Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2017, 05:09 PM   #1
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:
Icon48 More unsealed e-mails in concussion lawsuit

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl-doctor-slams-s...ments-1.708729

Quote:
The National Hockey League team doctor had seen enough.
Hours earlier, he watched Chicago Blackhawks forward Martin Havlat return to the ice for Game 4 of the 2009 NHL Western Conference final, just two days after Havlat had been knocked unconscious during Game 3 by a ferocious bodycheck. In Game 4, Havlat was hit again and was forced to leave the game early.
The team doctor – one of at least 30 physicians charged with safeguarding the health of the NHL’s players – couldn’t understand why Havlat had been allowed back into the Blackhawks lineup for Game 4.
“I am once again disappointed in my colleagues in the [National Hockey League Team Physicians Society],” the doctor wrote in an email to Dr. Willem Meeuwisse, a Calgary-based member of the NHL’s Concussion Working Group. “We all sit around and talk and talk about concussion management. Then it’s the playoffs, someone suffers an obvious loss of consciousness and is back playing in less than 48 hours.
“This same Chicago player was hit hard again today and was unable to continue in the game. Another example of situational ethics. Our only job is to protect the players from harm including when the player is ‘clearing’ himself to play. We must be their advocate regardless of what the coach or general manager thinks.”
A week later, Dr. Meeuwisse forwarded the doctor’s email – after removing his identity – to Dr. Ruben Echemendia, a neuropsychologist in Pennsylvania and the co-chair of the NHL Concussion Working Group, NHL lawyer Julie Grand and Ottawa Senators doctor Mark Aubry.
“I chose to remove his name, and have not circulated to everyone on the concussion committee because it could be taken as quite inflammatory,” Dr. Meeuwisse wrote in his May 31, 2009, email. “However, I think he is verbalizing what many people think, so I thought I should pass along the sentiment.”
Grand forwarded the email the same day to NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly. There is no record of a response from Daly in the documents.
When Kerry Fraser critizied the league:
Quote:
The NHL fined but did not suspend New York Rangers player Derek Stepan for elbowing Mike Green, then of the Washington Capitals, during a game. Days later, former NHL referee Kerry Fraser appeared on TSN and criticized the league’s discipline.
Fraser sent an email to a group of 39 medical researchers on March 1, 2011, including Dr. Echemendia. Fraser included a link to a video of the incident on TSN’s website.
“You will see the hit and then you can judge as to whether a ‘fine’ was warranted? You make the call,” Fraser wrote.
Dr. Echemendia forwarded Fraser’s email to Grand and Daly.
“FYI see below the kinds of emails that Kerry Fraser is circulating,” Dr. Echemendia wrote.
Daly forwarded the email string to commissioner Gary Bettman.
“I’m not sure there is anything we can or should be doing, but I wanted you to be aware,” Daly wrote.
“Are we still paying him anything?” Bettman asked in reply.
“Yes, his severance,” Daly answered. “But I’m not sure we can stop paying him for expressing views critical of the League.”
“It wouldn’t be nice but maybe he should understand it’s not nice to bite the hand that feeds you,” Bettman wrote. “Please have someone check to see if there are any grounds to withhold. Don’t want to hurt him – maybe just get his attention. This campaign, his book – somewhat delusional.”
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2017, 05:15 PM   #2
Samuelsson
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Bettman sounds a little Trump-esque
Old 03-28-2017, 05:28 PM   #3
Cole436
First Line Centre

Exp:

NHL management is scum. News at 11.
Old 03-28-2017, 05:32 PM   #4
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

The stuff on Fraser for criticizing the league just pissed me off. Why should the league be above criticism?
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 05:37 PM   #5
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Hahaha, Bettman, wtf?

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 06:09 PM   #6
Codes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Simply slimy.
Old 03-28-2017, 06:25 PM   #7
smiggy77
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Don't want to hurt him - maybe just get his attention.
Aka hire a goon to smash into his car, look out the window and give him the throats slash, and then drive off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-28-2017, 06:58 PM   #8
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiggy77 View Post
Aka hire a goon to smash into his car, look out the window and give him the throats slash, and then drive off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2017, 07:14 PM   #9
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yup, very much in line with what I had imagined. I'm guessing there is a "don't bite the hand that feeds you" clause written into Rogers's rights deal as well.

And in the states, for broadcasting rights that would be far more expensive and far more valuable, NFL commentators call spades spades and lambaste poor officiating performances. At least it gives the fans some semblance of accountability if a national broadcaster embarrasses a reffing crew in front of a national audience. This league has a slimy feel to it. Not a good image.
Major Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 07:59 PM   #10
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Wow; that Gary Bettman is quite the weasle
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 08:15 PM   #11
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Some of the released emails disclosed describe the behind-the-scenes debate at the NHL following the death in January 2009 of Don Sanderson, a player in an Ontario men’s senior league who died after his helmet came off and he hit his head on the ice during a fight.

Weeks after Sanderson’s death, Stephen Walkom, the NHL’s director of officiating, discussed with colleagues possible rule changes to prevent other serious injuries.

Johanna Kytola, who worked in the NHL’s officiating department, emailed Walkom on Feb. 10, 2009, to ask whether a consensus had been reached on new rules regarding fighting.

“Ya love it, much to the dismay of the tree huggin, never played sport, leftist doctors… that soon won’t let us climb stairs for fear of concussion...” Walkom responded.

“Well ultimately you can never get rid of fighting... No matter what the injury risk ” Kytola wrote.
Stephen Walkom doesn't come across too smart in this particular quote.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 09:04 PM   #12
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

That Fraser comments are a big misstep in the Court of Public Opinion for Bettman.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:59 PM   #13
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

As much as Bettman trys to rehabilitate his image as "one of the good guys", it is stuff like this that keeps coming out that will ensure that is never going to happen.

The Bronx cheers this guy gets will just keep getting louder and louder.
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 12:12 AM   #14
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

And now I remember why Bettman gets booed every June. And well, at every other public appearance.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 12:15 AM   #15
NuclearFart
First Line Centre

Exp:

I used to give Bettman the benefit of doubt, but the more you read his email trains, the more you realize he's just another sociopath who made his way to the top.
NuclearFart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 12:38 AM   #16
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Sucks that out beloved team must be a part of a league run by slimy guys that conduct their business behind closed door like mob bosses.

Sometimes I hate the fact that I'm contributing anything to them at all.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote