Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2013, 12:03 PM   #41
RatherDashing
Scoring Winger

Exp:

What is everybody's favourite boot shop in town? I'm looking to get a new pair of touring boots this year. I've found for touring boots that the ski specific shops don't seem to have a great selection. Then MEC has the best selection but the people working there aren't exactly experts on the gear.
RatherDashing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:15 PM   #42
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

Is there a good place to get discounted passes for Whitefish? we're heading there for 5 days in February, wife got them at Costco last time i think, but anywhere other than that?

thanks,
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:20 PM   #43
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

snow show at Spruce Meodows coming up. November 2-3
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:38 PM   #44
19Yzerman19
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatherDashing View Post
What is everybody's favourite boot shop in town? I'm looking to get a new pair of touring boots this year. I've found for touring boots that the ski specific shops don't seem to have a great selection. Then MEC has the best selection but the people working there aren't exactly experts on the gear.
Ski West is pretty good for boot fitting as is Techno Sport. Whether they have the boot you want is a different issue as you're correct that touring gear is harder to find in stock since it generally doesn't justify its place on your wall. If I'm doing a buy for my ski shop and can put a pair of Scarpa Maestrales on my wall (say I buy a full size run), versus a Dalbello Krypton of some sort, I can be pretty damned sure I'll sell through the Dalbellos faster and won't have a bunch of pairs left at the end of the year. So I'm buying those. The other thing is if I buy a bunch of Solly boots and a bunch of Solly skis and bindings and outerwear, I'm probably getting better cost on those Solly boots than I would if I was just buying a full run of something else so my margins are better.

That's the problem with ski shops and touring gear. Outside of MEC (and possibly Fresh, randomly?) I don't know anywhere around here that stocks Dynafit. Honestly you might have better luck in Banff. Personally I'm just using Tecnica Cochise Pro Lights as a solution rather than buying a touring specific boot, but that's because they happen to fit me.
19Yzerman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 19Yzerman19 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2013, 12:39 PM   #45
fleuryisgod
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk diggler View Post
If anyone wants some free tickets to this stop by Sports Rent. We have aprox 20 or so to give away. Also as a reminder if you want you skis tuned our $20 complete tune special is down to its final week.
fleuryisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:35 PM   #46
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleuryisgod View Post
If anyone wants some free tickets to this stop by Sports Rent. We have aprox 20 or so to give away. Also as a reminder if you want you skis tuned our $20 complete tune special is down to its final week.
I'll take 4 if you have them, I'll be by tomorrow morning to grab them probably late morning
Old 10-23-2013, 02:51 PM   #47
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

I had my kids (7 & 6) in ski lessons last year, but now it's time for them to step up into a real man's sport (snowboarding). I'm thinking boards are cheap enough now that I'll just buy them one instead of screwing around with renting. Is there a rule of thumb for board length? Like as long as they are tall or anything like that?

TIA
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 03:03 PM   #48
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I had my kids (7 & 6) in ski lessons last year, but now it's time for them to step up into a real man's sport (snowboarding).
Do I call 911 for child abuse? Or just the regular police line?

Anyways, if you insist on doing that to your children, rule of thumb is bridge of the nose. Dependant on width and flex of course, which will be less prevalent in kids boards. One thing I will caution against (and drove me up the wall when I used to sell gear) - Don't buy them something huge so they can grow into it. Either buy used gear and flip it to save some coin, or if they're still in jr gear, lots of ski board shops do half-back for credit towards new gear at the end of the season. Way too many people don't take advantage of it. (Also, you can buy stuff that people did that with last year for cheaper than new, and most of the gear is barely used). That is a way better option than getting Sliver Junior and Sliver Juniorette a board that goes over their head that they can't steer just so you can buy one or two less boards over their boarding career. Not saying you'd be doing that, but I wanted to throw it out there.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2013, 03:07 PM   #49
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy77 View Post
Is there a good place to get discounted passes for Whitefish? we're heading there for 5 days in February, wife got them at Costco last time i think, but anywhere other than that?

thanks,
Costco.

They also have a Frequent Skier card available until Mid Dec. Not sure the regs/details.

http://skiwhitefish.com/winter_tickets_passes.php

Are you staying right at the hill? They also do $50/day passes if you're staying on the property, but you have to order them prior to check-in.

Quote:
Also as a reminder if you want you skis tuned our $20 complete tune special is down to its final week.
Thanks for the reminder. 6 pairs incoming in about an hour!
Old 10-23-2013, 03:08 PM   #50
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I had my kids (7 & 6) in ski lessons last year, but now it's time for them to step up into a real man's sport (snowboarding). I'm thinking boards are cheap enough now that I'll just buy them one instead of screwing around with renting. Is there a rule of thumb for board length? Like as long as they are tall or anything like that?

TIA
first and most important thing to teach your kids if they start snowboarding

DON"T SIT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE RUN UNDER A ROLLER!!!! MOVE TO THE SIDE

I don't know how many boarders I've almost impaled
Old 10-23-2013, 03:10 PM   #51
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
Costco.

They also have a Frequent Skier card available until Mid Dec. Not sure the regs/details.

http://skiwhitefish.com/winter_tickets_passes.php

Are you staying right at the hill? They also do $50/day passes if you're staying on the property, but you have to order them prior to check-in.

Thanks for the reminder. 6 pairs incoming in about an hour!
Thanks, we're staying on the hill but it's not affiliated with the mountain its a VRBO rental Pinnacle Ridge (great place to stay we've been there a few times)
Old 10-23-2013, 03:11 PM   #52
fleuryisgod
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy77 View Post
I'll take 4 if you have them, I'll be by tomorrow morning to grab them probably late morning
I have 4 set aside for you. Currently we are open 10-7 everyday.
The Following User Says Thank You to fleuryisgod For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2013, 03:21 PM   #53
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
Do I call 911 for child abuse? Or just the regular police line?

Anyways, if you insist on doing that to your children, rule of thumb is bridge of the nose. Dependant on width and flex of course, which will be less prevalent in kids boards. One thing I will caution against (and drove me up the wall when I used to sell gear) - Don't buy them something huge so they can grow into it. Either buy used gear and flip it to save some coin, or if they're still in jr gear, lots of ski board shops do half-back for credit towards new gear at the end of the season. Way too many people don't take advantage of it. (Also, you can buy stuff that people did that with last year for cheaper than new, and most of the gear is barely used). That is a way better option than getting Sliver Junior and Sliver Juniorette a board that goes over their head that they can't steer just so you can buy one or two less boards over their boarding career. Not saying you'd be doing that, but I wanted to throw it out there.
Awesome tips, thanks man. I'll go with the bridge of the nose when I measure them up. I'll check Kijiji for used, but damn kids boards are pretty cheap new. Like this one at Sport Chek for $99.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 03:26 PM   #54
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Awesome tips, thanks man. I'll go with the bridge of the nose when I measure them up. I'll check Kijiji for used, but damn kids boards are pretty cheap new. Like this one at Sport Chek for $99.
Yeah kids stuff is really reasonable now. There's a K2 for $149 that looks like a decent choice too. And depending on foot sizes you may be able to get away with keeping the bindings and just upgrading the board and boots.

Here's that trade-up program I was mentioning:
http://www.sportchek.ca/shop/index.j...goryId=4392648
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2013, 03:27 PM   #55
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk diggler View Post
I've never been to this before but is it really worthwhile? I have new skis and boots. is there giveaways there? discounted lift tickets? just wondering what to expect before I go.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:36 PM   #56
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Yzerman19 View Post
There are always pairs on Kijiji. Value varies. I always find the ski swaps in actual ski towns to be better - Canmore or Banff. What kind of skis do you need?
Not very picky, looking for an all mountain ski that can handle some powder.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 03:47 PM   #57
fleuryisgod
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSutterDynasty View Post
Not very picky, looking for an all mountain ski that can handle some powder.

I would look into the Volkl Kendo. Fantastic ski that can handle pretty much anything you throw at it. Another one to look into would be the Rossi Experience 88.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:16 PM   #58
rd_aaron
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Any tips for cheaper passes for Fernie? I don't recall seeing them at Costco. I have an AMA membership so it looks like I could get them for around $75 there (not a huge discount).

Additionally, how often should I be getting my skis tuned up/waxed? They are used skis and I'm a casual skiier (15 days over the past 3 years). If you have newer skis, does it make a difference in how often you should get them tuned?
rd_aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 04:42 PM   #59
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I would look into the Volkl Kendo. Fantastic ski that can handle pretty much anything you throw at it. Another one to look into would be the Rossi Experience 88.
The Rossis were actually one I was looking at! Thanks for this input.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:11 PM   #60
fleuryisgod
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd_aaron View Post
Any tips for cheaper passes for Fernie? I don't recall seeing them at Costco. I have an AMA membership so it looks like I could get them for around $75 there (not a huge discount).

Additionally, how often should I be getting my skis tuned up/waxed? They are used skis and I'm a casual skiier (15 days over the past 3 years). If you have newer skis, does it make a difference in how often you should get them tuned?
Not too sure on any specific deals but don't forget that if you buy them in Alberta you will be saving an additional 7% (I think) because of PST. So the AMA deal saves you approx $12-15.

If you are a casual skier tune them or at minimal wax them at the start of the season. If you are averaging 5 days a year that should be all you really need.