Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2015, 08:10 PM   #21
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Nintendo Chalmers View Post
He isn't some hack. He occasionally volunteers as a helicopter pilot in search and rescues.
I don't know if this adds to the hack or no hack argument, but was the quote from a TMZ article:
Quote:
72-year-old Ford is a longtime aviator -- piloting planes and helicopters -- and has crashed multiple times in the past.

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2015/03/05/harris...#ixzz3TZUJrw2A
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 06:55 AM   #22
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Good to hear he's doing okay. He's played two of the greatest characters in film so I'm glad it's not his time. I kind of wish rich folk and celebrities would leave flying to professional pilots.
For once you have tasted flight...

If the bug isn't in you it's impossible for you to understand.

Not too mention that there is much more than just the professional pilots out there, America still has a HUGE general aviation community with thousands of private pilots tooling around in everything from almost ultra-light aircraft to restored warbirds and larger, while not considered "professionals" (by designation of their private license versus commercial and ATPL tickets) they still have to pass medicals and recurrent training.

Last edited by Bigtime; 03-07-2015 at 07:28 AM.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2015, 08:54 AM   #23
Misterpants
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Glad he's okay. Is it bad that when I heard I said "Oh no, what Episode 8 and 9!"
Misterpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 09:43 AM   #24
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterpants View Post
Glad he's okay. Is it bad that when I heard I said "Oh no, what Episode 8 and 9!"
It would be a really strong-arm tactic by Ford to finally get Solo killed off.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2015, 11:27 AM   #25
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Nintendo Chalmers View Post
He isn't some hack. He occasionally volunteers as a helicopter pilot in search and rescues.
There's full time pilots and there's enthusiasts. I don't discount that enthusiasts can be good pilots but there's a difference between the skills of someone that does it daily as a job and someone that does it as a hobby. Problem with plan crashes as depending on where they crash or how many passengers the results are usually catastrophic. Ford was lucky he crashed just after takeoff but he could have killed some golfers just the same.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 11:34 AM   #26
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I read that they expect him to make a full recovery, but that he has a "pancake sized" laceration on his head. Sounds like he might have been scalped.
Old 03-06-2015, 11:39 AM   #27
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Found some footage of him being taken from the green.

Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Minnie For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2015, 12:03 PM   #28
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
There's full time pilots and there's enthusiasts. I don't discount that enthusiasts can be good pilots but there's a difference between the skills of someone that does it daily as a job and someone that does it as a hobby. Problem with plan crashes as depending on where they crash or how many passengers the results are usually catastrophic. Ford was lucky he crashed just after takeoff but he could have killed some golfers just the same.
You're out of your depth here, ask any pilot of a single engine aircraft if they would be lucky to have an engine failure right after take off. Pretty damn sure we'd all say "No thanks, give me the failure up at cruising altitude".

You also ignore a lot of the human factors that can be an issue with a pilot that does it as a daily job versus the enthusiast. Things like the brain getting conditioned to the usual thing and responding that same way even when presented with different information one time. It's the reason things like checklists and standard operating procedures are so important for both commercial pilots and private pilots alike. Yet we have seen examples in the past few years of the automation degrading the flying skills of the pro pilots (Air France over the Atlantic, Asiana at SFO). Ford flying a stick and rudder plane like the PT-22 would ensure he keeps those basic flying skills up, and at the end of the day in an emergency that's what it usually boils down to.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:07 PM   #29
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
You're out of your depth here, ask any pilot of a single engine aircraft if they would be lucky to have an engine failure right after take off. Pretty damn sure we'd all say "No thanks, give me the failure up at cruising altitude".

You also ignore a lot of the human factors that can be an issue with a pilot that does it as a daily job versus the enthusiast. Things like the brain getting conditioned to the usual thing and responding that same way even when presented with different information one time. It's the reason things like checklists and standard operating procedures are so important for both commercial pilots and private pilots alike. Yet we have seen examples in the past few years of the automation degrading the flying skills of the pro pilots (Air France over the Atlantic, Asiana at SFO). Ford flying a stick and rudder plane like the PT-22 would ensure he keeps those basic flying skills up, and at the end of the day in an emergency that's what it usually boils down to.
You have the "bug" in your own words so anything you will say has to be taken with a grain of salt.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 12:24 PM   #30
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You have the "bug" in your own words so anything you will say has to be taken with a grain of salt.
Seriously? As a simple "hobbyist" pilot with 1000 hours of logged time everything I say comes from our training, education, and experience. We happen to have airline pilots on here too, and I'm crazy enough to think they wouldn't disagree with what I wrote, but are we to ignore them too or would the fact that they are pros be enough for you?

I still stand by my words that you are out of your depth, the very fact you think a engine failure in a single engine plane after takeoff is "lucky" speaks to that alone, regardless of me having the bug.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2015, 12:28 PM   #31
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Having flown only gliders I laugh at your dependence on engines!

But no really losing the engine on takeoff is about the worst place it could happen.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2015, 12:31 PM   #32
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

You're rubber he's glue.....

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 12:49 PM   #33
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Seriously? As a simple "hobbyist" pilot with 1000 hours of logged time everything I say comes from our training, education, and experience. We happen to have airline pilots on here too, and I'm crazy enough to think they wouldn't disagree with what I wrote, but are we to ignore them too or would the fact that they are pros be enough for you?

I still stand by my words that you are out of your depth, the very fact you think a engine failure in a single engine plane after takeoff is "lucky" speaks to that alone, regardless of me having the bug.
Since you are bias toward flying and we must take your opinion with a grain of salt, EE knows nothing about flying and therefore has no bias, so that makes him an expert in the field.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Burninator For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2015, 12:57 PM   #34
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dang it, I knew being pro-laminar flow would come back to haunt me some day.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2015, 01:07 PM   #35
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Dang it, I knew being pro-laminar flow would come back to haunt me some day.
You must be on the payroll of Big Bernoulli's Principle.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2015, 04:27 PM   #36
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Old 03-06-2015, 05:21 PM   #37
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

A few different videos at this link - the first one is apparently his plane just before crashing on the course. It's not close up and it's on a loop - there's another like it further down. One other is where the paramedics and doc that just happened to be on the course, are working on him. And apparently audio of him informing the tower of his engine failure - quite short. There's also one that's an interview with the doc that helped him out. He's so lucky, and I'm glad he didn't die. Pardon the Mail Online link

Link
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnie For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2017, 04:13 PM   #38
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

umm oops? Maybe he shouldn't be flying anymore.
http://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news/...irport-n720826

Quote:
Ford, an experienced pilot who collects vintage planes, had been instructed to land on runway 20-L at John Wayne Airport in Orange County, California, but mistakenly aimed for a taxiway, instead. His plane passed over the top of an American Airlines 737 carrying 110 passengers and a six-person crew.

The passenger plane, AA flight 1546, managed to depart safely for Dallas just minutes after the incident.

Ford, 74, was heard on air traffic control recordings asking, "Was that airliner meant to be underneath me?"

Air traffic controllers then informed Ford that he had landed on a taxiway rather than the runway — a violation of Federal Aviation Administration safety rules.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 05:20 PM   #39
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Harrison Ford seriously injured in plane crash

I thought it was a serious incident, not that he was seriously injured?

Edit: nevermind, thought this was a new thread.

Last edited by Wormius; 02-14-2017 at 05:22 PM.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2017, 07:44 PM   #40
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just looked at google maps and there's only one taxiway that he could have landed on. Holy crap he is lucky.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote