Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2015, 07:14 AM   #21
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Its also poor running ettiquete to put yourself infront of faster runners and a good way to get run over by people who are racing.

If you are new to running events you will learn after a few events how to eyeball where to seed yourself appropriately. It can be quite dangerous as the speed discrepancy of front of pack runners can be significant compared to a midpack runner who has placed themselves too far forward. Its a goodway to get yourself runover by a pack as runner more than 1 or 2 behind you cant see you and when ther person beyind you dodges you, the next person goes right into your. Dont under estimtate he discrepancy and closing speed difference between a 5min/km pace and a 4 or less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
This time, position yourself near other runners that run the same pace as you. That way you don't have to run through slower people. That is poor running etiquette.
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 07:53 AM   #22
flamesgirl18
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
The Oatmeal's enthusiasm for running is pretty well known so you may have seen this before, but now that we're down to the final few days, it's a good review for your race checklist:

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/marathon_do

I've never gone full marathon distance, but I've still experienced most of these things, particularly the self-waterboarding at drink stations and interaction with better/worse runners.
Speaking of the Oatmeal and running, I just saw that they started up their own marathon and I think I may be adding this to my list of future races

http://www.beattheblerch.com/
flamesgirl18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 10:25 AM   #23
jeffporfirio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Question related to the Marathon.
My kids are taking part in the kid's marathon (10 AM start time), and my wife insists we drive there (stroller, bags, etc.). We are coming in from the NW.

Does anyone have any past experience on what would be the best route to get there, and where to park?
Thanks
jeffporfirio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 11:21 AM   #24
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco.vidal View Post
Its also poor running ettiquete to put yourself infront of faster runners and a good way to get run over by people who are racing.
Well yeah. But I can tell you it's a pretty good bet that OP should've been certain that he's faster than a family with kids and therefore should've placed himself in front of those people. Just sayin'.
Old 05-30-2015, 07:30 PM   #25
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

11 hours to start time...by now we've all picked up our race packages, tapered(?) and are having a go-to final dinner. I do best with Neapolitan pizza for some reason, which is perfect for finding yet another reason to eat pizza. seems to cause the fewest err...on course problems.

Anyone else got jitters yet? Don't worry, there's at least a few thousand others that are simultaneously chewing their nails off in anticipation.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 08:43 PM   #26
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffporfirio View Post
Question related to the Marathon.
My kids are taking part in the kid's marathon (10 AM start time), and my wife insists we drive there (stroller, bags, etc.). We are coming in from the NW.

Does anyone have any past experience on what would be the best route to get there, and where to park?
Thanks
Ignore your wife and take the train, in any event with masses of people completing for parking the train is easier.

That said

I would try to park in the gravel lot outside the dome or on street on 12th ave or 11th ave west of 1st SE. For a route check the closures on the website and avoid crossing any of the route. I think the center street bridge is a good choice to get inside the race path downtown as the race course goes under it.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 09:08 PM   #27
Clarkey
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Is it true they won't let you use headphones??
Clarkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 09:40 PM   #28
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkey View Post
Is it true they won't let you use headphones??
Nah half the people there will have them on. The only time you'll really get in trouble is if you cause a collision or go off course cause your music is too loud.

Many people are able to just focus on running and get in the zone without tunes. I'm not one of them...need my awesome mix to get through this early morning Iditarod through heck.
Old 05-31-2015, 03:32 PM   #29
pgsieve
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

That was quite hot. I'm really interested to hear the number of DNFs. Lost my lunch about 4 times from the heat
Old 05-31-2015, 05:02 PM   #30
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I was too close to blacking out at the finish line to barf, but I did see a girl making velociraptor sounds into a garbage bag, putting the bag down to do a cute pose for the race photographers, then picking the bag up again to resume the exorcism.

and this was just for the half, which mostly missed the quickly rising heat. you guys that grinded out the full and ultra, especially with those evil hills after 17th ave, I salute you.
Old 05-31-2015, 05:45 PM   #31
Guest1

I heard the guy that was supposed to win it got DQ'd because he only did 41 km.
Old 05-31-2015, 07:06 PM   #32
Harju
Backup Goalie

Exp:

As I heard (with nothing to confirm this) where the course heads north down 14 St SW it turns east into Mount Royal then makes it way back to 14th. Two runners kept going straight down 14th and back onto the course a few blocks later.
Harju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 07:07 PM   #33
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...fied-1.3094795
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 01:31 PM   #34
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puxlut View Post
I heard the guy that was supposed to win it got DQ'd because he only did 41 km.
My parents actually had him over the night before the race for dinner, as he was billeting with neighbours 2 doors down from their place.

I feel awful for the guy. My dad even asked him "so what makes Kenyans so good at marathons?", to which he replied "It's because we need the money". First prize was $3500 for this marathon.
MillerTime GFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 01:38 AM   #35
pgsieve
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I personally don't see how they miss that turn. The whole course is covered in pylons and it was wildly obvious that you had to turn. I remember thinking to myself that it would sure be nice to keep going as I had no interest in a very unnecessary diversion on the road, but my moral compass told me to follow the rules.

If they were truly "mixed up" I hope they never run trail. If you can't follow a set of obvious pylons, good luck following some back country ribbon every 50 meters or so
Old 06-02-2015, 07:50 AM   #36
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Not just the pylons, but there's a motorcycle leading the pack that's supposed to show you where to go. There's also all the volunteers and spotters along the road, so it's hard to imagine missing the turn unless he was really out of it.

For the half marathon, I saw a guy cheat by crossing over the Memorial drive median long before the actual turnaround point. Why would you do that in front of hundreds of people? I mean nobody really cares since he's not in contention to win, but guy just wasted the $90 registration fee and a perfectly good weekend sleep-in for that.
The Following User Says Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2015, 08:03 AM   #37
Arsenal14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

My understanding is that the motorcycle had turned off 14th already with the lead runner and that the two guys who missed the turn were not in front before that. So, they probably ended up ahead of the motorcycle when it got back onto 14th. I've also heard that the volunteers had moved the barricade on 14th to let traffic go through and hadn't moved it back, which is why those two runners thought they were supposed to continue straight. Who knows. I just have a hard time believing that two elite marathon runners would decide to cheat in an obvious way.
Arsenal14 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Arsenal14 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2015, 08:31 AM   #38
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsenal14 View Post
My understanding is that the motorcycle had turned off 14th already with the lead runner and that the two guys who missed the turn were not in front before that. So, they probably ended up ahead of the motorcycle when it got back onto 14th. I've also heard that the volunteers had moved the barricade on 14th to let traffic go through and hadn't moved it back, which is why those two runners thought they were supposed to continue straight. Who knows. I just have a hard time believing that two elite marathon runners would decide to cheat in an obvious way.
That's what I understood too. Especially considering that the marathon organizers are trying to make amends with the disqualified runners, from CBC article:

Quote:
The Calgary Marathon Society plans to fully compensate the other two men who travelled a long distance to get to the race.

"We feel badly they came all this way, and they were clearly front runners in this race, and we'll make sure they're taken care of," said Fleming.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote