Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-12-2017, 09:13 PM   #1
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default The 59th annual Grammy awards.

That Bruno Mars tribute to prince was pretty awesome.
Old 02-12-2017, 09:33 PM   #2
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Whoever was in charge of making sure the microphones work is getting fired.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 09:49 PM   #3
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know that most folks go crazy for anything the Beyonce does but what the hell was that performance all about today? I just don't get it.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 10:26 PM   #4
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I know that most folks go crazy for anything the Beyonce does but what the hell was that performance all about today? I just don't get it.
Can't stand her. Never have. I don't understand why anyone goes crazy for anything she does. As soon as I saw it start, we changed the channel. Barf. This whole Fecund Mother Earth Goddess The Most Pregnant That's Ever Pregnant-ed No-one Else Is This Kind of Special Pregnant Queen Uterus of Mankind ridiculousness of late just takes the freaking cake. So you're pregnant. Big deal. Now we all know you've had sex with JayZ twice. Whooptidoo.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Minnie For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2017, 10:55 PM   #5
Mightyfire89
And I Don't Care...

Exp:

Metallica and Lady Gaga was pretty awesome (mic issues notwithstanding) but outside of that it was a limp affair overall.
Old 02-12-2017, 11:31 PM   #6
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
Whoever was in charge of making sure the microphones work is getting fired.
Yup, that was pretty brutal.
Old 02-13-2017, 12:48 AM   #7
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyfire89 View Post
Metallica and Lady Gaga was pretty awesome (mic issues notwithstanding) but outside of that it was a limp affair overall.
They even played Master of Puppets when Megadeth won their award. Poor Dave. lol
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Inferno For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2017, 06:17 AM   #8
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

My friend was up for a Grammy in the remix category, sadly didn't win. Maybe next year!
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 08:55 AM   #9
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
Can't stand her. Never have. I don't understand why anyone goes crazy for anything she does. As soon as I saw it start, we changed the channel. Barf. This whole Fecund Mother Earth Goddess The Most Pregnant That's Ever Pregnant-ed No-one Else Is This Kind of Special Pregnant Queen Uterus of Mankind ridiculousness of late just takes the freaking cake. So you're pregnant. Big deal. Now we all know you've had sex with JayZ twice. Whooptidoo.
I don't think her music is very interesting, but that was freaky good performance art. Visually amazing.

A Tribe Called Quest killed it. Agent Orange. We The People! Resist! The deplorables were complaining loudly on twitter about them making a political statement.

Didn't know Bruno could play guitar like that. Morris Day and The Time was cool.

Adele was moving in paying tribute to George Michael, and declining her award in favour of Beyonce.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2017, 09:39 AM   #10
me_dennis
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Bruno Mars is an amazing artist. I went to his concert a few years ago, and he can play guitar, drums, piano. He also does a good Elvis performance as well.. One of my favorite artists.
me_dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to me_dennis For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2017, 10:03 AM   #11
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

With the exception of Adele, none of the best albums of the year were nominated, so I didn't watch. In fact, some pretty poor albums were being celebrated pretty hard.

Maybe I'll see if the Bruno Mars and Metallica performances have been taken down from Youtube yet.
Old 02-13-2017, 10:50 AM   #12
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Okay, just watched the Bruno Mars Prince tribute, and it was not bad at all. The Time is still a great band, and Mars one of the few performers that could pull that off.

Surprised at how Lady Gaga allowed herself to play a metal performance that identifiable in terms of stage presence. Entertaining show (mic problems aside). Hetfield isn't supposed to sing anymore, and does it anyway, but I would watch a complete concert with Lady Gaga taking over the vocals. It takes serious pipes to sing that style of metal.

Speaking of metal, I watched the acceptance speech for Megadeth (to which they had Master of Puppets as the walk up song), and almost the entire audience was gone by that point. Rock song came after. Might as well rename this the Ryan Seacrest top 10 awards. Very disrespectful by the entire community. WTF. Most of what I thought were the best songs of the year belonged to what would be though of as Adult Alternative (CBC2 type stuff), and I'm beginning to see why none of it was nominated.

The Grammys are nothing but a marketing gimmick, bought and paid for, and I don't know why it still has the cache that it does. The longevity?
Old 02-13-2017, 03:57 PM   #13
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
Okay, just watched the Bruno Mars Prince tribute, and it was not bad at all. The Time is still a great band, and Mars one of the few performers that could pull that off.

Surprised at how Lady Gaga allowed herself to play a metal performance that identifiable in terms of stage presence. Entertaining show (mic problems aside). Hetfield isn't supposed to sing anymore, and does it anyway, but I would watch a complete concert with Lady Gaga taking over the vocals. It takes serious pipes to sing that style of metal.

Speaking of metal, I watched the acceptance speech for Megadeth (to which they had Master of Puppets as the walk up song), and almost the entire audience was gone by that point. Rock song came after. Might as well rename this the Ryan Seacrest top 10 awards. Very disrespectful by the entire community. WTF. Most of what I thought were the best songs of the year belonged to what would be though of as Adult Alternative (CBC2 type stuff), and I'm beginning to see why none of it was nominated.

The Grammys are nothing but a marketing gimmick, bought and paid for, and I don't know why it still has the cache that it does. The longevity?
Rock as a genre has been gone from the Grammys and popular music for years. It's even a separate awards section outside the main event now for many of the categories. They might as well stick it with the classical music and jazz awards. Advertisers and the industry just don't care about it.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 05:04 PM   #14
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Surprised at how Lady Gaga allowed herself to play a metal performance that identifiable in terms of stage presence.
She's apparently a metal fan and would rather be referred to as the next Iron Maiden instead of the next Madonna.

I guess the whole idea started when she went to a party at Bradley Cooper's place and Lars was there and they got to talking. I'm glad she's atleast a fan and not someone who has never been to a show in their life.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...-10466020.html
Old 02-13-2017, 06:27 PM   #15
Magnum PEI
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Do people still pay attention to the Grammy's? I don't think I could tell you any winners from the past five years.
Hotline Bling is basically the worst song in recording history and Drake can't sing or rap or write good lyrics, even though he probably used several ghost writers.

Rock is pretty much dead. The nominees an winners are really dreadful and that Cage the Elephant song sounds like they combined Where is My Mind? with the guitar run from Pink Floyd's Echoes. Basically the Arcade Fire are the only decent mainstream band left.
Magnum PEI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 11:52 PM   #16
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just watched it on pvr. Bruno Mars and Chance were awesome.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2017, 03:06 AM   #17
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
With the exception of Adele, none of the best albums of the year were nominated, so I didn't watch. In fact, some pretty poor albums were being celebrated pretty hard.

Maybe I'll see if the Bruno Mars and Metallica performances have been taken down from Youtube yet.
Apparently you are racist if you believe Adele had a better album than Beyonce. Gag.
Old 02-14-2017, 07:41 AM   #18
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
I don't think her music is very interesting, but that was freaky good performance art. Visually amazing.

A Tribe Called Quest killed it. Agent Orange. We The People! Resist! The deplorables were complaining loudly on twitter about them making a political statement.

Didn't know Bruno could play guitar like that. Morris Day and The Time was cool.

Adele was moving in paying tribute to George Michael, and declining her award in favour of Beyonce.
Tribe was outstanding.
The beautiful part of being a musician artist is your statement, should you choose to express one, comes as an expression of your art, unlike actors who just go the podium and spout nonsense.
EldrickOnIce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 08:19 AM   #19
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum PEI View Post
Rock is pretty much dead.
Never.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post: