2.5 hours isn't going to sit well with a lot of people. Bylsma will learn the hard way this is professional sports not kindergarten.

So what you are saying is that he was warned this would happen if he was late for a team event? Then he was late, and the exact punishment that was mentioned earlier in the season was used. Now the coach should take some heat?

Gimme a break, he got what he deserved and was benched. Mistakes happen but you learn from them. I hope our coaches do the exact same thing and don't treat star plays differently than our 4th guys. Some young guys need to be taught to be professionals, this is going to help Sam learn that.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:57 AM   #11
nemanja2306
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by foshizzle11 View Post
So what you are saying is that he was warned this would happen if he was late for a team event? Then he was late, and the exact punishment that was mentioned earlier in the season was used. Now the coach should take some heat?

Gimme a break, he got what he deserved and was benched. Mistakes happen but you learn from them. I hope our coaches do the exact same thing and don't treat star plays differently than our 4th guys. Some young guys need to be taught to be professionals, this is going to help Sam learn that.
Eichel was warned, he was punished. Unfair.
nemanja2306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 08:01 AM   #12
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemanja2306 View Post
Eichel was warned, he was punished. Unfair.
Life isn't fair. Fact of the matter is, the coach made it clear the next player would be benched. It is actually very fair.
Monahan For Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Monahan For Mayor For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2017, 08:08 AM   #13
nemanja2306
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahan For Mayor View Post
Life isn't fair. Fact of the matter is, the coach made it clear the next player would be benched. It is actually very fair.
It's unfair. It's not like Eichel didn't know that being late is bad, why didn't he get benched for a game?
nemanja2306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 08:15 AM   #14
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Evander needs to take these kids under his wing.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2017, 08:18 AM   #15
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Boo freakin' hoo. Reinhart broke a team rule and got benched, after being warned it would happen. Why the comparison to Gilbert? Greg Gilbert has won nothing in his coaching career at the NHL level. Regardless of what anyone thinks of Bylsma, he has a Stanley Cup and Jack Adams award under his belt. Gilbert never coached again. But Bylsma will always have a long line of suitors after him. In fact it seems to me that Reinhart is the one learning that this is professional sport, and not kindergarten. Not Bylsma.

And who exactly is it not going to sit well with? The quote from team captain Gionta seems to say that the leadership group in the locker room is very much standing behind the coach's decision and that all parties will learn from it. Who exactly are these ''lots of people'' that it's not sitting well with? Fans on a message board?
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 08:19 AM   #16
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

If this happened to me, I'd likely ask for a trade.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:24 AM   #17
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDVAN View Post
If this happened to me, I'd likely ask for a trade.
Well good riddance then. Why would a team want a player who sulks after missing a team meeting on his own accord, who then asks for a trade after being disciplined? I don't know Reinhart very well at all. But I'd imagine he's not going to make a big deal out of it like fans/media will. Hopefully he does what Sean, Lance Johnny did when they got scratched and come out and say it was a learning experience.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2017, 08:30 AM   #18
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
It's unfair. It's not like Eichel didn't know that being late is bad, why didn't he get benched for a game?
You want fair? Join a children's soccer league. The team was told next person to do it sits a game. Kid was the next one. He sat a game. Such horribleness, how shall Sam ever recover? Oh my stars and garters this is simply a bridge too far.

*Puts hand to forehead, faints dramatically*
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2017, 08:32 AM   #19
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What's even worse is that I've noticed some players get more ice time and even get paid more!
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2017, 08:36 AM   #20
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Why exactly wouldn't this sit well with people? Sorry, but these are grown men that know the rules and are paid extremely well to follow them. If I'm on an NHL team I'm setting two alarms every day and making sure I'm at the arena at least 30 minutes before any "required" team events. The fact the team was warned that it wouldn't be tolerated again makes it even worse.

Good on Bylsma for following through.