Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2015, 07:54 AM   #1
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Federal Politics 2015 Thread

Making a new thread because the title of the last one was misleading.

In any event, the news today is that Ontario MP Eve Adams is crossing the floor to the Libs.

You may recall her name in a nomination scandal.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/eve-...arty-1.2950048

As odd as this sounds, I don't think this hurts the Conservatives that much. The conservatives will spin this as getting rid of a bad egg. The Libs must have been polling at low numbers and figure this was their chance to have a shot in the riding.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:22 AM   #2
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
The Libs must have been polling at low numbers and figure this was their chance to have a shot in the riding.
An equally probable (or even more likely) interpretation is that the Conservatives were polling badly in the riding and Adams saw floor-crossing as her only hope for re-election.
MarchHare is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MarchHare For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2015, 08:31 AM   #3
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post
An equally probable (or even more likely) interpretation is that the Conservatives were polling badly in the riding and Adams saw floor-crossing as her only hope for re-election.
Good point, but remember that she still does not have a Conservative nomination for next election. She lost her bid to win the nomination.

When I see a party's brass getting in the way or making a sitting MP (or any other politician) fight it out for a nomination, my thoughts are that the MP is being pushed out.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:44 AM   #4
starseed
First Line Centre

Exp:

I would much prefer Navdeep Bains run again.

The only thing positive for Trudeau is supporting the narrative that the Conservative government is toxic and prone to bad policy making. Eve leaving can be spun as people continuing to abandon a ship whose leadership is steering it into an iceberg.

Quote:
In a prepared statement, Adams said she initially signed up to run for the Conservatives to improve the lives of Canadians.
Instead, she said, the government "is about to roll out policies like income splitting, which will devour the surplus without benefitting many Canadian families, or creating a single job."
"Even Canada's former finance minister, Jim Flaherty — a Progressive Conservative from Ontario — could not support the impact and the waste of income splitting," she noted.
As a result, she said, "I can no longer support mean-spirited leadership that divides people instead of bringing them together," she said.
starseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:48 AM   #5
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

You'd think she could have come up with a more piercing reason. That just sounds like she left because he's a big meanie.
Frequitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:49 AM   #6
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

lol, "prepared statement" alright. That entire thing is right out of the Liberal handbook, naturally.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:51 AM   #7
crazy_eoj
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
Good point, but remember that she still does not have a Conservative nomination for next election. She lost her bid to win the nomination.

When I see a party's brass getting in the way or making a sitting MP (or any other politician) fight it out for a nomination, my thoughts are that the MP is being pushed out.
Her fiance (maybe husband now I'm not sure) Dmitri Soudas lost his job as executive director of the Conservative Party after interfering in her nomination bid.

Doesn't sound like someone you really want on your team, and she's likely just grasping at something to attempt to remain in parliament. I'm somewhat surprised Trudeau would welcome her into the fold.
crazy_eoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 09:08 AM   #8
starseed
First Line Centre

Exp:

OK, sounds like she won't be contesting for the candidacy of Bains' riding. She will try for an open nomination somewhere else in the GTA.
starseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 09:26 AM   #9
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think that this is a loss for the CPC at all. She wasn't likely to win her nomination and with that scandal about the nomination its probably addition by subtraction for them.

I don't see how this is straight out of the Liberal play book as Resolute puts it, but whatever. She should have to sit as an independent until the next election and then try her luck as a Liberal if she wants at that point.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2015, 10:17 AM   #10
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was invited to see Trudeau speak at the Calgary Petro Club last Friday. I was hoping to come away from it more assured of Trudeau but that was not the case. Bullet points that I can remember (after weeding through all the jargon and crap).

- Canada needs to gain back public trust from failing to meet agrred upon and promised environmental regulations.

- Need for a federally implemented carbon tax system. Some provinces already use them, but needs to evolve into a federal system, likened it to healthcare.

- Federal needs to look to provinces and municipalities for innovative ideas and implement them on a national level

- Has to include First Nations and all affected citizens when putting through projects like pipelines.

- Most important thing is getting Canada's resources to market effectively and safely.

All in all he said some good things, but again, only if you can read between the lines of all the crowd pandering. They opened it up to Q/A and he answered a few questions (including my own) but once the questions were asked, he went right back into speech-mode and didn't even look at the questioner. And again, would answer the question but do so while regurgitating lines from his written speech and being quite vague about somethings. my question was "You talked a lot about gaining public trust in Canada for getting things like pipelines put in and projects supported, but how are you going to gain 'public trust' in the US/internationally, as it's the US that is blocking Keystone, not us." He basically answered that we needed to show that we can self-regulate and make good on our promises to the international community before we can gain back trust in the Canadian government and oil companies globally. Which is fine, but again he took like 3 minutes to say that. Cut the crap!

Look, I understand the need for politicians to try and appeal to a wide range of people, but when you're in a room of a couple hundred people, mostly well-versed in O&G, speak to us like adults who know what you're talking about, not like a crowd of thousands of people that you are trying to rile up. As someone who is looking for a reason to give Trudeau a chance other than "better than the cons!", it left a lot t be desired. I didn't come away knowing anything new about him, and he gave no reason for anyone conservative, or even a fence sitter, to go to his side. You're in a room full of mostly conservatives, you might as well swing for the fences, tell us what you really think and what your plans are, and you might bring some people to your side. Worst case scenario, you don't change anyone's mind.

I chatted with a buddy on the way out who is a conservative and he said that "you may disagree with Harper, but at least you know where he stands and can make an informed decision based on that." And I have to agree. I would be interested in talking to Trudeau face-to-face to see what he's really like, because you get no gauge on him at all when he's got a mic in his face. I have to say I left rather disappointed.

Last edited by Coach; 02-09-2015 at 10:20 AM.
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Coach For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2015, 10:22 AM   #11
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

If she could win her nomination she would still be a loyal Conservative, she can't so now Harper is a meanie. Surprised the Liberals want her with the recent controversies.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 10:23 AM   #12
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I don't think that this is a loss for the CPC at all. She wasn't likely to win her nomination and with that scandal about the nomination its probably addition by subtraction for them.

I don't see how this is straight out of the Liberal play book as Resolute puts it, but whatever. She should have to sit as an independent until the next election and then try her luck as a Liberal if she wants at that point.
she's no big loss to the conservatives and that press conference was just incredibly awkward with the whole Harper is a big meanie stuff coming across as sour grapes desperation by her to stay relevant.

She's the wrong kind of focus for the Liberals to throw a press conference with.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 10:47 AM   #13
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post

Dude, reading comprehension. I said her prepared statement was right out of the Liberal playbook. It hit on pretty much every major talking point Trudeau and his handlers have been pushing for months now. That is also, as I noted, pretty natural. If a Liberal crossed to the CPC, you'd see the standard conservative talking points in the statement.
Old 02-09-2015, 02:51 PM   #14
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, I never really like the idea of crossing the floor. If you can no longer support the party, then sit as an independent until election time.

Any time it happens, no matter what party it is, I can't help but think there are some type of shenanigans involved. It's just my suspicious nature I suppose.

I also don't like how the leaders then parade the person in front of the media like they just won a prize. A simple press release like; "we welcome so and so to the party" should be good enough.
Old 02-09-2015, 03:02 PM   #15
Simon96Taco
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Hope not to derail, but I am a total ignoramus when it comes to politics (Canadian, or otherwise). I would like to know more, and be able to speak intelligently about it. Aside from the obvious internet shortcuts like Wikipedia, is there any single resource that would be recommended by CP'ers in the know to bring one's self up to speed on Canadian politics? I'm not just talking about current events, but more about structure, mechanics, rules etc. The current events part will come to place once I understand better how it all works!

I'm not expecting to become an expert in an hour sort of thing, but would love if there was something targeted at people like me.
Simon96Taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 03:14 PM   #16
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^ You can always dig through parl.gc.ca to learn the basics of how it works.
http://www.parl.gc.ca/About/Parliame...ernment-e.html
http://www.parl.gc.ca/About/Parliame...oc/index-e.htm
http://www.parl.gc.ca/marleaumontpet...q=2&Language=E
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jacks For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2015, 03:21 PM   #17
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

That's not a dig brother, its a battlestation.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 04:04 PM   #18
automaton 3
First Line Centre

Exp:

Adams is toxic politically and from her recent shenanigans, seems to be struggling personally.

I'm surprised that the Liberals allowed her to join them, let alone parade her out to sit next to Justin at a press conference.

Personally I think this hurts them more than it helps them.
automaton 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 04:22 PM   #19
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Oh, this gunna be good...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/eve-...rper-1.2950708

Quote:
Conservative sources said Adams assured Harper she wanted to get past her previous nomination issues and would bring new members to the party if he let her run.

According to sources, she also assured the prime minister that she and her fiancé, Dimitri Soudas, were finished.

The sources said Harper leaned toward Adams and told her he knew Soudas was sitting in the hotel lobby waiting for her. He then informed her that the party's national council deals with nominations and, with that, the meeting was over.
Old 02-09-2015, 04:25 PM   #20
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Oh, and you suck when CBC comment threads run pro-CPC/anti-Liberal in response to the story. Trudeau may well have misjudged this one.