Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2015, 03:24 PM   #161
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Who is liable in the event of an accident with self-driving cars? Car manufacturers?
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 03:36 PM   #162
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Who is liable in the event of an accident with self-driving cars? Car manufacturers?
That's one of the legal issues that still needs to be resolved. I suspect it would be the manufacturer, for which they'd buy insurance. That insurance would either be rolled into the price of the car, or else you'd just pay the monthly premium like now, except it would probably be much lower.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 03:38 PM   #163
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome B. Wonderful View Post
Everyone keeps writing things like this, while forgetting that driving is a privilege, not a right.

There's nothing stopping the government from dictating specific roads be for self-driving cars only. There's nothing stopping governments from rescinding your license to drive entirely and dictating that all cars must now be self-driving.
No one rides horses on the road. I was implying "manually" driving on closed tracks or something of the sort.

While I agree on an idea regarding self driving cars only roads, the government dictating all cars must be self driving is a bit of a stretch, no? This probably wouldn't be an issue for 50+ years when the self driving cars exceed manual driving cars by a huge margin. I don't see how it's part of the current discussion

I never once contested the idea driving is a privilege and not a right. No idea where that part came from and why you're quoting me to do it. If you want people to lose licenses though, having their car track data on speed on roads (to see if you speed), driving habits etc and relaying it to insurance companies could make insurance costs so high, it would make driving prohibitive for many people.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 03:43 PM   #164
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashartus View Post
That's one of the legal issues that still needs to be resolved. I suspect it would be the manufacturer, for which they'd buy insurance. That insurance would either be rolled into the price of the car, or else you'd just pay the monthly premium like now, except it would probably be much lower.
Could be if we assume manufacturers code their own system. I'm more inclined to believe a shared platform be used (ie: Android used on many manufacturers phones). And thus a single entity be liable in the event of an accident.

ie: "Carsoft co." always liable for software errors, manufacturer liable if hardware issues. Unless a manufacturer is allowed and gets creative with the mods on the base programs run on cars. Then sorta like a car recall level of thing.
Old 05-28-2015, 04:10 PM   #165
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackArcher101 View Post
No, GPS wouldn't work, it's not accurate enough, nor reliable. Each car will have to have a passive/active system that communicates with other cars and detect it's surrounding environment. I do like the idea of having it kick in on freeways. Perhaps temporarily they can do that to get it implemented quicker as side roads and compact streets are where the biggest hurdles will be. Add those features as DLC later
GPS isn't nearly accurate enough at the moment. However, over the next few years the GNSS (GPS, Compass, Glonass, Galileo) satellite arrays will greatly improve the reliability. Accuracy could be improved to cm level if there was a need by augmenting GNSS signals with a ground based network broadcasting corrections.
GP_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 04:19 PM   #166
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP_Matt View Post
GPS isn't nearly accurate enough at the moment. However, over the next few years the GNSS (GPS, Compass, Glonass, Galileo) satellite arrays will greatly improve the reliability. Accuracy could be improved to cm level if there was a need by augmenting GNSS signals with a ground based network broadcasting corrections.
Drones? How about proximity sensors in other cars, curbs, road etc?

Not saying anything negative about your comment, just tossing out ideas.