Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2022, 11:04 PM   #101
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

####ing hell. Gas up another dime. Haven’t had a raise in 4 years (unions are so great until they’re not), didn’t get to work from home during Covid, feel like I’m sliding pretty far into ‘no longer making enough money’ territory. Supposed to take a stupid ‘vacation’ to see family in Vancouver and all I can think about is how I don’t have a couple thousand dollars to be spending on a weekend.

And I sold my Micra when gas was a 1.46/L. For #### sakes.
Old 06-06-2022, 11:57 PM   #102
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Alberta gov: We'll work to mitigate the climb in gas prices

Gas pumps tomorrow morning:
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 12:02 AM   #103
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
The saying "Tell me you never done (blank) without telling me you never done (blank).". So obnoxious, overdone and not funny.
12 Life Tips (from a 22 year old on instagram who doesn't spellcheck) that will make you un-recog-nizable!

Or just every goddamn thing online being presented as a list.
Old 06-07-2022, 08:02 AM   #104
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
####ing hell. Gas up another dime. Haven’t had a raise in 4 years (unions are so great until they’re not), didn’t get to work from home during Covid, feel like I’m sliding pretty far into ‘no longer making enough money’ territory. Supposed to take a stupid ‘vacation’ to see family in Vancouver and all I can think about is how I don’t have a couple thousand dollars to be spending on a weekend.

And I sold my Micra when gas was a 1.46/L. For #### sakes.
I was anti-EV for the longest time but recently did a 180 and while the transition hasn't been flawless, I certainly don't miss the sicker shock at the pumps.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 08:50 AM   #105
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I GMG. I committed the cardinal sin of hot pepper handling. I bought some Jamaican hot peppers from T&T on the weekend and thought I’d try pickling them. I cleaned, cored, removed the seeds, etc. After finishing, washed my hands, and I was about to leave the house and thought I should just move them off the cutting board and transfer them to a bowl. Didn’t wash my hands that time - obviously a mistake - got in the car and without thinking, used my finger to dislodge a eye-crusty from the corner of my eye. Nothing bad immediately. Drove my daughter to meet her friend and while parked I could feel the fire starting to engulf my eyes and face. I was having trouble keeping that eye open and then I tried using my sleeve to wipe the tears away but all that did was just spread it around and made it worse. While mostly blind, I was able to rummage through my daughter’s things and found a bottle of water. I got out of the car, and started dosing my face with water, but I couldn’t open my eyes enough to flush them out, so all I was really accomplishing was soaking myself. Eventually, I forced my eyes open, but I had basically run out water. At that point though, my daughter and her friend had come out, no doubt wondering why I was pacing back and forth next to the car, facing the sky, and dumping water on my face. After receiving some well-deserved admonishment for not handling the peppers properly, they went back and retrieved more water for me and eventually I was able to open my eyes and see without searing pain.

Anyway, that was fun.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2022, 09:00 AM   #106
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I GMG. I committed the cardinal sin of hot pepper handling. I bought some Jamaican hot peppers from T&T on the weekend and thought I’d try pickling them. I cleaned, cored, removed the seeds, etc. After finishing, washed my hands, and I was about to leave the house and thought I should just move them off the cutting board and transfer them to a bowl. Didn’t wash my hands that time - obviously a mistake - got in the car and without thinking, used my finger to dislodge a eye-crusty from the corner of my eye. Nothing bad immediately. Drove my daughter to meet her friend and while parked I could feel the fire starting to engulf my eyes and face. I was having trouble keeping that eye open and then I tried using my sleeve to wipe the tears away but all that did was just spread it around and made it worse. While mostly blind, I was able to rummage through my daughter’s things and found a bottle of water. I got out of the car, and started dosing my face with water, but I couldn’t open my eyes enough to flush them out, so all I was really accomplishing was soaking myself. Eventually, I forced my eyes open, but I had basically run out water. At that point though, my daughter and her friend had come out, no doubt wondering why I was pacing back and forth next to the car, facing the sky, and dumping water on my face. After receiving some well-deserved admonishment for not handling the peppers properly, they went back and retrieved more water for me and eventually I was able to open my eyes and see without searing pain.

Anyway, that was fun.

I made that mistake once but my wife was on the receiving end. Not good….
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 09:05 AM   #107
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

It grinds my gears that the norm for meetings is to start 2-3 minutes late. If the meeting is at 9:00am, then it should start at 9:00am. I know it's only a few minutes, but it always annoys me when I am on and ready to go at 9:00 and the host does the old "we'll wait a few minutes and then get started". Why is showing up on time so hard for some?
Old 06-07-2022, 09:38 AM   #108
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

That’s what sucks about virtual meetings. 1-2min sitting there in silence seems like an eternity.

But in person? Really does not matter.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Looch City For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2022, 09:48 AM   #109
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
It grinds my gears that the norm for meetings is to start 2-3 minutes late. If the meeting is at 9:00am, then it should start at 9:00am. I know it's only a few minutes, but it always annoys me when I am on and ready to go at 9:00 and the host does the old "we'll wait a few minutes and then get started". Why is showing up on time so hard for some?
Book your meetings to run from 9:05 AM to 9:30 AM. You can even configure Outlook to do it for you (the 'Start late' option in Settings > Calendar) so when you book a meeting, it will automatically set the start time to 5 minutes after (eg: 9:05 or 9:35).

It's a great option for people in back-to-back-to-back meetings to grab water, coffee, take a bio break, whatever.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 10:16 AM   #110
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

I do this all the time. If I have meetings nonstop all morning, at some point, one of them is going to go over by a few minutes. Not to mention that at some point I'm going to need to take a leak, so I'll be a minute or two late.
Canadianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 10:26 AM   #111
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
That's what I love about my new boss. Senior managers meeting is scheduled for 9AM, it starts at 9AM. I go early and work on my laptop until it starts.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 10:29 AM   #112
Misterpants
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It's worse when people feel like they need to stretch their meeting for the full hour in order to prove it was productive and worthwhile.
Misterpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 10:48 AM   #113
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

On the topic of meetings, WTF is with some management flexing their status by doing meetings at 7am, when the team is only 2 hours apart from each other. F off with that crap.
Even better is the "Hey, lets meet tomorrow, how about breakfast at 6:30" Are you ####ting me?
Old 06-07-2022, 03:09 PM   #114
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'll never (again) partake in a business that expects me to be cognizant and functional before 8am.

Unless we're talking about call with someone in a different time zone.

Mornings and I are oil and water.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2022, 03:16 PM   #115
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
I'll never (again) partake in a business that expects me to be cognizant and functional before 8am.

I've never been a morning person either, unfortunately I chose a business that operates 24/7 and generally begins 'regular hours' before 8am even for office workers and non shift workers.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 07:41 PM   #116
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

I’ve been learning more about sleep. Turns out, this is a totally valid, scientifically backed argument when assessing health and safety in the workplace. My entire life I have fought through mornings and stayed up late. As it is, I’ve spent a long time fighting the natural, unchangeable rhythm of my physiology, to my detriment.

Good on your for recognizing that and not putting up with the destructive health consequences.
Old 06-07-2022, 07:52 PM   #117
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:

When I have to drive in to Toronto for work meetings/site visits they always say something hilarious like “I start at 8 so let’s meet then”. Yeah…. I’ll be there at 10:30.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 08:04 PM   #118
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's another reason I don't go to meetings.

No, this isn't a problem that needs 10 of us to discuss for an hour to solve. No, you don't need to chime in after the fact so everyone knows you were involved. Sorry, I'm not going, you guys have fun.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2022, 08:54 PM   #119
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
I’ve been learning more about sleep. Turns out, this is a totally valid, scientifically backed argument when assessing health and safety in the workplace. My entire life I have fought through mornings and stayed up late. As it is, I’ve spent a long time fighting the natural, unchangeable rhythm of my physiology, to my detriment.

Good on your for recognizing that and not putting up with the destructive health consequences.
Yup. When you've tried your entire life to be that "early riser" that's traditionally highly regarded but its just not you, eventually you have to say #### it. And no longer care to bend yourself into a type that you're clearly not.

Don't know about others, but I need really high quality, uninterrupted sleep to not feel totally doped out and not myself early in the morning. That's achieved only some of the time.

Work should not have to be such a struggle physiologically, and you want to be in a state where you can offer your best work and self.

My conclusion has been that there has to be a good handful of jobs out there that meet my time window where I can be useful. And there usually are.

If you're a nocturnal person that functions best in the second half of the day then all the power to you man. Some of us are just different.

Long mornings mean a lull in energy at 2-3 pm anyways. What's the point. Start your work day at 10-11 and be able to kick ass till the evening hours

Imo it's something we should normalize!

Last edited by djsFlames; 06-08-2022 at 12:25 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2022, 11:04 PM   #120
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
I made that mistake once but my wife was on the receiving end. Not good….
I probably deserved it for tricking my family to be taste testers.

"hey, try these, they aren't really as hot as they look"

and then later:

"hey, they totally mellowed out after pickling"

None of the above statements were actually true. I'm just easily amused.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote