Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2017, 01:11 PM   #21
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
Ignoring Brouwer, it would be stupid to protect Lazar over Ferland. Ferland is getting protected.
Stupid or not, it sounds like Treliving is very high on Lazar's potential, and the only way he doesn't protect him right after trading for him is because he knows for sure that McPhee doesn't want him. Otherwise, it wouldn't make any sense to acquire him when he did.

I'm not advocating for any one scenario, I'm just saying that it's possible that Ferland goes unprotected, and the fans should start getting used to the idea that Brouwer and Lazar will be protected over him.
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 01:12 PM   #22
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

Brouwer probably wouldn't get chosen anyways due to salary, if we expose him and keep Ferland and Lazar, all three remain flames. Even if Brouwer was cheaper, I'd rather Ferland/Lazar, but this is one case I'm fine with him being expensive, we probably don't lose him. I'm guessing we lose shinkaruk or poirier.
savardandjokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 01:13 PM   #23
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't see Ferland or Lazar being left unprotected. Brouwer maybe, as an educated gamble based on his salary. Or more likely a deal is done to keep all three.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 01:14 PM   #24
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
It's entirely possible.

Monahan

Gaudreau

Backlund

Frolik

Bennett

Brouwer

Lazar

That's 7. It depends if the Flames are comfortable exposing Brouwer (possible) or Lazar (unlikely) over Ferland.

I don't see this a possibility at all to be honest. The Flames have put too much effort into Ferland's development to give him away now.

He isn't comparable to Colborne because even when he isn't scoring he's still contributing in other ways.

They will make a deal with Vegas or expose Brouwer before exposing Ferland
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bax For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2017, 01:15 PM   #25
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's just as likely Brouwer is taken BECAUSE of his salary. Gotta hit the cap floor. Look at all the gymnastics the Coyotes have done in the last couple of years taking on dead contracts just to stay above the cap floor.

When you don't have any stars to pay, you need to have overpriced veterans to get to the cap floor.
Old 03-28-2017, 01:17 PM   #26
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Simple answer... Pierre LeBrun is really Kevin "No one wants Ferkland" Bieksa. All makes sense now.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 01:18 PM   #27
Southside
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Unless Brouwer really drives the Flames in the playoffs, he will be exposed. Treliving will take the chance that they don't bite given his salary, term and points scored. If LV did take Brouwer, well then you have that salary to use to make other acquisitions via trade or free agency.

At this point I say it is a virtual lock that Ferland is protected.
Southside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 01:22 PM   #28
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's just as likely Brouwer is taken BECAUSE of his salary. Gotta hit the cap floor. Look at all the gymnastics the Coyotes have done in the last couple of years taking on dead contracts just to stay above the cap floor.

When you don't have any stars to pay, you need to have overpriced veterans to get to the cap floor.
Brouwer actually looks pretty good compared to players that will be available that make similar money like Benoit Pouliot. If you are going to take on that salary may as well ensure that you get a player that has some intangibles and can contribute. That said I wouldn't be surprised if Brouwer and his agent covered their bases when they signed the deal and has something written in it about the expansion draft.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 01:23 PM   #29
Greybeard
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Do we really care if Brouwer is taken. No way Ferland is exposed, scoring goals, hits and could be a tough competitor come playoffs. Lazar or Brouwer is exposed barring a deal I think Brouwer. If he goes to LV gives them cap room for Elliot, Bennett and Tkachuk.
Greybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 01:24 PM   #30
Southside
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Brouwer actually looks pretty good compared to players that will be available that make similar money like Benoit Pouliot. If you are going to take on that salary may as well ensure that you get a player that has some intangibles and can contribute. That said I wouldn't be surprised if Brouwer and his agent covered their bases when they signed the deal and has something written in it about the expansion draft.
It's called a NMC and Brouwer did not negotiate one.
Southside is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Southside For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2017, 01:25 PM   #31
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

All it takes is one little side deal and just like that all of Ferland, Lazar and Brouwer are protected too. I wouldn't put it past BT.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 01:27 PM   #32
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Am I taking crazy pills? How would any Flames fan consider protecting Brouwer or Lazar over Ferland?
Ashasx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 01:31 PM   #33
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Am I taking crazy pills? How would any Flames fan consider protecting Brouwer or Lazar over Ferland?
Variation in player evaluation, situational analysis, and overall opinion. Pretty simple really.
Old 03-28-2017, 01:31 PM   #34
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like Brouwer and hope he's the clutch playoff performer he's been in the past but I don't see how or why you protect him over Ferland, unless he has a Conn Smythe-esque postseason. Ferland has the same amount of points, 2 more goals and is a +1 to Brouwers -12. Ferland also hasn't received any the PP time Brouwer gets and has had infinitely worse linemates up until a month ago. Inconsistent or not, he's providing more than Brouwer for 18% of the cap hit. Yes, he'll get a raise this summer but it won't be 4.5 million/yr. Ferland is also 7 years younger. Gotta protect Mr. Irrelevant.
Old 03-28-2017, 01:32 PM   #35
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can someone please explain to me why Vegas would select Pouliot, considering his production and salary?

Also, how come nobody selected Matt Murray? Did I miss where Pittsburgh traded Fleury?

Ferland will be protected, so it's a non-issue IMO. Just further proves nobody stays up to watch the Flames play.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 01:33 PM   #36
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post
Can someone please explain to me why Vegas would select Pouliot, considering his production and salary?

Also, how come nobody selected Matt Murray? Did I miss where Pittsburgh traded Fleury?
The writers are probably aware of the Pens situation, and they know that Murray gets protected at all costs. Fleury will be traded or bought out before the expansion draft. It's gonna happen.
Old 03-28-2017, 01:33 PM   #37
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Early in the year I was worried the Flames would have to expose Ferland. I think there's literally no chance now considering how Ferland, and more importantly Gaudreau, have played since that trio got put together.
I remember when people were freaking out that the Flames would lose Jokipaka to Las Vegas. It was a more complicated time back then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2017, 01:35 PM   #38
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southside View Post
It's called a NMC and Brouwer did not negotiate one.
I know what that's called but I have a feeling that expansion was addressed in negotiations with a lot of UFA's last season. Could be nothing more than a hand shake agreement that I'm sure Treliving would honor. I want Brouwer to be exposed and picked if possible but I'm just not sure he's going to be exposed. Time will tell on this one.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 01:36 PM   #39
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The writers are probably aware of the Pens situation, and they know that Murray gets protected at all costs. Fleury will be traded or bought out before the expansion draft. It's gonna happen.
I agree that Pittsburgh will do something, but it says right in the article "assuming there are no trades".
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 01:37 PM   #40
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Maybe a side deal with Vegas to not take Ferland, say Bouma instead, with the Flames tossing in a mid-level prospect.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote