Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2017, 06:21 PM   #21
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
That 'Honest trailers' thing was dumb. The ending wasnt the point.

Was there any point where you were unsure that John Wick, the titular character, wasnt going to win? Or change his mind?

The ending was pretty well set in stone, it was always about the ride.
Fair point and I guess it was nitpicking. Calling something from Honest Trailers stupid though? Come on the entire point of those videos is to make silly stupid jokes about films.

Speaking of hilarious YouTube videos which nitpick movies, CinemaSins also released a John Wick video the other day.
Old 02-12-2017, 12:43 AM   #22
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

Watched the first one after reading this thread, not sure what all the hype was about. It was okay. I didn't think the action scenes were anything special, they were competently shot but in comparison to a film like Fury Road, they were lacking.
Old 02-12-2017, 10:38 AM   #23
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammies View Post
Watched the first one after reading this thread, not sure what all the hype was about. It was okay. I didn't think the action scenes were anything special, they were competently shot but in comparison to a film like Fury Road, they were lacking.
Thats odd, I see those as two very different movies.

The action scenes in John Wick are individual rather than these huge productions. I find it difficult to compare the two films because they operate on completely opposite scales.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2017, 10:53 AM   #24
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Fury Road is an epic, in the tradition of Ben Hur. John Wick is a revenge movie like Old Boy or Unforgiven. Two different genres so it's not fair to compare them.
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2017, 01:26 PM   #25
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

Perhaps I put that badly - I know they are different kinds of film, I am talking specifically about the way the action is shot in John Wick not bring anything new or unusual. The impression I got was that it was supposed to be an exemplar of the genre, and that wasn't my impression at all.

It reminded me of the way old kung-fu movies were done, right down to the way the occasional tougher bad guy would go one on one with the hero in a videogame-esque "boss fight", always conveniently when the rest of the baddies were downed or absent. Although that is a standard trope, it was especially blatant, just like how the multitudes of enemies politely came at Wick in packets small enough for him to handle in sequence. And it's all shown from medium to close range in enclosed spaces where cascading those two kinds of scenes is at least visually plausible.

I see how it is a throwback to a more 70s kind of style, but maybe because I am old and grew up with those movies I find it less fresh than formulaic. It was no Unforgiven...
Old 02-13-2017, 12:23 AM   #26
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Just saw Chapter 2.

Thought it was great once again. The first scene is awesome, as is the last half as it keeps ramping up.

Some ridiculous violence and action once again, though they managed to top the violence and choreography from the first movie.

The set designs were incredible, as is the cinematography. Best of all is how the 2 films jump into the mythology with both feet. I think they are so much stronger as a result of not spending huge chunks of time on exposition and trying to establish the universe, you just have to accept it and strap in.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2017, 01:15 AM   #27
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

First movie in a few years to make me say "wow" out loud in the theatre (the Raid 2 was the last one)

Action movie. Will do well at the theatres, but I suspect it won't be for everyone.
Old 02-13-2017, 01:44 AM   #28
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

Saw it yesterday, super awesome, give it a solid 8.5/10. Fully agree with AC's comments re: the mythology of the world.

I hope we get to see a prequel "The Impossible Task" before John Wick 3 wraps up the story.

Prediction for Chapter 3:
Spoiler!
driveway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 11:55 AM   #29
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Saw it on the weekend and enjoyed the hell out of it. One of those rare sequels that actually improves on the original. Excellent stunt work, gun play, and fight choreography. Beautiful cinematography as well.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 12:02 PM   #30
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

The pencil violence... so awesome...
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2017, 07:26 AM   #31
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Went last night, was very entertained.

If you like the first you'll like this. The car scene, the mirror maze, Ruby Rose, what's not to love.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 08:00 AM   #32
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

So apparently I need to see the original. I've always liked Keanu Reeves too, who I thought was still regarded as a "guilty pleasure" actor. Didn't realize the original Wick brought him back over to respectable actor status again. Good
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 02:48 PM   #33
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

This movie was so much fun. Wall to wall violence. Keanu was great. Loved the opening scene.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 03:34 PM   #34
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

This thread is madness. John Wick one of the most perfect action films ever made, Keanu Reeve one of the best action actors ever. Goodness gracious. The first film was Saturday afternoon hangover watchable AT BEST.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 03:38 PM   #35
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
This thread is madness. John Wick one of the most perfect action films ever made, Keanu Reeve one of the best action actors ever. Goodness gracious. The first film was Saturday afternoon hangover watchable AT BEST.
Saturday afternoon is booked for when I get my Pope shoes.

Pope Sandals?

Gravity shoes?

Okay, I dont know what they're called, but thats the time that I get them. Except I dont. Because I obviously dont have any.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 04:36 PM   #36
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
I watched it the Saturday afternoon day after getting my wisdom teeth out. Adequate entertainment for that.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2017, 04:58 PM   #37
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Saw Chapter 2 this weekend and loved the flick,
My only gripe is that I can suspend belief, but John Wick does not miss a headshot the entire movie...the other assassins? Only body shots to the bulletproof suit
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jbo For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2017, 05:07 PM   #38
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Saturday afternoon is booked for when I get my Pope shoes.

Pope Sandals?

Gravity shoes?

Okay, I dont know what they're called, but thats the time that I get them. Except I dont. Because I obviously dont have any.
Well, you don't need Pope shoes.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 07:29 PM   #39
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is this a good date movie? My wife usually likes comedies or crap like the notebook, chocolate or serendipity.

If I arrange for the kids to be up with the grandparents the night we see it, should I expect to get my freak on when we get home?
Old 02-20-2017, 07:59 PM   #40
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

She will hate this probably. You'll probably love it. What to do?
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote