Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2015, 01:53 PM   #21
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh man, I might have to watch Cool Runnings now.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 02:25 PM   #22
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Don't forget about T-shirts. I remember the weather was so warm we wore t-shirts to the ski-jumping.
Yelling "Tastes Great... Less Filling..." back and forth with 60,000 others was fun too.
Old 12-16-2015, 03:57 PM   #23
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
Not a single #### was given.
Not to ruffle any feathers, but I think the liberties they've taken are fine. For the climax of a movie I don't feel there's anything wrong with making the setting look a little more awe-inspiring. Calgary is a great city, but unless you're looking west I'm not sure I'd call it pretty. Perhaps they filmed the entire movie in Europe and the budget wasn't there to transport filming to another continent?
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 08:03 AM   #24
Flames89
First Line Centre

Exp:

I didn't realize Eddie the Eagle is played by Taaron Egerton of Kingsmen fame
Flames89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 12:00 AM   #25
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
Not to ruffle any feathers, but I think the liberties they've taken are fine. For the climax of a movie I don't feel there's anything wrong with making the setting look a little more awe-inspiring. Calgary is a great city, but unless you're looking west I'm not sure I'd call it pretty. Perhaps they filmed the entire movie in Europe and the budget wasn't there to transport filming to another continent?
Ski Jumping is a religion in Europe and they have some pretty epic, awe inspiring jumps in some locales.

I have no problem either.
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 07:53 AM   #26
Guest1

Me:Hey! There's a movie about Eddie the Eagle!
Co-worker:Who?
Me: Eddie the Eagle. The ski jumper from Britain.
Co-worker:<blank look>
Me:From the Olympics?
Co-worker:<blank look continues>
Me:You were born and raised in Calgary... remember? The '88 Olympics?
Co-worker: I wasn't even born yet.

Old 12-23-2015, 11:08 AM   #27
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

lol. Instant "I feel old" comment.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 11:14 AM   #28
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Less than 2 months until the 28th Anniversary of the Olympics. So, realistically, anyone under ~35 is unlikely to have any real memories of the Games.

The march of time sucks.
Old 12-23-2015, 11:26 AM   #29
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Less than 2 months until the 28th Anniversary of the Olympics. So, realistically, anyone under ~35 is unlikely to have any real memories of the Games.

The march of time sucks.
Can confirm. The only actual Olympics memory I have is a fleeting glimpse of myself in the mirror wearing a red/white Petro Canada jacket (for kids) holding of those candles with the red plastic cups shaped like the Olympic Torch/Calgary Tower before a parade downtown? Might have been inside the Suncor building.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 12:25 PM   #30
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Can confirm. The only actual Olympics memory I have is a fleeting glimpse of myself in the mirror wearing a red/white Petro Canada jacket (for kids) holding of those candles with the red plastic cups shaped like the Olympic Torch/Calgary Tower before a parade downtown? Might have been inside the Suncor building.
My mom was one of the volunteers, I think she still has the jacket as well as one of those candles with the red Olympic cup thing on it.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 12:40 PM   #31
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm 36 and remember holding the torch in Canmore, as well as being in the opening ceremonies at the Nordic Centre. My mom was a volunteer with the British team(she's British) and after the games was invited back to Britain to spend some time with them, she even go a picture of her with Thatcher in the background as some event.

I also remember that they got 3 tickets to the closing ceremonies, but took my brother because he is a year older, so I got to sit at my aunt's place and watch it on TV. Still bitter about that one...But we did go watch ski jumping and some ski events at Nakiska, which i remember as well.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 01:25 PM   #32
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

At one point, my dad (who is from New Zealand) got a call asking if he wanted to try out for luge; apparently they didn't have a lot of winter sports athletes and were looking for New Zealand citizens living in Calgary to participate in some of the events. He was too old but we did get to go watch the tryouts. I'm almost amazed there weren't more Eddie the Eagle/Jamaican bobsled type stories if there was much of that stuff going on.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 02:07 PM   #33
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post

The march of time sucks.
Yeah, I'm 30, and only vaguely remember attending some ceremony (medal ceremony?) at Olympic Plaza, and holding one of those red cup candle things.
My dad was a volunteer though, and still has the jacket/toque/gloves.

I don't remember seeing Eddy the Eagle compete, but I grew up at COP in the winters, so they always had looping tape from the Olympics on the TVs in the lodge.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 02:13 PM   #34
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

My parents only knowledge of Calgary was from the Olympics when they and their friends blindly decided to move here. I wasn't born yet.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 09:52 AM   #35
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Saw this the other day.

Decent flick, nothing really exceptional about it but it's a nice feel good story. Story is pretty formulaic and it's almost a copy of Cool Runnings. If you go in without expectations you'll be entertained.

As for the actual details, about 98% of it is bunk.
Really the only accurate details are that there was a ski jumper from Britain named Michael Edwards and that he had American coaches. They even skewed how the actual competitions work but whatever.

But there are some good scenes with Matti Nykanen and some real footage of the opening and closing ceremonies which was nice to see. They even included Frank King's speech at the closing ceremony.
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 01:17 PM   #36
Harju
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I noticed at the end of the trailer Eddie was jumping with the tips of the skis spread. It seems to me at the time of the 88 Olympics the style was to keep the skis parallel underneath the body.
Harju is offline   Reply With Quote