Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-14-2017, 05:57 PM   #301
JerryUnderscore
Scoring Winger

Exp:

If you were going to up the draft eligible age to 19, then there should probably be some exemption clause that allows exceptional players to get drafted at 18. If I'm not mistaken the OHL does this already in their draft and it allowed McDavid to start playing a year earlier than most.
Old 03-14-2017, 06:26 PM   #302
PugnaciousIntern
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I disagree. Increasing the draft eligibility age serves to dramatically increase the probability of success for amateur scouting. That is an extremely valuable return for every NHL team.
Is it really valuable though? It can't be a competitive advantage if all parties get the same advantage.

I do agree it would probably be more resource efficient, as you don't waste as much time sending scouts to check out random 16 year old players who turn out to flop.

The incentive of playing in the NHL also probably attracts these players to the NHL, even if they're a long shot. If these players had opportunities to get established in other pro leagues, perhaps the NHL actually loses part of its ability to attract talent.
PugnaciousIntern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 11:48 AM   #303
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Mar 22, 2017

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/3...o-brent-burns/

Keeping it short today

Flames Notes:

Quote:
5. Edmonton’s Josh Healey, who plays at Ohio State, has been suspended for the first two games of the NCAA Tournament. That means he's now been suspeneded five times for contact-to-the-head penalties since Nov. 2015. I don’t think NHL teams are concerned, feeling some of those hits wouldn’t be penalized at the pro level. If Ohio State wins twice this weekend, he can return for the Frozen Four. If not, he’ll go to the next level. At one time, all four Western Canadian teams were interested. It sounds like Healey’s down to a short list. I think Calgary is there, although the Flames won’t comment. But they aren’t the only ones.
Already being discussed ad naseum in another thread.

League Notes:
Quote:
11. Lots of hoopla over Commissioner Gary Bettman’s “assume we’re not going to the Olympics” comment from Tuesday. “Assume we’re not going,” is different than “We are not going.” It’s getting late, but the patient has yet to flatline. I still assume everyone comes to their senses.

One thing that the NHL says it will not consider: allowing a certain number of players per team to go if the league does not (officially) participate. It does not feel that is a proper solution.
Another topic already in discussion. While I understand the NHL's stance and position on it, I think it would be a disservice to not have the NHL players there.
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 02:57 PM   #304
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Mar 28, 2017

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/3...olden-knights/

Flames Notes:

Quote:
15. The Flames are loading up on young goalies and defencemen. Last week, they signed 2016 second-rounder Tyler Parsons, who backstopped London to the 2016 Memorial Cup and the United States to 2017 world junior gold. Brian Elliott and Chad Johnson are free agents at the NHL level, but Calgary now has five goalies at the AHL and below with NHL potential. Jon Gillies and David Rittich are at AHL Stockton; Mason McDonald is at ECHL Adirondack; Parsons is still in junior as is Nick Schneider with Medicine Hat (so you know Kelly Hrudey loves him).

“Gillies and Rittich are getting closer to playing in the NHL, but I’d rather cook them for another year if we have to than jam them in,” GM Brad Treliving said Monday. “The biggest challenge in goal is finding enough spots for everyone. Is there enough net? A goalie can do well in the ECHL, you’re fine down there. The real question is Parsons. He’ll have played three years of junior, won a Memorial Cup, a world juniors and there is potential for another run now. You don’t want to rush someone, but you do want to challenge him. At the end of the day, you always rather not enough spots than not enough players.”
Love our stable of tenders. I think one of Parsons/Gillies becomes our franchise tender.

Quote:
16. On defence, Calgary is discussing signing Boston University’s Brandon Hickey, a third-rounder in 2014 who has one more year of college eligibility. They just snared NCAA free agent blueliner Jake Healey. They are pretty deep at the NHL level, although there will be free agency questions. Those two join a prospect pool that includes Rasmus Andersson, Brett Kulak, Oliver Kylington and Adam Ollas Mattsson, who just came overseas on an AHL tryout. (The Flames are also excited about Adam Fox, going to the Frozen Four with Harvard.)

“When we got here, the plan was to build down the middle, with goalies, defencemen and centres,” Treliving said. “We’ve talked about goalies. You’d like to have a big four on defence. We have (Mark) Giordano, Dougie (Hamilton) and T.J. Brodie. We’ll see who that fourth is, whether we bring back Michael Stone or it’s somebody else. Ideally, you allow for two kids, maybe one on the third pair and an extra. But the plan is to let them marinate. You don’t have to rush them, although it’s contingent on what we do here. What it gives you is options and depth. They can come and play here, or they give you the opportunity to find other things you need.”

With all of the cooking analogies, I’m betting Treliving spends a lot of his free time watching Chopped.
As much grief as Tre has taken in the beginning of the year, I think he's proved himself to be a solid GM, by restocking our cupboards with the right approach.

Quote:
17. Treliving did indicate he wants to bring back Deryk Engelland, who is a free agent. But, he probably has to sort out the fourth defenceman first, and I can see him not wanting to disrupt an improving, more confident club by picking only one potential contract to solve now.
Awesome, if he comes for the right price

League Notes:

A handful, but I'm too lazy to post.
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to manwiches For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2017, 03:41 PM   #305
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finger cookin with Brad. He is on the phone alot. That deserves a JPEG.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote