Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-25-2015, 06:05 PM   #2201
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
non bike people are shocked when I tell them $300 will buy them a crappy bike.
and this is a horribly difficult concept for me to digest as well. In the 90s, I had the top of the line Mongoose that I used to compete on. Full rigid indestructable steel beast, it took 2 years of daily commuting and weekly BMX/DJ abuse before a wheel even went out of true. $200, new from the store.

Getting back into bikes, I really needed to ride the $400 bike before I could justify opening the purse strings to get something I like (to figure out what I actually want). IMO, there is something seriously wrong with the bicycle industry. I still don't get how OEMs can develop a Rockey Thunderbolt MSL 799 at the same price point as a Kawasaki Ninja 1000abs. Bicycle pricing is a friggin joke.
Old 05-25-2015, 06:30 PM   #2202
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Part of the issue is the way tariffs work. I can't remember the details, but if it is under a certain price, it gets one tariff, and above it is classified different. So there are almost no bikes in the price range that people actually want, mostly because of tariffs.
Old 05-25-2015, 06:44 PM   #2203
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracher View Post
and this is a horribly difficult concept for me to digest as well. In the 90s, I had the top of the line Mongoose that I used to compete on. Full rigid indestructable steel beast, it took 2 years of daily commuting and weekly BMX/DJ abuse before a wheel even went out of true. $200, new from the store.

Getting back into bikes, I really needed to ride the $400 bike before I could justify opening the purse strings to get something I like (to figure out what I actually want). IMO, there is something seriously wrong with the bicycle industry. I still don't get how OEMs can develop a Rockey Thunderbolt MSL 799 at the same price point as a Kawasaki Ninja 1000abs. Bicycle pricing is a friggin joke.
This is the thing for me...I'm not a cyclist (yet). I didn't even know how many variations of bikes there were. I'm not sure how hardcore I'll get into it.

I went to the bike shop downtown and all their recommendations were pushing me closer to the $1000 mark than I wanted to be.

Meanwhile, you can get this:

http://www.sportchek.ca/product/inde...767829.3758110

As a beginner, is it worth it to jump on something at this end of the scale just to get into riding. Even if it doesn't last me that long, I figure I can always get a proper bike once I have more experience and know what to look for. Right now most features and options have me scratching my head anyways.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Old 05-25-2015, 06:59 PM   #2204
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you are really stuck on the price, you are going to get 10x the bike in the used market. Something like this:
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-mountain-bike...ationFlag=true
is much better value. Of course, it is going to take a bit more effort shopping around.
Old 05-25-2015, 08:21 PM   #2205
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ If you are going to look at a used rig then I would look thru the ads at pinkbike.com.

For you guys looking at bikes, I'd recommend thinking more about the kind of bike you want, before buying something. Spending a couple of hundred this year on a rig, then dropping $1,000 next year is not overly efficient. You would be better served dropping the $1,000 today.

I loves bikes and bike related stuff
Old 05-25-2015, 10:33 PM   #2206
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
What is that rubber boot on the seatpost? Is it suspension?

Yeah, if this is what you get in the $300 range, I would go used as well. Also consider goodlife bikes downtown. $150 gets you something to test the waters, maybe tie you over to when the good sales start in late fall/winter.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:46 AM   #2207
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracher View Post
What is that rubber boot on the seatpost? Is it suspension?

Yeah, if this is what you get in the $300 range, I would go used as well. Also consider goodlife bikes downtown. $150 gets you something to test the waters, maybe tie you over to when the good sales start in late fall/winter.
So, against most of the advice here I ended up picking that bike up from sport chek. I figure I can take it back if I don't like it. The price was too attractive to me not to at least try it while its on sale.

One question, I gave it a quick spin around the parking lot -- it seems on some gears there is a bit of a rattling/clicking noise, almost like the chain isnt catching properly or something (I don't know the right terminology to describe it). But then other gears are totally fine, smooth and quiet.

Is this a tuning issue? They did a tune up before I left the store but maybe something isn't set correctly?

I'll give it another spin after work tonight to see specifically where its occurring.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:13 AM   #2208
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
So, against most of the advice here I ended up picking that bike up from sport chek. I figure I can take it back if I don't like it. The price was too attractive to me not to at least try it while its on sale.

One question, I gave it a quick spin around the parking lot -- it seems on some gears there is a bit of a rattling/clicking noise, almost like the chain isnt catching properly or something (I don't know the right terminology to describe it). But then other gears are totally fine, smooth and quiet.

Is this a tuning issue? They did a tune up before I left the store but maybe something isn't set correctly?

I'll give it another spin after work tonight to see specifically where its occurring.
See? That's what you get for buying a sportcheck bike

Sounds like chain rub, can happen on a 5K bike too. Maybe the front derailleur is a bit off? They should adjust it for you.
The Following User Says Thank You to Red For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2015, 09:16 AM   #2209
macker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Do like Conroy and go to Calgary Cycle :

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Calga...le/86330864273
Old 05-26-2015, 09:26 AM   #2210
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's probably a crappy component issue. I also wouldn't trust them to have given it a proper tune, but certainly bring it back and don't leave until they have it shifting properly. If they can't get your money back.

One of the issues with crap components is if you look at the rear cassete when spinning backwards a lot of time it will gyrate. This will cause the chain to hop. It may also be a kink in the shifter cable, or just not tuned properly. The fact is you are always gonig to have these sorts fo issues with cheap components. They just aren't built to the tighter tolerances that good stuff is.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2015, 09:47 AM   #2211
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
It's probably a crappy component issue. I also wouldn't trust them to have given it a proper tune, but certainly bring it back and don't leave until they have it shifting properly. If they can't get your money back.

One of the issues with crap components is if you look at the rear cassete when spinning backwards a lot of time it will gyrate. This will cause the chain to hop. It may also be a kink in the shifter cable, or just not tuned properly. The fact is you are always gonig to have these sorts fo issues with cheap components. They just aren't built to the tighter tolerances that good stuff is.
Yup I guess the other hazard of going to sport chek is you get some teenager tuning it who may or may not know what they're doing.

I'll take it back and see what they say but its not a good first impression that I can't even get the bike home for the first time without a hiccup. I might just straight up get a refund.

Feel free to say I told you so.

So a couple other options I'm considering, any thoughts would be appreciated if anyone has experience with them:

http://thebikeshop.com/product/speci...c-210376-1.htm

and

http://www.calgarycycle.com/bikes/hybrid.asp# (Trek 7.2 FX)

Old 05-26-2015, 09:51 AM   #2212
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't know anything about cycling, more of a motorcycle/motocross guy, but I bought this for my wife this weekend. Is this a good bike for someone who rides around the neighbourhood on pathways and occasionally dirt/grass? I didn't want a crappy tire special, they don't last and I figure this should be good for a decade or more. Thoughts? Got it at cyclepath, they seemed pretty knowledgeable.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/...5/18614/76033/
Old 05-26-2015, 09:55 AM   #2213
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Don't know anything about cycling, more of a motorcycle/motocross guy, but I bought this for my wife this weekend. Is this a good bike for someone who rides around the neighbourhood on pathways and occasionally dirt/grass? I didn't want a crappy tire special, they don't last and I figure this should be good for a decade or more. Thoughts? Got it at cyclepath, they seemed pretty knowledgeable.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/...5/18614/76033/
It's a good step up from Crappy tire. If she doesn't ride it daily it should last a long time. You can always replace worn out components. I had that crankset on my old commuter and it only lasted a year, but I'm a big guy and ride daily. The tires may be a little skinny for off road stuff.
Old 05-26-2015, 09:58 AM   #2214
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
It's a good step up from Crappy tire. If she doesn't ride it daily it should last a long time. You can always replace worn out components. I had that crankset on my old commuter and it only lasted a year, but I'm a big guy and ride daily. The tires may be a little skinny for off road stuff.
I figured this bike would be a decent platform to start from if I needed to upgrade stuff over time. She probably won't wear stuff out very quickly, but I'll keep my eye on it. Is Giant a pretty reputable brand? I'm in the market and thought about getting the men's version of the same bike, the Roam 2.
Old 05-26-2015, 09:59 AM   #2215
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yup I guess the other hazard of going to sport chek is you get some teenager tuning it who may or may not know what they're doing.

I'll take it back and see what they say but its not a good first impression that I can't even get the bike home for the first time without a hiccup. I might just straight up get a refund.

Feel free to say I told you so.

So a couple other options I'm considering, any thoughts would be appreciated if anyone has experience with them:

http://thebikeshop.com/product/speci...c-210376-1.htm

and

http://www.calgarycycle.com/bikes/hybrid.asp# (Trek 7.2 FX)
Either of those would be a big step up. The extra $100 at the bike shop gives disk brakes, which are much better and a little bit of front suspension. Plus you get a bike tuned and supported by professional mechanics which will save you money in the long run.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:01 AM   #2216
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
I figured this bike would be a decent platform to start from if I needed to upgrade stuff over time. She probably won't wear stuff out very quickly, but I'll keep my eye on it. Is Giant a pretty reputable brand? I'm in the market and thought about getting the men's version of the same bike, the Roam 2.
Yes, Giant makes lots of high end bikes, so I suppose there lower end ones would be a good bet. Never looked at them, though. Take it for a test ride and make sure it is comfortable.
Old 05-26-2015, 11:02 AM   #2217
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

I bought the 2006 Giant FCR3 about $499 and the thing is bulletproof. It's been a great commuter. I'd buy another Giant in a heartbeat.
The Following User Says Thank You to Coys1882 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2015, 12:01 PM   #2218
macker
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have always liked Giant but never owned one of their bikes. I think the components they include is what has always impressed me compared to other major bike manufacturers who often include very entry level components even sometimes on their high end bikes. Giant is the biggest in the world for a reason I guess and can leverage this size to offer more bang for the buck. As far as components go they are all made overseas anyways so I don't buy that either.
Old 05-28-2015, 09:57 PM   #2219
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

After a week of research, shopping, and 1 returned piece of junk, I settled on this:

http://www.konaworld.com/dew.cfm

Went to Bowcycle and got a chance to ride a few, this one just felt right to me, and fit my budget. Hopefully its a good choice.

Thanks to all who provided a bit of advice in this thread.

Hopefully the weather allows me to get out and use it this weekend.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Igottago For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2015, 06:16 AM   #2220
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nice! Kona's are good bikes, and being comfortable is very important. i think you will be happy with that. Or decide to drop 5 large next year on some carbon fibre.
Closed Thread