Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2016, 02:04 PM   #21
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Those come in the basic package though, not so bad. Unless I'm wrong anyone thinking they just have to pay for one Sportsnet and one TSN are wrong.
Yes, I mean all the sportsnets and tsns. Although I could get by with just SNW and TSN1.

CBC and City are available for free OTA, why would I want to pay anything for them?
Old 02-18-2016, 03:22 PM   #22
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
That's far too low when everyone isn't subsidizing it. I think the flames lost money running PPV at like $8 per game.

While I agree that 50 cents may be too low- you have to also keep in mind that there was no money coming in from advertisers like Telus, etc.

Part of the issue with only wanting to pay for a few channels is the infrastructure to bring the content into your house doesn't change by much if you have 2 channels instead of 200.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 10:01 AM   #23
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm taking a hard look at this package with the sports; so $39 per month. the internet is the backbone of our home's entertainment now.

We had joy, we had fun, we had a season in the sun, but the wine and the fun like the season is all gone.

Average team is average. Average drafts, average results, average trades, average asset management, average vision, average outcomes. Average.
McG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 10:38 PM   #24
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
Yes, I mean all the sportsnets and tsns. Although I could get by with just SNW and TSN1.

CBC and City are available for free OTA, why would I want to pay anything for them?
Do you own an antenna?
Old 02-22-2016, 07:07 AM   #25
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still don't understand what is happening in December. Will you still have to subscribe to some sort of basic package in order to select individual channels?
Old 02-22-2016, 06:50 PM   #26
pgsieve
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

You can't get this if you are on a service plan which is absolute garbage. Completely goes against what was said to me when I signed up last summer
Old 02-22-2016, 11:15 PM   #27
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
Do you own an antenna?
Yes.
Old 02-23-2016, 11:16 AM   #28
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_fan View Post
I still don't understand what is happening in December. Will you still have to subscribe to some sort of basic package in order to select individual channels?
Yes. If you subscribe at all, you have to have at least the $25 package. That comes from the CRTC, not the providers.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 02:21 PM   #29
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seems like the rest of them are either going to try to sneak it out on Friday night and hope no one notices or wait until the last possible minute.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 01:22 PM   #30
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Some details of Rogers' plans got leaked:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/skin...crtc-1.3462692

The CBC, amusingly, is treating the fact that Rogers' employees are being asked to downplay the $25 package in favour of pushing more expensive deals as if this was news. They are all doing it. It is no coincidence that Shaw's $25 package is hidden below the fold on the website, and that the thumbnails associated with it are CPAC, APTN and The Weather Network.
Old 02-28-2016, 07:27 PM   #31
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

In a shocking development Telus is increasing their rates across the board. Tv phone and Internet. I'm not sure if it is at all related to the new tv package mandate but it wouldn't surprise me.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 11:16 AM   #32
iggyformayor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
In a shocking development Telus is increasing their rates across the board. Tv phone and Internet. I'm not sure if it is at all related to the new tv package mandate but it wouldn't surprise me.
Interesting... I called the other day to see how much time was left on my contract and they gave me $20 off both my TV and internet ($40 total) for the next 6 months, so I'm pretty happy.
iggyformayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 01:03 PM   #33
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

I just received 6 months of Shaw's popular tv package (2 levels up from "limited") for $30. I assume it's purposeful, and a good play if it is. Lessen the initial wave of people that would pay $25, and hopefully they forget and pay the $60 once the 6 months is up.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 09:38 AM   #34
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hah.. The Telus 'package' is terrible. By my count, 11 English channels. Moving to Shaw!
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 10:59 AM   #35
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

lol. Telus is really acting to discourage a switch. They advertise a different package as cheaper, using the deceptive intro pricing, then only allow you to go with their skinny package if you call them. The other plans have online ordering.
Old 03-01-2016, 02:49 PM   #36
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
lol. Telus is really acting to discourage a switch. They advertise a different package as cheaper, using the deceptive intro pricing, then only allow you to go with their skinny package if you call them. The other plans have online ordering.
Shaw is really doing something right with their online messaging system to their sales reps. I got connected to someone right away and they had my package switched within a few minutes
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 08:26 PM   #37
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Just dealing with Shaw right now. They're really fighting me hard on making the reduction to Limited TV.

Tried to claim I'm not allowed to downgrade as per my service agreement. I had no idea what the guy was talking about so I asked for clarification. He claims because I'm getting the $15 rental fee for the PVR deducted until Sept 2017 that I'm not eligible to drop below Personal TV. The $15 off was a peace offering after they showed up for my install date with wrong equipment.

I say I never agreed to those terms. He got real snotty saying those were the terms I agreed to and offered to send me the service agreement.

I said sure, send it to me. 10 minutes later he comes back saying.... yeah so you never had a service agreement attached to the promotion... so you're allowed to change your plan after all...

Now he's giving me the spiel about how many channels I'll lose. I can live without 50 duplicate and/or SD channels if I'm saving $21.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote