Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2016, 01:17 PM   #81
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

1979 is one of those songs that will make me leave the room. I absolutely despise it.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 01:29 PM   #82
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ok everyone, I went back and put my videos in spoiler tags. If you still have the ability to edit, can you please go back and do the same? Some people are having a hard time viewing the thread.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2016, 03:14 PM   #83
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

I love 90s music and still listen to it quite a bit. Here are my favourites:

The Smalls, Dan-Diddle-A-Na. When they did their reunion tour in 2014 I was over the moon. Hadn't been as excited to see a band since the Pixies reunited in the early 2000s (even though I've seen The Smalls countless times already).
Spoiler!

Bad Religion. Pretty much anything, but here's Do What You Want.
Spoiler!

Alright, and another Bad Religion. Fertile Crescent.
Spoiler!

Pennywise. Every Time.
Spoiler!

NOFX. I Believe in Goddess
Spoiler!

Offspring. No Hero.
Spoiler!

Tool. Prison Sex.
Spoiler!

Nirvana. Lounge Act.
Spoiler!

Alice in Chains. Man in the Box.
Spoiler!

Nine Inch Nails. Wish
Spoiler!

Blind Melon (very underrated band, BTW). Toes Across the Floor.
Spoiler!

SNFU. Don't Have the Cow.
Spoiler!

Hole. Jennifer's Body.
Spoiler!

Suicidal Tendencies. War Inside My Head.
Spoiler!

And some Calgary love:

Chixdiggit. Shadowy Bangers from a Shadowy Duplex
Spoiler!

A-Team. I'm a Truck
Spoiler!

Last edited by Sliver; 03-24-2016 at 03:17 PM.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 05:07 PM   #84
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Nah, we're crushing the system with all the youtube videos.

Also, how do you post a bunch of Hip videos and not include Grace, Too?
Nautical Disaster is the greatest Hip song, so he picked wisely. The guy that picked Self Esteem and Come out and Play from the Offspring?
Spoiler!

Last edited by V; 03-24-2016 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Spoiler!
V is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to V For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2016, 05:12 PM   #85
Magnum PEI
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Ok everyone, I went back and put my videos in spoiler tags. If you still have the ability to edit, can you please go back and do the same? Some people are having a hard time viewing the thread.
Went back and edited, but I was under the impression the videos load anyways even though they're hidden and the best thing to do is post links or limit to one or two videos per post.
Magnum PEI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 05:32 PM   #86
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is the problem with the videos auto playing? I thought that feature could be disabled through flash / shockwave settings.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 07:03 PM   #87
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
Peaches - #### the pain away ("won't someone help this poor women")
Spoiler!
Nitpick: The Teaches of Peaches album is from 2000. (And most people probably heard it after 2003, when this song was in Lost in Translation.)

Anyway, I've discovered a ton of 90's music later on, but I've tried to focus on stuff that I actually listened to back then.

First, international edition:

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
Spoiler!

Tom Waits
Spoiler!

Faith No More, obviously. (Yeah I know, never as big in the NA as they were in Europe. Your loss )
Spoiler!

Moloko. Damn these sounds are still the coolest
Spoiler!

Never really fell for Massive Attack for some reason, but Tricky from the same scene really blew my mind. (I guess Tricky is more trippy musically, Massive Attack is more pop.)
Spoiler!
Spoiler!

Rammstein, Live aus Berlin. All the things you could never do live in America (NSFW!) Outside of the shock value, they were a fantastic live band in their prime.
Spoiler!

Morphine.
Spoiler!

Mick Harvey's two fantastic Serge Gainsbourg cover albums.
Spoiler!

Could go on for hours. Blood Sugar Sex Magik by RHCP, The Matrix soundtrack, Metallica, RATM, Prodigy... But really the biggest things for me were certain Finnish and Nordic bands/artists that you've never heard of. I'll put those in a separate post for the curious
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2016, 07:20 PM   #88
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

^Itse, I too was very into Tricky. Those two tracks are some of my all time favorites. If you're into him check out this side project he did called Nearly God. This track might be the best thing he's ever done....maybe.

Spoiler!
Old 03-24-2016, 07:46 PM   #89
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had a huge crush on Bjork in the 90s. So much so that I went for a girl in high school just because she looked very much like Bjork. However, she was an amazing artist who came out with some exceptional music in that era. Still one of the most interesting and exceptional vocalists I've ever heard.

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!
Old 03-24-2016, 07:47 PM   #90
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post

NOFX. I Believe in Goddess
Spoiler!
You have excellent taste in music. This song is amazing. But it's from 2012, not the 90s.

As for 90s music, I think it's hard to beat Rancid's ...And Out Come the Wolves album

Spoiler!

NOFX's Punk in Drublic was fantastic as well

Spoiler!

Dropkick Murphy's first record Do or Die came out in 1998

Spoiler!

Guns N' Roses Use Your Illusion records were solid as well, a bit too much filler but some great songs such as November Rain, Don't Cry, Estranged...

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

A lot of people hated The Pogues without Shane MacGowan but I thought Waiting for Herb was a great album, particularly Tuesday Morning. One of their strongest songs and I love Spider Stacy's vocals.

Spoiler!

System of a Down's first album from '99

Spoiler!

blink-182's Enema of the State album was pretty good

Spoiler!

Speaking of blink-182, Tom DeLonge's replacement Matt Skiba's band Alkaline Trio released their first record in the 90s as well

Spoiler!
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 08:10 PM   #91
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not enough metal in this thread.

Spoiler!

Last edited by Senator Clay Davis; 03-24-2016 at 08:13 PM.
Senator Clay Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 08:16 PM   #92
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
A lot of good stuff has already been mentioned. It was a good decade for Canadian groups - particularly Sarah McLachlan, Alanis Morrissette, Spirit of the West, The Odds, The Waltons, Crash Test Dummies. I particularly enjoyed some of the female singer / songwriters that came about then. Joan Osborne, Jewel, Cranberries, Meredith Brooks, Merril Bainbridge, and The Cardigans.

I know it's pretty top 40, but I just have fond memories of emergence of Canadiana and Lilith Fair in the 90s.
Haha haha omg, I was about to build off your joke and say 'don't forget the chick who sang 'I'm a Bitch' since that's the worst song I could think of from the 90s and it would have fit in nicely with your list. Looked up who sang it, and sure enough it's Meredith Brooks. Well played man.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 09:32 PM   #93
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Okay, so the Finnish / Nordic edition.

Ismo Alanko. My great musical love and a true icon of Finnish music, both alternative and mainstream. 40 year career, tons of great lyrics, huge variety of genres.
Spoiler!

CMX. Great band, and excellent for setting the right mood in the alternative scene, if you know what I mean (In the 90's I was a horny teenager, so sue me.)
Spoiler!

YUP. One of the best live bands I've ever seen, and that's including all those international best sellers. Of course, you had to be into really morbid humour and an eclectic hardcore art punk metal pop, or what ever this crazy stuff was These guys, along with the two other artists mentioned above, were a huge reason why the international "alternative" scene of the nineties mostly didn't affect me much. The Finnish scene was already so far out in musical experimentation and generally more hardcore. Plus the lyrics were generally just much better if you ask me. Early to mid nineties was a great time to live in Finland in that sense.
Spoiler!

Also, Kingston Wall. Absolutely brilliant prog/acid rock.
Spoiler!

Also from the nineties, an underground phenomenon but important in my circles, the birth of the modern Nordic folk scene. World music with some bite to it, not that hippie stuff and none of the pretend "authenticity". If you were into roleplaying games like I was, you pretty much couldn't miss this stuff.

Btw, did you know that a rather unique feature of the Finnish larp scene is that it has a clear majority of girls/women? (Something like a 2/3 majority I think.) I'm not saying that longs nights of drinking with hot girls who wanted to teach me lyrics to really dirty folk songs is in any way related to my love of folk songs, but okay yes it's obviously related

Garmarna from Sweden:
Spoiler!

Gjallarhorn from Finland:
Spoiler!

And Hedningarna from Sweden and Finland:
Spoiler!
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote