Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-10-2016, 09:20 AM   #1
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:
Default Matrix directors, formerly brothers, are now sisters

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ana-wachowski/

They are notoriously private, so like me many people probably wondered why that one Wachowski brother was now directing movies with his sister instead of his brother. Turns out it was the same two people all along. A little unfortunate she had to be forced out by the sounds of it.

Quote:
She said she was trailed by tabloids, including London’s Daily Mail, eager to tell the story of how a well-known director had transitioned to another gender. It didn’t matter, she said, that outing trans people before they are ready to re-introduce themselves to the world can lead to suicide. And, for awhile, the glossy magazines in the supermarket aisle held off.

“The editors of these publications didn’t print a story that was only salacious in substance and could possibly have a potentially fatal effect,” Lilly Wachowski, who co-directed “The Matrix” trilogy under the name Andy Wachowski, wrote in a lengthy statement to the Windy City Times, a Chicago LGBTQ publication. “And being the optimist that I am, I was happy to chalk it up to progress.”

But when a man claiming to be a Daily Mail reporter showed up on her doorstep earlier this month, Wachowski, 48, decided to make public what was known already to her friends and family: Like her sister Lana Wachowski — who co-directed “The Matrix” under the name Larry Wachowski — she is a transgender woman.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 09:22 AM   #2
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Forum won't let me edit right now but that should say "now directing with his sister" instead of "not directing with his sister" in my first sentence.
Old 03-10-2016, 09:29 AM   #3
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

That's no surprise to anyone and it's a shame this is "news". I'm more interested in their work but unfortunately after Cloud Atlas and Jupiter Ascending, no studio is going to give them a big budget film ever again.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 09:32 AM   #4
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I'm glad that they've done this and its helped them be happier in their lives.

As directors/producers whatever, they're terribly over rated

Outside of the first Matrix Movie (They destroyed the second and third) their movies have just been completely terrible messes.

I agree with the above, they're not going to be given big budget movies and they've been inducted into the over rated Hollywood talent hall of fame directors wing with M Night.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 09:34 AM   #5
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
That's no surprise to anyone and it's a shame this is "news". I'm more interested in their work but unfortunately after Cloud Atlas and Jupiter Ascending, no studio is going to give them a big budget film ever again.
I don't think there is anything wrong with it being news. Far as I can tell, despite their desire for privacy, the Wachowski's don't have a problem being role models. It's just unfortunate that the media jumped the gun. Nice to see they actually held off for a little while, that's something I guess.
Old 03-10-2016, 09:34 AM   #6
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^^ They wrote V for Vendetta, which is a good one too (obviously adapted though). But yeah, that and The Matrix are really about it.
Old 03-10-2016, 09:38 AM   #7
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

This isn't really new though.
I've known about this for years.

Oops, never mind. I was referring to one being trans-gendered. I guess this is new.
Good for them.

Last edited by Bring_Back_Shantz; 03-10-2016 at 09:44 AM.
Bring_Back_Shantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 09:41 AM   #8
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I knew the one had transitioned a while ago, but both? That seems just a little odd...
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 09:45 AM   #9
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

I only watched the first episode of it but it looked like the transgendered character in Sense8 was a chance for them to talk a little about their own personal experiences.

It sounds like that show did well for them and for Netflix, so maybe that's where their careers will end up focusing: long-form story-telling without box-office or network expectations and limitations.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 09:54 AM   #10
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

One hit wonders.

But good for them.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 12:49 PM   #11
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm one of the few who really liked Cloud Atlas, took a couple viewings to absorb but then I began to appreciate it. Such a huge overtaking, massive scope for a film, I thought it was done very well.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 01:03 PM   #12
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by octothorp View Post
I only watched the first episode of it but it looked like the transgendered character in Sense8 was a chance for them to talk a little about their own personal experiences.

It sounds like that show did well for them and for Netflix, so maybe that's where their careers will end up focusing: long-form story-telling without box-office or network expectations and limitations.
I thought Sense8 was great. And both the first Matrix movie and V for Vendetta are two of my favourite movies. I believe they also had a hand in the Animatrix. So yeah they've had their share of flops, but they've had some pretty great successes too.
Old 03-10-2016, 01:07 PM   #13
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryzsky View Post
I'm one of the few who really liked Cloud Atlas, took a couple viewings to absorb but then I began to appreciate it. Such a huge overtaking, massive scope for a film, I thought it was done very well.
I also really liked Cloud Atlas.

Jupiter Ascending however was pure garbage.

I think they both failed financially pretty badly though.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 05:08 PM   #14
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Bound is a great movie too.
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 05:29 PM   #15
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I don't see how someone can think Cloud Atlas was garbage. At the very worst you can say it aimed too high but still had it's moments. I give them props for such an ambitious effort

V for Vendetta and the Matrix are two of my favorite movies
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 05:34 PM   #16
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Forgot they made V for Vendetta. I like that movie more than either of the Matrix Sequels.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to polak For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2016, 11:10 PM   #17
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Since no one else will admit it, I liked all three Matrix movies. My favorite is actually the second one!

Sense8 was also good. Was a second season confirmed? I hope so, the show had a lot of great stuff.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 07:30 AM   #18
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Why in the heck wouldn't it be news? Two high profile directors that were originally men are now women. We live in an age where we know what the Kardashians ate for breakfast this morning. We heard the Mel Gibson tapes of him melting down on a private tape. Did you think the media wouldn't notice that the Wachowski brothers are now sisters?
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 10:49 AM   #19
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikephoen View Post
Since no one else will admit it, I liked all three Matrix movies. My favorite is actually the second one!

Sense8 was also good. Was a second season confirmed? I hope so, the show had a lot of great stuff.
The first was a very good movie from a story perspective.

The second was a good movie from a 'splosions perspective.

The third, like the third film in most trilogies, didn't need to exist.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 11:27 AM   #20
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I'm glad that they've done this and its helped them be happier in their lives.

As directors/producers whatever, they're terribly over rated

Outside of the first Matrix Movie (They destroyed the second and third) their movies have just been completely terrible messes.

I agree with the above, they're not going to be given big budget movies and they've been inducted into the over rated Hollywood talent hall of fame directors wing with M Night.
I recently rewatched all of them and someone basically cracked the story. In retrospect the second and third aren't actually bad, they are massively misunderstood and people are only figuring it out now.

The Matrix wasn't about Neo ever. The Architect and Oracle state that the one who will save the matrix is an anomaly and that he's been around since the first Matrix and that the Oracle had some hand in creating the one. Hence why she said he's not the one when they met. Then most importantly their prophecies state the one will touch the source and end the war.

When Smith meets the Oracle she's referred to as mom. When Neo meets the Oracle she has that incredulous look on her face because she thinks it's funny people are asking about the anomaly when she knew full well along exactly who it was.

Smith does escape the Matrix, numerous times. Philosophically when he was able to lose the earpiece and get out from under their control and when he takes over Bane. Smith outwardly stated that he hates the Matrix and that he wanted out, right to Morpheus' face he has a legitimate emotional meltdown and takes out his earpiece before the agents contact him with a wtf are you doing look, then Neo goes boom.

When Neo first touches the source and talks to the robot god nothing happens, Neo knows what will happen if Smith infects him because Smith is the anomaly.

When Smith infects Neo there is a surge of energy through Neo into the source, that moment where he goes all Christ in the real world. This is because the anomaly was finally united with the source and the reboot button was hit, the whole thing is the Oracle's fault for creating Smith. He was too powerful and egotistical with not enough intelligence. The end result is Neo (with an altruistic sacrificial act of peace) annihilates the one (an egotistical fully selfish entity blind with power) like an antimatter reaction where there's nothing left over.

Neo wasn't the one, he simply recognized that Smith was and that if Smith infected him it would end the war. He fought Smith so Smith would actually do it not understanding the gravity of his situation as opposed to if Neo walked up and went infect me bro, at which point Smith would have stopped to think, he was sentient.

They also state the one could change background code of the Matrix, Neo could not. He could fly, he could stop bullets, he could see the code but that was it. Smith could take over sentient beings and actually change matter, teleport around, create Deja Vu in the code changes, be in multiple places at once and he was practically invincible. All of which describe the one better than Neo.

Also, when people do that liquidy infection they crossover some abilities with the person they infect in a manner similar to the helicopter training upload. Which is why Neo could stop the machines in the real world, he could still see their code in a similar vision to Bane because he took over Smith (while simultaneously freeing him) and why Smith could fly. There are actually very few loose ends, it's just purposefully confusing.

Last edited by AcGold; 03-11-2016 at 12:29 PM.
AcGold is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AcGold For This Useful Post: