Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2015, 10:26 PM   #521
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

ICYMI: this weekend is KWM's sale. 10-15% off most single malts and wines. Picked up a 20 year-old Glendronach, and looking forward to it tonight.
Old 05-23-2015, 01:14 AM   #522
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Shelf View Post
Another Scotch sale from Co-Op conveniently right before Christmas. Some good prices

Looking at that makes me bitter. Those bottles are mostly double the price where I live. Even without the sale, I look at Highland Park 18 for 123CDN and think that's super cheap. It's on sale right right now here for $225CDN.

Bugger!

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 02:06 AM   #523
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Personally I mainly drink Johnny Walker Black, but I haven't experimented much beyond that (mainly because I really like it)
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 06:38 AM   #524
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post

I'm over super peaty whiskies. My wife gave me Big Peat for Christmas and its damn near undrinkable. Even old favourites Laphroig and Talisker don't do it for me anymore.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 04:04 PM   #525
Bean
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
I'm over super peaty whiskies.

I've recently discovered this of myself as well but have chalked it up to summer being around the corner.

It seems like peat and smoke are best served for cold months. (At least for me I guess.)

Find a way to try a "Laphroaig Project" and see if you really are over peat.
Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 04:13 PM   #526
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's peat and then there's peat. Some of the younger peaty malts are not bad because of peat, but because they are too young and too rough. But I concur on the colder weather being more conducive to good old Islay malts consumption.
Old 05-27-2015, 08:37 PM   #527
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

Heavy peat is one of the reasons I eschewed Single malt scotch for a long time, as any time I was offered it, it was peat city, so I stuck to bourbon. Thanks to the heat maps in this thread and sampling at the local stores, I found that I generally like full-bodied, smooth scotch as my after work, unwind drink, and bourbon for my "Yay, it's the weekend!" drinks.
Old 05-27-2015, 08:58 PM   #528
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

I just started getting into Islay's so I thought I'd poke my head in. Very partial to the Lagavulin 16 year.
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 09:29 AM   #529
rain_e
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daradon View Post
I just started getting into Islay's so I thought I'd poke my head in. Very partial to the Lagavulin 16 year.
It's the perfect mix of every taste and a good price too! My favorite for sure.
rain_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 09:36 AM   #530
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCboicgy View Post
Heavy peat is one of the reasons I eschewed Single malt scotch for a long time, as any time I was offered it, it was peat city, so I stuck to bourbon. Thanks to the heat maps in this thread and sampling at the local stores, I found that I generally like full-bodied, smooth scotch as my after work, unwind drink, and bourbon for my "Yay, it's the weekend!" drinks.
Totally with you on the Bourbon. I love Maker's Mark so much, it just hits all the right notes.
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 10:16 AM   #531
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hmm... I never have really liked bourbon, but maybe I should try it just to see if my taste has changed.

I usually drink cognac neat or with ginger ale/ginger beer if I want a little bit of a kick in terms of flavor. I tried the Camus XO Borderies recently. So good. Kicked the Remy Excellence's ass. I enjoyed it more than the $400 bottle of Camus they had in duty free. I don't think I can justify $250 USD on a bottle of cognac though. but damn does that Camus make me feel like I'm drinking swill.

Next bottle for me probably will be Ardbeg Uigeadail though.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 02:55 PM   #532
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post

Next bottle for me probably will be Ardbeg Uigeadail though.
Waste of money, IMO. Too strong, too rough, too tasteless.

Ardbeg, just like Laphroaig, was always on a heavy peat/heavy salt/little flavour side of the map. So it was not very bright at the best of times. Since LVMH conglomerate took over Ardbeg, its malt quality have gone down considerably and they no longer produce competitive aged single malts older than the statutory minimum age for single malts, which is 7 years, if I am not mistaken. Ardbeg distillery shop is like a fashion store - mostly brand merchandise. They are seemingly taking the same path as Bruichladdich Distillery - cheap whiskeys capitalizing on the "cool" marketing and past brand glory. All other Islay distilleries, even though purchased by large conglomerates, are still trying to maintain the traditional ways of malt production.
Old 05-28-2015, 04:41 PM   #533
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
Waste of money, IMO. Too strong, too rough, too tasteless.

Ardbeg, just like Laphroaig, was always on a heavy peat/heavy salt/little flavour side of the map. So it was not very bright at the best of times. Since LVMH conglomerate took over Ardbeg, its malt quality have gone down considerably and they no longer produce competitive aged single malts older than the statutory minimum age for single malts, which is 7 years, if I am not mistaken. Ardbeg distillery shop is like a fashion store - mostly brand merchandise. They are seemingly taking the same path as Bruichladdich Distillery - cheap whiskeys capitalizing on the "cool" marketing and past brand glory. All other Islay distilleries, even though purchased by large conglomerates, are still trying to maintain the traditional ways of malt production.
Lol, you make it sound like it beat you up and ran off with your bottle of Lagavulin or something.

I've heard the exact comments regarding Alligator and Supernova, but most reviews say 10 yr (Not sure if regular or Blasda) and Uigeadail are very unique and/or a must have for a collection. Any suggestions on where I could go try this out for myself before grabbing a bottle other than scotch tastings? Buchanans seems to have it for like $19 a 1 oz shot ($106 for a full bottle of Uigeadail at KWM, I'd rather risk the full thing vs trying 1 shot prior to purchase; 10 yr is $78). Or a bottle to try around, but preferably below $100?

Yes, I am aware that LV bought and owns Ardbeg and prices have increased due to costs of advertising and there are also criticisms of certain products they advertise.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 07:17 PM   #534
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komskies View Post
Totally with you on the Bourbon. I love Maker's Mark so much, it just hits all the right notes.
Eagle Rare here
Old 05-29-2015, 02:34 PM   #535
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Lol, you make it sound like it beat you up and ran off with your bottle of Lagavulin or something.

I've heard the exact comments regarding Alligator and Supernova, but most reviews say 10 yr (Not sure if regular or Blasda) and Uigeadail are very unique and/or a must have for a collection. Any suggestions on where I could go try this out for myself before grabbing a bottle other than scotch tastings? Buchanans seems to have it for like $19 a 1 oz shot ($106 for a full bottle of Uigeadail at KWM, I'd rather risk the full thing vs trying 1 shot prior to purchase; 10 yr is $78). Or a bottle to try around, but preferably below $100?

Yes, I am aware that LV bought and owns Ardbeg and prices have increased due to costs of advertising and there are also criticisms of certain products they advertise.
I wouldn't pay too much attention to some of the reviews, they are an integral part of the marketing campaign. Most of the review sites are funded/sponsored by the distillers, so their impartiality is questionable at best. Regardless, reviews of Scotch are always subjective anyway. You need to either form your own opinion or follow a reviewer whose taste preferences you share.

Go to KWM and talk to Andrew. Since he's taken over the ownership of the store, he offers tasting samples of most spirits. Within reason, of course, and not for too rare/expensive stuff. He did let me taste some of the more expensive Japanese malts (and I am not what you'd call a frequent/regular buyer there). You should be able to try Uigeadail before coughing up $100.

As for the rest of your post; this is a bit of a nostalgic point for me. None of the original Islay distilleries are independently-owned by the family companies that used to own them and time will tell if the new owners keep the tradition or turn the traditional methods of Islay single malt distilleries into the run of the mill alcohol production. I've visited all of them last summer and was amazed at how "old-time" in a good way some of them still are. Bowmore, which is owned by Suntory, maintains the entire process of aging and sampling just as they did for the last 5 decades. I've asked the foreman what is their involvement and he said that it's pretty much limited to one annual visit, which is largely ceremonial. The rest or the interaction is purely based on consumption demand forecasting/marketing/sales to Japanese customers. Very similar arrangements at Lagavulin which is owned by Diageo. Practically, no new lines/brands other than some limited editions/series. Lagavulin 16 is a fixture in the single malt universe – one of the most recognized and loved full-bodied-full-flavoured whiskeys in the Scotch world and they wanna keep it that way. Laphroaig distillery (Jim Beam-owned) is now doing a few "things" to increase revenue and including introduction of "non-aged" product lines and we'll have to see how it's gonna work out for them. But, again, they do keep the traditional distillery operation and aging processes and they keep producing aged whiskeys. Ardbeg and Bruichladdichis are walking away from all that towards "hip & trendy" brand. Not a complaint, just a nostalgic whine.

Last edited by CaptainYooh; 05-29-2015 at 02:39 PM.
CaptainYooh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainYooh For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2015, 02:36 PM   #536
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
Personally I mainly drink Johnny Walker Black, but I haven't experimented much beyond that (mainly because I really like it)
Boy are you in for a treat when you try something good.
Old 05-29-2015, 02:38 PM   #537
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I like my scotch this way too. What is your recommended scotch?
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 11:07 PM   #538
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcrunk View Post
I like my scotch this way too. What is your recommended scotch?
Springbank 17 y/o Sherry Cask (when I have the money) otherwise their regular 10 y/o keeps me and my bank account happy...

Also, Glen Scotia 12 y/o is a bit lighter overall and and easy on the wallet too - plus their tins have super cute highland cattle on them!

Edit: I should add, anything in a Sherry cask seems to fit the bill these days, GlenDronach, Glenrothes...

Last edited by MRCboicgy; 05-29-2015 at 11:29 PM.
MRCboicgy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MRCboicgy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2015, 12:17 AM   #539
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Glenrothes...
Mmm Glenrothes.

Their 1982 was bar none my favorite scotch ever. Really wishing I bought a second bottle for special occasions.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 03:24 PM   #540
Top Shelf
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Meant to post this earlier, but some good deals on Scotch right now at co-op

Top Shelf is offline   Reply With Quote